SAU Community

My R34 Gtr Front End Stagea Build Thread

darrinspencer

I have finally put the house reno's in second place and decided to finish the Stagea. I imported the my silver C34 series 2 auto from Japan just over 2 1/2 years ago and since then it has only travelled approx 2000k's. Once I had the car compliance and registered, I drove it for only one day and that night I pulled it apart to start the front end conversion. At the time I was not ready to start the front end conversion, but I had a buyer in urgent need for my old front end to repair his car (alexcim).

At the time of starting the front end conversion, it had only been done once before in Oz. The first person who was an importer in Brisbane was a total arse and did no want to help me at all, even thuo he had moulds for the Masa Motorsports conversion front guards. Instead, he want to sell me a set of miss matched body kit moulds for $6500 so I could make my own. I told him thanks for nothing.

I ended up ordering a set of genuine Masa Motorsports front guards and had them shipped over. In the mean time, I sourced a genuine r34 GTR bonnet, complete front bar and head lights along with radiator support, reo, hinges and bonnet catch which completed the full kit.

I wanted the front end conversion to look as factory as possible so when the bonnet was open it would be hard to tell it was not meant to be.

To achieve this the stagea radiator support is the wrong shape to suit the r34 swept back head lights. so I removed the stagea radiator support and made the R34 support fit. To do this, the inner guards/skirt behind the headlights had to be shortened approx 15-20mm. Once evry thing lined up it was welded into place and I gave the engine bay a quick respray. The was car then reasembled and driven with the front end not painted for a few hundred cars before the next round of mods began.

The next mods to be fitted was a full exhaust, a set of Teins, R34 GTT front and rear brakes, FMIC, MOMO s/wheel, Ganador mirrors, R34 GTR wheels, Garage Impul front seats. manual gearbox conversion, apexi turbo, power Fc, a set of poncams, z32, injectors and a tune.

So after approx 18 months of owning the stagea on the road and only driven approx 1500ks with all the mods to date mods done and still not painted I decided to sell off the what parts I could and get ready to paint the car the factory silver and sell it.

A fair few of the parts sold quickly and with the engine back to near stock, still has the apexi turbo on it and exhaust, I sat for another 6 months.

Which now brings us to today.

I have decided to rebuild the car the way it was supposed to be and keep it. I have started a new shopping list. Last few weeks I have got a new rear bar and side skirts as my original Dolphin kit did really suit the R34 front, so I have decided to fit a copy Masa motorport rear bar and skirts. Another set of ganador mirrors and 480cc nismo injectors, momo steering wheel. Currently looking at a new bigger turbo, probably a full garrett Gt3076R IW 525hp should see around 280-300rwkw. I need to replaced to factory ecu, this time not wasting money on a full replacement, going to get a Nistune board upgrade. Have plans for a new interior. A few idea's but will keep it under wraps for now.

So instead of just repainting the front end, I have decided to repaint the whole car. Have not decided on a new colour yet, any suggestions would help. The last 4 weeks I have started to strip the car and fit the new body kit. All I can say chinese copy body kits are absolute crap! Check out the pics of the rear bar. I have put over 20 hours in making it fit by cutting it into 3 bits as it was too short. To get it sit right without any stress, it had to be lengthened approx 20-30mm in places.

The side skirts were also cut and lengthened approx 7-8mm.

With a few late nights keeping the neigbours awake with the sound of a sander, I buzzed the shell down ready for undercoat. Today the undercost went on.

The next step is rust repairs to the front doors, get a couple of old rear spoiler holes to the rear hatch weled up as the car has a autech rear wing which uses different mounting points.

If everything goes to plan it should all be ready for colour in 3-4 weeks. The outside will be done professional in a booth for a perfect job.

Attached are some pic's of the car as it started and its progress along the way.

Hope you enjoy and a I will update pic's as soon as there is more progress.

