Photo

Toyo 888 20 Inch

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

• Car(s):R35, Patrol
Has anyone heard whether there has been any improvement since their previous disastrous pre release review which compared them against the stock dunlops?
anyone know of a local supplier?
GT-RR has them at $1600 US a set excluding shipping and taxes

Posted 05 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

Posted Image

Duncan

• Car(s):GMG R35
I really think the lower profile on these is going to let them down (for our heavy cars). Happy to be proven otherwise though.

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

No Comment

• sewid
  • Members

• 5,013 posts
  • Car(s):Lexus ISF
Im eagerly waiting to find out myself. All reports so far have been negative but noone I know has been using the final version yet.

Posted 06 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

Duncan

hopefully we'll get some unbiased reviews soon. either way being the first r compound 20", they should sell well for the casual track day warriors

Posted 06 September 2009 - 07:46 PM

There's 2 articles about them here ...

http://www.gtrblog.c...gt-r-sizes-soo/

http://www.gtrblog.c...he-proxes-r888/

- The Tuners Group

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

SAU Vic Ex-President.

• Car(s):R34, R35, R36, R50
Yeah I wouldn't be rushing out on a set of these just yet.

I know on the older model GT-R's the R888's never worked well so I can't see how a heavier car is going to improve matters!

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

2004 - 2008 Dutton Rallies
2009 - 2012 Tarmac Rallies
2013 + Time to start racing!

ビール男爵

• Interests:Japanese Fine Burger
  • Car(s):32GTR 34GTR S13 Truck RX7
my thoughts as well. I've tried the 19s on a 35 and it was slower than the factory 20 dunlops. I can't imagine the 20s being any giant step up. they R888s are very popular and seem to work very well in the smaller sizes and on smaller/lighter cars, civics, little alfas, mini's etc they work great. even silvias etc they are pretty good. but as snowy said they didn't really hold up too well on 32-34 GTRs and with more power and more weight on the R35 GTR they were not great. just my opinion though and it's possible the 'new' 20s are better but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

FOR SALE - My Lancer EVO VI RS - Genuine RS model Tuned in Japan By CYBER EVO - perfect weekend/track/tarmac rally car

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/351107-genuine-evo-vi-rs-for-sale-fully-complied-and-regod/

Beer Baron's Japan Photo Diary. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/t167888.html

Now with 2007 Nismo Festival Pics :) AND now with Tsukuba Hyper Rev Super Lap battle pics too. 28/12/07 added more pic. Some Tokyo pics and Garage Saurus pics. :)

My Super Clean Nissan Atlas 200 Truck for sale, feel the awesome 4.2ltr diesel power whilst comfortably transporting your goods!

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Beer-Barons-Nissan-Atlas-t227090.html

Duncan

Well the silence on the USA forums about this is deafening... the odd review that comes out shows there is no improvement running the 888's (except for the ocassional knob who reckons they run fantasic.. with extra lateral grip etc et etc... then you find out it's a review running on the street... ffs). One guy has compared the 888's to the Bridgestones recently (at the track) and has not found any lap time. So thus far, 888's are more expensive than stockers, and i reckon on par if not slower than the Dunlops. As per all of the above.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:27 AM

agree, if they had performed as people suggested there would be good data out there by now but there is nothing.
funny thing is the vendors keep selling them to GTR owners as the tire of choice to stick on all their aftermarket wheels, track and street!
people really have a hang up with the dunlops being runflats that they just cant get over for some reason - they mustn't be cool.

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:49 PM

Posted Image

• Car(s):R35 GTR ADM April 09

Well the silence on the USA forums about this is deafening... the odd review that comes out shows there is no improvement running the 888's (except for the ocassional knob who reckons they run fantasic.. with extra lateral grip etc et etc... then you find out it's a review running on the street... ffs). One guy has compared the 888's to the Bridgestones recently (at the track) and has not found any lap time. So thus far, 888's are more expensive than stockers, and i reckon on par if not slower than the Dunlops. As per all of the above.

FWIW Tony Quinn and Steve Jones were running the Dunlops in the classic adelaide. Only one GT-R was running the 888's and it was the least competitive of the three.... Not saying that the tyres were the reason it was slower but that the most experienced and fastest runners chose the Dunlops over the Toyos which must say something.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

SAU Vic Ex-President.

• Car(s):R34, R35, R36, R50
Just an update from the Targa guys.

Steve Jones ran the R888's at Mt Buller (came 2nd outright) on his R35 on the weekend and his feedback on the Toyo's were that they weren't perfect but they did give a more consistant feel than the factory Dunlops do and he'll be sticking with them going forwards.

Basically he said he didn't think they were any faster but he said they were more predictable and hence he could push harder with confidence.

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

2004 - 2008 Dutton Rallies
2009 - 2012 Tarmac Rallies
2013 + Time to start racing!

Duncan

finally some real feedback, thanks Snowy. Anyone tried them on a racetrack/circuit yet?

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:14 PM

thanks for sharing. Anyone know if they are they available in aus anywhere or are they import only?

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

• Car(s):R35 ADM

thanks for sharing. Anyone know if they are they available in aus anywhere or are they import only?

Taleb Tyres at Arncliffe here in Sydney said they were bringing them in....may even have them in stock by now.

Posted 08 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

thanks Jeff

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

Posted Image

Mick from Taleb Tyres sorted me out with some Toyo 888's. Dunlop's were not going to be available on time so took a punt on the Toyos.
Whether you are after the Bridgestone stockers, Dunlop stockers or the Toyos these guys have the best prices and offer good service.
Shipped no problem to Brisbane, Thanks Mick/Ali
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:27 PM

Posted Image

Duncan

goodluck with these. what hot pressures are you thinking of running?

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:00 PM

waiting for some feedback via pm from nagtroc, maybe 28-30psi cold? Hot to 36psi?
maybe less cold. I am led to believe they are very sensitive to temps.suggestions anyone?

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

ok weighed the wheels when swapping over

Front stock wheels and Bridgstones 28.6kg
Front HRE 590R wheels and Bridgstones 28.3kg
Front stock wheels and Toyo 888 26.4kg

Rear stock wheels and Bridgstones 30.0kg
Rear HRE 590R wheels and Bridgstones 29.7kg
Rear stock wheels and Toyo 888 27.4kg

Fancy 3 piece wheels 0.3kg lighter than stock. who would of guessed that!
20 inch nonrunflats save about 2.6kg over stock runflats per corner

Posted 05 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

Posted Image

who would of guessed that!
20 inch nonrunflats save about 2.6kg over stock runflats per corner

Thats why the base model GTR IE less run flats, leather trim and bose is lighter, but the manual says its only 10kg lighter.

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:51 PM

Dominic
Sydney
Ever Since the Daewoo Lanos was discontinued, No other car has been able to fill that void. But an R35 GTR comes close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users