SAU Community

M35: Emanage Ultimate

zei20l

Found this piggyback / interceptor http://www.perfectpo...id=55&Itemid=59 which says it can adjust traction control (looks similar to our issue). I emailed the head office in Sth Africa last Friday with all the info I gathered plus manuals/diagrams etc. Haven't had a reply as yet.

I thought it looked like it could work. Was hoping they'd reply offering to send me one to test with a money back guarantee if it didn't work for us. But the slackers haven't responded at all.

I'm going to call round the Aust distributors to see if they can find out for us.

I'm still wanting to tinker with my setup some more, but a professional setup that works out of the box would be heaps better for everyone.

OK, no luck with any of the Australian distributors. They were either out of business, not answering, wrong numbers, not in or not returning calls.:down:

So I called South Africa and spoke with the guy who was half way through replying to my email.

His concern was that the STM8-L unit (link again is here) wouldn't be able to differentiate between 1st gear or any other gear, & therefore any change to the throttle mapping would have to be across every gear.

What I understand that to mean is that if it was to increase the range from (say) 20% to 50% to be 10% higher (20% = 30%, 30% = 40% etc), then it would be like that all the time. A bit like the throttle controllers that sit between the pedal and the ECU & modify the map, except this would go between the ECU & throttle controller. Of course the lead in would have to be ramped slowly so that you didn't go from 20 to 30% in one hit :O and likewise on the way out.

BUT, he can't guarantee the results. He said it wasn't a lot of money (he will email me a price including shipping etc) & that maybe we should just give it a go.....

I may be willing to try it out after I've proved the concept works a little more reliably with my backyard mod, unless mine works so good I don't need anything else :yes: .

In the meantime, anyone want to take one for the team?

Sorry for my ignorance guys. Im not fully up to speed with the M3 Stagea, I am still looking at the auctions in Japan to bring one over asap.

Can someone please explain what the throttle restriction is and how it works?

Thanks guys

Paul

Its like traction control, but all the time. In first gear, under 30kph it limits the throttle to 36% which is fine with the stock turbo, although you wont ever be spinning tyres at launch. It becomes an issue when you highflow the turbo as they require more airflow to spool.

Ok I've decided i'm gong to throw a bunch of spanners in everyones throttle restriction work.

after Iain and Craigs "awesome" Nismo ecu rants i decided to check my informeter to see what its exactly doing.

I have the Standard issue ECU for an ARX Four and an eManage.

Stall it up(foot on brake and accel)=34% once i release the brake, straight to 84%

Stand Still, then accelerate to floor = 84%

that 84% holds right through the rev range.

Nismo ecu isnt that great lol..

what im thinking now is either the Brake pedal is ending a signal to ECU telling not to open throttle body more than 36% if being pressed(highly unlikely)

or that its actually the transmission talking to the ECU.

Me an Scotty will be doing some testing tomorrow with both of our cars to see what may be happening, and will keep you posted..

but any ideas?

i rekon the informeter is showing the throttle input from the pedal and not the actual throttle position. ive been saying it for ages, but no one believed me :P

anyway, there IS a difference with throttle response with the nismo. maybe we need to measure whats going on with the throttle itself

i rekon the informeter is showing the throttle input from the pedal and not the actual throttle position. ive been saying it for ages, but no one believed me :P

anyway, there IS a difference with throttle response with the nismo. maybe we need to measure whats going on with the throttle itself

if its doing if from the peddle then when you stall it up and floor it, it should also say 84% not 34%

hmm i might try that tomorrow then.

there is ignition timing and additional boost on the nismo - actually not sure about the boost increase.

if its doing if from the peddle then when you stall it up and floor it, it should also say 84% not 34%

Your findings are really interesting. When I was modifying the signal to the ECU a few weeks back I was concentrating on trying to get the throttle to open above ~80-85%, not changing the so called 30% limitation down low. I haven't had a chance to check that out yet, but whenever I changed the signal sent from the throttle to the ECU, the indication on my informeter changed also (in an opposite direction) so it doesn't get it's reading from from the pedal but from the ECU. That part I'm pretty confident about.

Let us know what you discover, please.:thumbsup:

ok so we know the TB has a pot inside it that dictates its angle.

could THAT signal be modified so the ECU thinks its not as open as it thinks it is? or is this the one you were mucking around with Leon?

ok so we know the TB has a pot inside it that dictates its angle.

could THAT signal be modified so the ECU thinks its not as open as it thinks it is? or is this the one you were mucking around with Leon?

Yep, that's the one. There's actually 2 signals (2 pots) that the ECU uses to determine opening angle. 1 pot has rising voltage with more angle & the other a falling voltage with more opening angle. Complicated son of a.

I'm going to have another go at it this week. Been recalibrating modules & trying to get time to install the wideband O2 sensor so I have more an idea what's happening as I make the changes. I think I know why I started getting check engine lights last time. My battery was clagged & I set the interceptors to only intercept the sig after the battery voltage went above 13ish volts so at ign on the ecu would see the real TB, not my modules. With buggered battery I think thet were switching in/out all the time & the ECU didn't know what was happening so threw a code.

Getting back to informeter and modifying the signals from these 2 pots, when I made changes to increase opening from 80% to 90%, the informeter would read LESS than 80% (closer to 70% actually) and then the ECU would back off the fuel (cause it thinks I don't have the throttle opened as much as I do) so I would see the injector pulse width drop down (meantime I'm going faster) & of course the knock sensor would put an end to it pinch.gif I'm hoping for better results at the lower end of the spectrum though. There's more fuel at launch and that is where we want the benefit anyway soooo.... we'll wait & see.

Edited by Commsman