SAU Community

What Is A Good Family Car For 4 People?

hi guys,

what do u think is a good family for a family of 4? room for the pram & baby seats

something with balls would be great as my wife enjoys driving my 700hp gtr :D

is the nissan stagea a good car (being a wagon has plenty of room 1 would think), anything to watch out for with these?

what else is recommended?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you want besides the room? E.g. power?

Commodore and Falcon wagons are where it's at for room and practicality. If you want something with guts by all means the Stagea...

stageas dont have that much rear leg room considering how long they look. saying that yeh there good cars... other similar wagons i would consider are the mitsubishi legnum or toyota caldina gtt....... or even and r34 sedan but rear leg room is shit. my bro has a jzx1000 toyota chaser and that hauls ass and has more space!

power attracts me to the stagea & they seem to be very well priced. what are the differences with the stagea's from 1996 - 2003?

i am not familiar with the mitsubishi legnum, toyota caldina gtt or jzx1000 toyota chaser so i'll check these out on google

Are you set on an import too? Because for family comfort and suitability for Aussie roads...the Aussie manufacturers have it downpat. There's a reason Taxi drivers cart around in them :D

Depreciation sucks a bit...but along with it comes better/cheaper local support for parts and servicing.

Are you set on an import too? Because for family comfort and suitability for Aussie roads...the Aussie manufacturers have it downpat. There's a reason Taxi drivers cart around in them :D

Depreciation sucks a bit...but along with it comes better/cheaper local support for parts and servicing.

u raise 2 valid points

i see it as buying an gtr v's a commodore - you get sooo much more with a jap car

i feel the same about these wagons, creature comfort/finish/performance is like chalk & cheese (& the depreciation is not as aggressive)

stageas dont have that much rear leg room considering how long they look. saying that yeh there good cars... other similar wagons i would consider are the mitsubishi legnum or toyota caldina gtt....... or even and r34 sedan but rear leg room is shit. my bro has a jzx1000 toyota chaser and that hauls ass and has more space!

Come again? Last time I checked my Stag, it still had plenty of leg room, enough for 3 full grown adults sitting comfortably for several hours on the Hume Hwy.

my thoughts are - you've already saidyou have a 700hp GTR

you want a car that you can put prams and baby seats into that "still has balls"

why do you want a car that has balls if you're carrying a baby around!!!! haha

caldina GT-4 is apparently quite slow all things considered - and are only avail as a manual.,

stagea is not as fast as a skyline and are apparently terrible on fuel consumption - thoguh they do look bad ass

legnum - hmmmm nah

what about a subaru liberty B4 blitzen?

2005gtbspeck2kit.jpg

my personal bias says... if you're going to be carrying around kids, kids means prams, as kids grow, prams become bikes, bikes become karate nunchuks, skateboards, scooters, mum might wanna do yoga etc etc... wagon won't fit all of this. my bias says go tarago.

van8.jpg

the b4 would be nice but out of my budget.

stagea range from 8k-15k & sounds like a more attractive option

does anyone know the major differences with the stagea year models?

for example, gtr raneg u have 32, 33 & 34 & have the same powerplant - pretty simple (i wish i understood the stagea in the same way)

Haha, see marko im covering both angles ... doing an 800hp 4door auto R33 :D

Haha, but i too am in the same boat, looking for a nice stock daily that isnt turbo'd (else i'll mess with it) ..

Geoff at prestige just sent an email out saying the newer M35 350RX stageas will have compliance in aus in januuary ... nice 3.5 v6 .... about 21-29K depending on year and kays.

I'll forward you the email. I think i have your email .....PM me with it incase i haven't got it if your interested

Gary

+1 for the aussie junker. going to have more room than most jap cars, excellent seats, more than enough power for daily driving, cheap to buy, cheap to insure and cheap to fix. i find commodores and falcons more comfortable on long drives because of the reach adjustable steering. i can put the seat back a long way (get sore knees with the seat forward) and bring the steering wheel back to suit. in other cars i've had (180sx, r33 and n15 pulsar) i have to have the seat further foward so i can still comfortably/safely have the steering wheel where i want it and when i go on trips of anything over about an hour i start to get a cramp in my left leg. never had that issue in a commodore or falcon or magna. also where i live the roads are pretty crap and the aussie cars ride better. and even the sedans have a massive boot.

depreciation on them isn't too bad either in the 10 to 15k mark because they have already dropped most of their value in the first 2 or 3 years.

Add Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 into the mix, they're a good deal quicker from the factory than the Stagea, not as easy to mod though.

+1

I quite like these cars.

does the 260rs have the rb26dett under the bonnet?

is it awd as well?

Yes it is 4WD and yes it has a RB26DETT.

It's an AUTECH version, 260RS

Mechanics

2.6 L DOHC Turbo-I6 (Type RB26DETT), 280 hp (209 kW)

Rear mechanical LSD

Special exhaust system

Improved suspension system

Special rear stabilizer

Brembo brake system

Front strut brace

Body strengthening

Front crossbar

Strengthening tunnel stay

Triple crossbar

Exterior

BBS made forged aluminum wheels

Special front bumper

Super fine hard paint

Rear under protector

Interior

MOMO sport steering wheel

Special seat trim

Leather shift knob

Leather parking brake lever

GTR style meters (front torque, oil pressure and boost)

Pics - http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/modul...hp?StockID=4252

+1 for the aussie junker. going to have more room than most jap cars, excellent seats, more than enough power for daily driving, cheap to buy, cheap to insure and cheap to fix. i find commodores and falcons more comfortable on long drives because of the reach adjustable steering. i can put the seat back a long way (get sore knees with the seat forward) and bring the steering wheel back to suit. in other cars i've had (180sx, r33 and n15 pulsar) i have to have the seat further foward so i can still comfortably/safely have the steering wheel where i want it and when i go on trips of anything over about an hour i start to get a cramp in my left leg. never had that issue in a commodore or falcon or magna. also where i live the roads are pretty crap and the aussie cars ride better. and even the sedans have a massive boot.

depreciation on them isn't too bad either in the 10 to 15k mark because they have already dropped most of their value in the first 2 or 3 years.

Yep my vote is for a home grown shit box too.

So many +'s cheap cheap cheap

But I can understand if you dont want to be seen in one :down:

I just had a kid and bought myself an Accord V6 luxo, not bad but not my first choice (was also looking at a maxima). Boot is large enough for the pram.

Would have also looked at wagons but wife hates wagons and likes her hondas (thanks to the old civic). Besides, I got my GTR so I don't argue if she wants the honda :down:

I would also consider the Legnum, Liberty/Forester wagon (by STI is good...seen them cheap, but of course your budget is not that high).

Assuming your budget is $15k I think you might want to look local, and the kid will wreck your interior, trust me...Falcon wagon is good, otherwise you could go for Mazda 6 wagon or Magna wagons if you want it cheap (they're actually good cars although bland as bat shit).

If you can live with a sedan instead (as I have) then that would increase your options.

Otherwise maybe a soccermum SUV but then of course forget about power :P

you saw the aussie junker Stace bought Marko...mint car...wont depreciate...cost only 5K. Thats the way to go id say...buy a commodore wagon and blend in with the crowd.

I know where there is a mint factory VL turbo Berlina wagon 5 speed with low k's...but a bit dearer than what Stace paid for the NA sedan.

Edited by DiRTgarage