SAU Community

Fyi: R33 Gtst Brake Upgrade On A R34 Gt Non Turbo

Hi Guys,

just thought i'd give you guys a heads up before anyone decides to do a R33 GTST brake upgrade on a R34 GT Non turbo.

R34 GT - 14mm diameter bolt (same as GTT)

R33 GTST - 12mm diameter bolt

Whats needed to make it fit properly?

1) change uprights to R33 GTST (but that cost $$ & labour intensive)

2) redrill calipers to suit 14mm bolt (also could be costly and has potential of stuffing up and ruining the calipers, also labour intensive)

3) easiest & cheapest way is to fit a metal sleeve that reduces the hub hole from 14mm > 12mm - 10mm in length

I'm getting some made up interstate and should be getting them mid-end of this week.

if anyone is interested, pm me and i can organise a set of 4 (2 each side) to be shipped out to you.

Here is a picture of the sleeve (picture shows 30mm but what im getting is a 10mm long sleeve)

20sc509.jpg

how it works & you can also see the backing plate has been modded to accomodate the larger rotor;

dme1it.jpg

You can get GTT brakes and they will bolt straight up (will need to modify backing plate to accomodate the larger rotor, same issue when fitting the GTST brakes as well) but we all know how rare and expensive the GTT brakes are compared to the readily available R33 GTST brakes.

Hope this will help you R34 GT NA boys in future so you don't get the same shock that i got when i found out the bolts weren't a perfect fit :D

Time to start enjoying some 4 pot brakes baby :P

Weird..

I did the 33gts-t brake upgrade on my car months ago and it was a direct swap.. no modding or anything like you need to do..

Im sure the 34 N/A came with the 12mm size because I posted a while ago about putting 32GTR brakes on my car and was told of the differences.

I think you are just unlucky enough (or lucky if you prefer) to have GTT hubs.

Have a search about '32 GTR brake upgrade' or similar, it was in here or the Suspension/Braking section (I created the thread if it helps) to have a look and see what was said in there..

Hope it works out well for you, and congrats to adding ever more confusion as to which model parts go on the N/A 34 haha

The R34 NA runs the same na calipers/rotors as the R33 NA.

I've bolted the R33 gtst calipers and rotors on my R34, straight swap.

If you want to run the R34 GTT stuff you need to drill out the caliper bolt hole to 14mm like you mentioned, but since theres a 12mm hole there to start off with you would have to be retarded to stuff drilling that out to 14mm.

If you want to run the R34 GTT stuff you need to drill out the caliper bolt hole to 14mm like you mentioned, but since theres a 12mm hole there to start off with you would have to be retarded to stuff drilling that out to 14mm.

negative,

mine already has a 14mm hole not the 12mm as i thought so therefore its not a straight bolt on as the 12mm bolt is too small for the 14mm hole obviously.

i will post up pics to show you guys the difference size in bolts.

If i was to run GTT brakes, it would be a straight swap as they use the 14mm bolt size like whats on mine atm.

im not drilling anything or tapping anything, simply just fitting the sleeve to reduce the 14mm size to 12mm so i can run the 33 gtst caliper with the 12mm bolt.

i rekon the GT-X & GT-T comes with this size and is different to the standard GT & GT-Four.

negative,

mine already has a 14mm hole not the 12mm as i thought so therefore its not a straight bolt on as the 12mm bolt is too small for the 14mm hole obviously.

i will post up pics to show you guys the difference size in bolts.

If i was to run GTT brakes, it would be a straight swap as they use the 14mm bolt size like whats on mine atm.

im not drilling anything or tapping anything, simply just fitting the sleeve to reduce the 14mm size to 12mm so i can run the 33 gtst caliper with the 12mm bolt.

i rekon the GT-X & GT-T comes with this size and is different to the standard GT & GT-Four.

Yeah thats what I meant, on the GT's its only 12mm and the brakes are the same as the r33 gts. My brother has a r33 gts and we converted the brakes over to the gtst stuff at the same time as mine and both of ours were identical.

If yours had the bigger 14mm bolt and is a GT-X i wonder why it didnt have the GT-T brakes on their aswell? It must only be the GT-V?

Edited by R34GTFOUR

• 4 years later...

i know this is an old thread but im hoping you can help, i have a ENR34 (non turbo 2 door 4WD) which i though is a GT-4 but was told it was a GT-X? thought they were only 4 door?

anyway im about to do a brake upgrade and am not sure what size my bolts are and what my best options are out of the 34 GTT and 33 GTST, planning to turbo it eventually so want enough braking power but don't want to have to drill out parts

• 4 weeks later...