SAU Community

More Thoughts About The Rb/vg Gcg Hi Flow ...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i had money to burn, it would be HKS GT2835 Pro S in a heart beat. Amazing turbo. But my highflow was $800. I would have got about 10rwkw more perhaps (maybe 10-15) and maybe 100rpm earlier on boost (with the HKS) and just couldn't justify the extra $$ despite how great they are. Don't know if those things hold boost to redline either...

And Gary, i got my car/highflow done on E85, here were the results...

e85_1.jpg

same boost curve, won't hold to redline unfortunately

e85_2.jpg

I have just been loving the car all over again. Very street friendly, plenty of torque (562nm peak) and with the combo of the SK Group Buy suspension kit, it really feels like a "package" now. Hard to explain, but the car feels more content with the new power/torque in combo with the suspension. TCS off and it won't wheel spin either (unless a greasy road). It seems that 280-290rwkw is the sweet spot, well from the power stages i've gone through with my car anyway.

Only thing i would do now is try and get the boost curve looking a little nicer and that means larger rear housing (already OP6) so if you do play with modifying an OP6 Adrian, i would be very keen to know how it all goes :ermm:

Gary, what do the GCG boost curves look like?

(Car ran a 288rwkw at Status the other day, went back in for a little check-up. Count 'em... 3 extra rear wheel killer wasps :down:)

I have to find a little more out about the extrude hone process and if it's likely to damage the gates hole or the flap and hinge pin assembly .

It may be easier to clean up the volute passage by more conventional methods - just depends how far it's possible to get at everything inside a bare OP6 housing .

I also want to explore slightly larger waste gate flat valves , it's probably going to mean using a physically larger actuator assembly so that the spring and diaphragm work accurately and don't get overwhelmed by the greater valve pressure area .

All compromises but hey necessity is the mother of invention and I like a challenge .

I will speak to Brett about alternative turbines and maybe compressors but that's difficult because he understandably doesn't want to give too much away and I can't blame him . Developing these things costs money and time .

Cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

If you're looking to ream out the turbine, it's effectively increasing the cross sectional area - ie. a bigger A/R.

Isn't the AVO style housing advertised at ~ 0.7A/R, while the OP6 is supposedly ~ 0.6?

Worth considering if having a bolt-on is a must.

If you're looking to ream out the turbine, it's effectively increasing the cross sectional area - ie. a bigger A/R.

Isn't the AVO style housing advertised at ~ 0.7A/R, while the OP6 is supposedly ~ 0.6?

Worth considering if having a bolt-on is a must.

Yes, bingo

My AVO rear housing is .73, with garrett GT3076 BB internal and front ported/flowed stock comp housing, should be good for 285kw (manual)

http://www.avoturboworld.com/pdf/gts_exhaust_housing.pdf

That did occur to me but I remember seeing one (or one like it as a few mobs inc GCG sell that kind of thing) a few years back and for some reason wasn't overly impressed .

I think the passage inside the thing looked strange through the waste gates hole for some reason .

I been searching for more pics of those housings but all I've seen is AVO pics .

I should be in GCGs area in the near future so I'll try and compare my VG30 0P6 housing with their alternative one .

Cheers A .

700 bucks for a housing is a bit rich,

GCG wanted 2600 for a full bolt on gt3076 kit, inc lines, spacer and dump

yeah but ATS adelaide turbo services sell the bolt on GT3076 kit with lines and AVO rear housing for $2500

bolt on

big rear .73 housing $700

ported front comp housing to 60-trim $200

garrett bb gt3076 chra $1300

oil lines and water lines, etc $300

awesomeness Guaranteed

* tangles seal of approval.

250rwkw @1.2bar maxxing stock injectors (got 480's to drop in soon)

yeah when i spoke to GCG i asked whether they used the machined RB/VG housing or a garrett one and they said they wernt doing the RB/VG housing anymore because of boost creep issues etc and that they now use the genuine garrett I/W housings

That did occur to me but I remember seeing one (or one like it as a few mobs inc GCG sell that kind of thing) a few years back and for some reason wasn't overly impressed .

I think the passage inside the thing looked strange through the waste gates hole for some reason .

I been searching for more pics of those housings but all I've seen is AVO pics .

I should be in GCGs area in the near future so I'll try and compare my VG30 0P6 housing with their alternative one .

If they stock an AVO type housing, be sure to take a couple of side-by-side pics with the OP6 just to show what differences exist (if any).

Tangles did you get the cartridge number off that turbo ?

I can see that they've made a new snout tube for the comp cover - it's longer than std and that would be an easy way to get around the shorter Garrett BB cartridge between the Hitachi style housings .

I stuffed up slightly at GCG today and forgot to ask about comparing the replacement housing with my VG30's 0P6 one .

They're just removing mines T housing so I can get a better idea of if there's any point in trying to improve it .

In my dark bastard hybrid days many years ago I had a loose 0P6 housing and it did look like it had a fair bit wider volute passage than the 20's and 25's .

I really need to see the aftermarket one to see if it's larger internally again because if it is and the internals are well formed then it may have its uses . One area that it looks better in the pics is where the waste gates valve seats , possibly a bit more scope to use an appropriate sized valve for the Hi Flows increased exhaust gas throughput .

I don't suppose anyone's used the AVO T housing with a 2835/cropped GT3071R type cartridge ?

Cheers A .

• 1 month later...

You can see my boost chart for a stock R33 turbo highflowed by GCG here: http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/St...html&st=320 (post 333)

You will see boost build is much quicker - 10psi by 2750 and 16 psi by 3,500. Some of this could be due to the ball bearings of the GCG and some due to my Jaycar IEBC (which was roughly set by my tuner who hadn't seen one before - I can get a dead straight line at 16 or 17 psi).

not sure if it's much interest to you, but here's my boost curve for my OP6 high flow - keen to seen what a GCG one would look like... (this is a hypergear)

IMG_0309-1.jpg

i fixed this howling/leaking noise i had around the FMIC, but unfortunately it didn't change the boost curve :) But she sounds great now and there's plenty of mumbo on tap.

and this is the pump fuel graph

IMG_0311-1.jpg

the 2 lines are pre and post Z32 afm

thinking of maybe going a bigger rear housing to get a flat boost curve, and then get an adjustable exhaust side cam gear to make up for the loss of response. But unless they cancel each other out, i probably won't change.

Well the R34 turbine housings are bigger so naturally they would be touch bit laggier. below is your dyno sheet, Compare it you can see the OP6 high flow have made more power then yours through all rev ranges.

post-31034-1252715681_thumb.jpg

Edited by kwickr33