SAU Community

Advanced Driving Course Trackday

heslo

I've been in touch with Kim from SASupra the last couple of weeks and he's organising another annual John Bowe Driver Training day for his club. I had the luck of attending one of these two years back now and had a great time not only learning about my car, its limits (and mine) but actually getting some track time underneath my belt. What Kim's proposed as he has spots to fill is a joint SAU/SASupra Advanced Driver training day. There's 10 spots to fill on our side and around 24 people all up. Below is a cut/paste job from the SASupra forums with relevant info changed, follow the link for the original post.

Basically, is anyone here interested? I'll be doing it for sure and hopefully more SAU boys and gals could show up too :ermm:

I have arranged for a Level 2A driver training day with the John Bowe Driving team to be held at Mallala on Tuesday August 25th. this course has never been offered by JB in South Australia, but i have persuaded them to bring the format over here to Mallala for one day this year. we will be tailoring it for SA so it won't be exactly identical to the JB days here: Link

If you haven't been to my annual High Performance trackdays in November, then this Advanced course will be the perfect introduction to them. as of this year, doing a Level 1 defensive driving course or this Level 2A course will be the prerequisite to attend the High Performance trackday in November. those who have already done the HP courses in the past are eligible to participate in the November HP trackday later this year. we're only having two trackdays for the club this year so if you haven't been on the track before, this will be your only chance as you won't be eligible for the November trackday.

it will be less demanding on your car than the traditional High Performance Drive Days that i have organised these last few years in that there will be a lot more theory and practice in this Advanced Course so that the learning curve is less steep for everyone involved, but the second half of the day should be full on like the HP course. that said, even if you have been on the HP course before, you will certainly benefit from this one as they focus more on practicing corner entry, apex and exit - you tend to be let loose in the HP days where they focus more on your driving style / racecraft.

Car Club Driver Training Event ? Introductory Performance Driving

Date: Tuesday 25th August 2009

Time: 8.30am registration, 9.00am start ? 4.00pm finish.

Venue: Mallala Raceway , S.A.

Overview:

The Introductory Performance Driving course is designed specifically for club level enthusiasts who want to get on track with their car but also want to do it safely. The program provides professional tuition throughout the day including a number of individual activities to give you the chance to improve your skills and awareness when driving on the circuit. This day also includes circuit driving although for safety & training purposes we do restrict the speeds in certain areas. John Bowe Driving guarantee that you will not only enjoy your car on the track but you will learn a huge amount about yourself and your cars ability.

Cost: $385 per driver (this rate has been discounted for car club members)

Items Included: Venue Hire, Public Liability Insurance, Instructors, Course Content, Lunch & Refreshments, Ambulance Attendance, Course Certificate.

Cost for the day will be $385 per driver (confirmed). we require a deposit of $150 to secure your place - due by June 25 and balance of payment by July 25. if you have paid but can't make it for whatever reason, then you will have to find a replacement or lose your money. sorry this has been done before so the policy will not be changed.

- $150 deposit is due by June 25

- $235 balance of payment is due by July 25

- the track day is on a Tuesday so you had better organise your holidays/leave/sick day now!

Summary:

------

* 10 places available for SAU members

* cost = $385 for whole day (0830-1630) of instructor led training

* deposit = $150 to me (heslo)

* theory session, track walk through, practice laps, then training

* includes morning tea + catered lunch

* lots of bottled water / softdrinks to rehydrate also provided throughout day

* instructor led (ratio 1:10 instructor:drivers)

* relatively safe unless you're really stupid

* but no insurance cover for damaging your car (you participate at your own risk)

* there will be an ambulance crew there (just in case)

* helmets are not mandatory but recommended. you are welcome to bring your own for safety

* metal valve caps for tire valves are required

* fire extinguisher fitment is optional

* no drifting

* no spectators

* no passengers other than the instructors

* a CAMS licence is NOT required.

* this is a supervised circuit day with strict and specific rules.

* it is not a race session, nor is it a drift day.

* overtaking on corners or under brakes is not allowed.

* definitely no contact with another car's bodywork!

* everyone has the opportunity to go at their own pace

places are limited. only 12 are available at this point. the sweetener is that i am hoping to bring up a Lambo Gallardo to be out there on the day :)

register your interest here:

1. Heslo - deposit received

2. nightcrawler - deposit received

3. writeoff - deposit received

4. scandyflick - deposit received

5. Joshdc - deposit received

6. Moodles2 - deposit received

7. Luke ENR34 - deposit received

8. Hostile - deposit received

9. Ripp3r - deposit received

10. typevu - deposit received

11. Krishy - deposit received

12. Red Back - deposit received

13. 32godzilla - deposit received

14. Inline_6 - deposit received

15. Chalon - deposit received

16. Bengi - deposit pending

Car_Club_Intro_MALLALA.pdf

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for posting this up Luke!

we hope that this will be a good introduction to trackdays for many people and will fill the gap between the newbie defensive driving courses (eg. Drive to Survive / Drive to Live) and the more demanding instructor led trackdays like the High Performance trackday you went on. this Advanced course will then allow people to satisfy the entry requirements for the regular High Performance courses that John Bowe Driving run at Mallala several times every year.

places are limited, so put your name on the list to secure your spot. Heslo and i will PM those on the list the details for payment of the $150 deposit which is due by June 25th.

Of course David, there's no reason you can't bring another car as a back up, no matter what car you bring I'm sure you'll learn something from the day that you can take away with you

quite keen but low on the green stuff atm :P

what sort of stuff is the training on? need a bit more detail if possible?

i have heard of other courses refusing to have an instructor with you unless you have a roll cage, is this the case with this one as well?

this course isn't for the hardcore track junkies out there so a roll cage is definitely not a requirement, nor is a helmet in this instance. it is meant to bridge the gap between a basic defensive driving course (like the ones held regularly at AIR where u do emergency dry/wet braking etc) and the private trackdays where u are pretty much let loose on the track with minimal instruction. there will be more emphasis on corner entry-exit technique, car control, and motorkhana stuff. it will be particularly useful for those drivers who really haven't been out on the racetrack before and don't want to be overrun by the time attack monsters.

Hmm, I should put my name down for this. Its been years since I've done a course of this nature in a car. I've done sooooo many on bikes. Guess I should brush up my skills on 4 wheels. Don't worry Kim, I'm only hardcore when I'm on 2 wheels :D

I'm going to say 'yes' put me down ... and in the meantime I'm just going to check I'm not working that weekend at Phillip Island ... it sounds awful close. :P

Do we give you cash in person Luke, or is there bank details?

Edited by RubyRS4

Luke and i will send out the bank details when the list fills up.

1. Heslo

2. nightcrawler

3. writeoff

4. scandyflick

?. SkyHi 33

6. RubyRS4

7. Luke ENR34

8. Hostile

Hell yeah I am keen as... just got to confirm work will give me the time off!

Yeah, me too ... I better ask the manager. Oh, that would be me! Guess I have the time off then :P

I'm down! Lucky last. lol

1. Heslo

2. nightcrawler

3. writeoff

4. scandyflick

?. SkyHi 33

6. RubyRS4

7. Luke ENR34

8. Hostile

9. Ripp3r

10. typevu