SAU Community

Manual Conversion

• 5 months later...
i done a conversion about 3 years ago, cost me 4 grand all up then, for me it was worth it as the car was spotless inside and out. things you need as folloews

tailshaft

clutch

flywheel (machine before use)

gbox

shifter

console and inner and outer boot

brake peddle

clutch peddle with slave and master cylinder and hydraulic line

spigot

manual dash

wiring modded

can still use auto computer (i have only just changed it)

can still use auto diff (will be about 9km fast at 100km)

this conversion only takes a few hours with the right equipment so i wouldn't be paying over $1000 for labor, the car acts and looks like a manual except it has the little power/snow button.

hop this helps

Hi all,

Are there any other tell tale signs that an auto car has been converted to manual? Im also confused about the power/snow button. Where and what exactly is that?

Im in the process of buying a car and would not want one that has been converted to manual.

Thanks a lot! :down:

• 3 weeks later...

as far as i know, there is some wiring that is down near the washer bottle on 33's that needs looping. (attached pics) not sure about anything else

post-24566-1269307989_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1269307956_thumb.jpg

and the power/snow button is in the next pic

post-24566-1269308021_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

as far as the wiring is concerned, i confirm what Pal has said above,

if you look closely in his first two pictures, the top grey plug has two wires which need to be bridged (joined) just as his does.

the second plug from the top also grey has 8 wires. 3 of those you will need. and they are the green the white and the black.

when i wired mine up i went off this post http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/347765-converting-my-r33-to-manual/

and verified the gearbox side wiring with a multimeter to check and i also confirm those results too.

just to clarify a little. the black wire on that second grey plug from the top i used as a common earth for both the neutral switch and reverse switch.

these two switches on the gearbox have two wires each so just join one of each to the earth (black wire) and the green wire to the remaining reverse switch wire and the white wire to the other remaining wire on the neutral switch.

you can use a multimeter to figure out which one is the reverse switch by using your continuity function or you can by trial and error just twist them up temporaily with the ignition on and chuck it in reverse and see if the reverse lights come on. there is no danger in this approach of blowing anything as the switches have the same electrical characteristics and earth to the engine with no additional current.

i also used this post in the diy which was helpfull too. http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/139916-diy-r34-manual-conversion-using-r33-parts/

thanks Pal for your help too!!!!!

• 7 months later...

Its such a shock seeing what you guys paid all these years ago... 3k for parts??? Glad I waited till now as I've picked up pretty much everything under the body - complete rear end (diff, cradle, arms etc), complete front end (rack, arms, hubs etc) and gearbox conversion for $700.