The car needs to be completely finished for Aug 29-30 Qld Jamboree 09. I won best coupe there in 1994 with my Ta22 celica (it had 106rwhp!!) and hopefully the stagea will go well for best wagon this year.

post-14923-1243252891_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243252971_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243252997_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253032_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253086_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253160_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253187_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253213_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253246_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253289_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253312_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253332_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243253356_thumb.jpg

you'll get there mate

and yes +1 for a bbiw garrett BT3076

amazing turbo, my car is simply insane to drive

dont give up, dont sell, do the mods right and have the perfect keeper.

fact is, once your finished, it'll have eaten up a lot of dosh. so just enjoy it :D

mines at over 46k now incl all costs bar fuel, and without looking like your R34 front end, theres nothing to "show" for it

but thats ok :dry:

It will be finished this time.

I am tring to track down the "real" garrett gt3076R .82 IW without paying someones over inflated prices. I prefer not to go the smaller custom nissan rear housings

I am really stuck on what colour to paint it. I need to decide by next week. I am keen on Ford FG breeze. Just can not convince the missus, not that I normally listen to her. I was suppose to stop building cars or else, but have done 3 since that comment was made :dry:

Was thinking bayside blue at first, but keen to pick something different.

Suggestions??????

if i resprayed mine it would be bayside blue or black

good decision to keep it- i have done the same. I'm on the lookout for some r34 gtr rims and some decent suspension + brakes

we'll have to meet up once yours is all done :D

got a couple of colours for u darrin

Funny, I had all of those pics already

Here is some more in bayside blue

Hey Myles, how did Blitz go with the roof rails?

Mine are faded and will be hard to make them look new again as they plastic/rubber coated, plus they weigh heaps. I reckon they would be close to 20kgs for the pair.

No wonder stagea's weigh so much

post-14923-1243335910_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243335936_thumb.jpg

That last bayside blue one you posted with the CE28n's :)

I think i wud struggle for a colour choice to, being such a big sided car. I think in red with the R34 GTR rims would look nice, also maybe a nice bright metalic silver.

It was time to attack the rust in the 2 front doors. I had a panel beater mate do the cutting and weleding and I did the the filling

Both these doors were showing no signs of rust when the mirrors were fitted. Just shows how it can get away. I suggest people remove their mirrors and have a close look

All 4 door and hatch now ready for undercoat, just need the weather to fine up to spray them.

I think I have picked a colour as well.

post-14923-1243851888_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243851913_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243851935_thumb.jpg

post-14923-1243851960_thumb.jpg

Here is some more in bayside blue

Thanks for posting these - hadn't seen them before.... hot hot hot!! Would so love to do the conversion (I love 34 GTR's!!) but just too much $$$$$ for me at the moment. Looking forward to seeing the finished product Darrin.

bayside_blue_stagea_r34gtr_frontend.jpg

bayside_blue_stagea_r34gtr_frontend_2.jpg

Good to see you've got this project back on the run, Darrin.

One question about your choice of colour: do you want something that will stand out (like the Bayside Blue), or are you looking for a mellower, stealthy look (or as stealthy as an R34-style front will let you get)?

Oh, and have you got the two Hyper-Rev magazines for the Stagea? Might be worth having a squizz through them to get some ideas.

Good to see you've got this project back on the run, Darrin.

One question about your choice of colour: do you want something that will stand out (like the Bayside Blue), or are you looking for a mellower, stealthy look (or as stealthy as an R34-style front will let you get)?

Oh, and have you got the two Hyper-Rev magazines for the Stagea? Might be worth having a squizz through them to get some ideas.

I want it to stand out but at the same time I do not want it to look like a autosalon style show car. It will be daily driven.

I did have those mags but I sold them

I do like the the Ford breeze colour on the new Fg falcon.

It will go well with the R34 wheels and the planned carbon parts.

My car will look exactly the same as the bayside blue one above with 34 wheels, vspec lip, ganador mirrors and Masa side skirts as I have the same parts.

post-14923-1243890253_thumb.jpg

I have pics of that at home (at work now) its a green colour in the day. Nothing like the breeze colour.

Thanks for pic

That colour is similar, gives the general idea, but is no where as nice as breeze.

Just had a delivery to my desk. I stole this pic from another member for reference

Hopefully it will get the stagea's heavy arse moving a bit better than the current Apexi turbo on it.

Gt3076R 525hp

post-14923-1244071220.jpg