SAU Community

R34 Manual Conversion In Melb?

Charles89

Yes, you need to notify VicRoads. If your make/model came with that gearbox from factory (as is the case) that's I as far I know - no engineering, inspection etc. required. Can someone else confirm this though?

Just in case anyone else is looking I have some more information on this. I spoke with VicRoads and as per their 'Guide to Modifications for Motor Vehicles' no engineering certificate (VASS) is required if the replacement transmission was available as a factory option i.e. is from the same make and model, and there are no structural changes to the vehicle.

To notify VicRoads, what you need to do is fill the 'Change of vehicle details' form.

HOWEVER apparently you need to take the form in personally, and the vehicle needs to be sighted (I thought not)... Has anyone done this in recent years, how involved is this process?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Reposting, I think didn't pick the right thread previously...)

More questions. I started collecting the required parts but need to clarify a couple more things from anyone who's done this:

1. Can I reuse my original auto gearbox mount and cross member with the manual box? Both are R34.

2. Can I reuse my original auto shifter trim and just add a leather gaiter for the manual shifter? The cutout in the manual trim seems a bit bigger (see photos below), I'm just wanting to make sure that there's enough space for the shifter to move.

3. There's a fair bit of tar and grime inside the bellhousing of the manual gearbox that's going in and it's sitting pretty tight, what's the best way to clean that up?

Thanks guys!

13164627415_c6d7986e64_z.jpg

1. Can I reuse my original auto gearbox mount and cross member with the manual box? Both are R34.

2. Can I reuse my original auto shifter trim and just add a leather gaiter for the manual shifter? The cutout in the manual trim seems a bit bigger (see photos below), I'm just wanting to make sure that there's enough space for the shifter to move.

Anyone know answers to the above? Thanks!

Edited by V28VX37

• 3 months later...

A quick update on this, I had the conversion done at Advanced Jap Auto, they did a good job.

Some advice for new players, do not piece together a manual conversion kit yourself if you can help it, it's a massive headache chasing down all the separate parts.

And just to answer my own questions above, yes you can reuse the auto gearbox mount and cross member, as well as the shifter trim (although it won't look very pretty).