SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Just had a big day tuning at status. This is the first run with my new forged engine. Every thing on this engine apart from pistons are stock standard, so any good healthy RB25det will be able to do the same.

Just recap of modifications list:

800cc injectors

Nistune ECU

Z32 AFM

600x300x75mm FMIC

3inch turbo back exhaust

3inch intake pipe with pod.

CP pistons

ATR43G3 / Pu high flow .82

Stock engine head

Stock cams

Stock cam gears

Stock exhaust manifold

Stock inlet manifold

Stock fuel rail

Stock engine block, Con rod & Crank.

This is a controlled run based on BP 98 Fuel, No boost controller, No wastegate controller.

Car made peek of 303rwkws at 20psi with drop to 17psi (can be set with Gate controller). The constant was between 295 to 300rwkws.

atr43g3303rwkw.jpg

atr43g3303rwkwboost.jpg

Video of above run is up for people whom's interested to watch:

^^^

This is seriously good result man. Congratulations to both you and Trent. I've compared it with few GT3076R with .82 rears. The ATR43G3's got similar down low with like 50kw+ more mid rang and 65Mn more torque . Plus those 2x cars had heaps more mods and work done compare to yours. I've overlaid all 3 graphs.

post-31034-1283621759_thumb.jpg

^^^

Thanks for the graph, how ever above results does not represent the actual aspect of any of the cars in it as none of them runs identical modifications or run on the same dyno.

I guess some of your have already seen the result of our PU high flowed R33 turbocharger. I took few photos when its installed, and tuning video is now up:

puinstall1.jpg

puinstall2.jpg

Video of 3 dyno runs:

Final result:

puhf305rwkw.jpg

puhf305rwkwboost.jpg

This is seriously good result man. Congratulations to both you and Trent. I've compared it with few GT3076R with .82 rears. The ATR43G3's got similar down low with like 50kw+ more mid rang and 65Mn more torque . Plus those 2x cars had heaps more mods and work done compare to yours. I've overlaid all 3 graphs.

Umm I'm the owner of one of the cars, my GT3076R setup has LESS mods than he has (completely stock high km RB25, and had iffy coils which you can see evidence of in the midrange), running less boost, and my car has between 5 and 40kw @ wheels more than him up until he reaches his full boost which is over 4psi (21.6psi!!) higher than my PEAK boost in the whole of my run.

The massive torque difference is due to me not going over 17psi - the only reason our power curves are comparable is that despite me running a fair bit less boost my car makes comparable power. If anything I reckon it makes the GT3076R look comparatively really good. If you want to compare my GT3076R with that turbo, overlay the 17/18psi graph that Hypergear posted above as its only peaking at about 1psi more boost than mine was running - instead of 4... still gives him an advantage but it should give much more of a fair impression of an internally gated .82 GT3076R vs a .82 ATR43G3.

I'll be running my car on a dynapack next month now I've got new coils in it, it certainly feels a lot healthier through the midrange.

I have a different view, On the same time mine isn't holding boost either. But I'm not saying No. to the slight boost pike.

2ndly my job is building turbos, I know the type of wheel that you are using. My wheel has larger air gaps in between fins, That 50kws increase "could be" from that while yours is slightly out of puff.

The latest run is a stockie high flow not a ATR43G3. Even so it still made more torque and power, plus I still have the option of using BB cores.

Also my engine's not even run in during that tune. I had compression all over the places with run in oil.

But either way, like I said your sheet is the most impressive I've seen in the stuck of people who's running this turbo with better response and power then lot of people who's got / without more mods then you do.

Also I know people with dynos that reads heaps more then others. So I only use Status and Dr.drift's dyno. They are creditable tuners and their reading is within 2KWs difference. I can guarantee you mine is accurate, wither your dyno is happier I do not know.

So unless your car is on Status dyno there is really isn't much of meaning in this comparison.

And in your list of mods:

1997 R33 GTS25t

Unopened RB25DET, 165,000kms

BP Ultimate 98 Fuel

Nismo 555cc injectors

Walbro 255lb/hr fuel pumpfgvbbbb

GTSLink Plugin ECU

Apexi AVC-R boost controller with Norgren pressure relief valve aiding spool

Cheap random 600x300x76mm front mount intercooler

K&N filter with 4" intake

Garrett GT3076R .82a/r Internally gated turbo

Trust Power Extreme 2 exhaust

Your EBC setup will make noticeable difference in response.

Umm I'm the owner of one of the cars, my GT3076R setup has LESS mods than he has (completely stock high km RB25, and had iffy coils which .......

Mate have a read in the RB25det dyno thread. Compare to people with GT3076 .82s the ATR43 is a clear winner. I only picked your best run because it is the most impressive with 98 fuel. There is a fat difference from 4000 to 7000. How's your tinny bit difference pre 4000 helps when the paddle is to the metal.

No offence just Just my 2Cents

Edited by kwickr33

Stao I guess you don't pay much attention to other people's topics. "Lithium" 's topic in making his turbo spool faster is around for a while. You can find your answer there:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Gt....html&st=60

By the way my R34 high flow works great. I will be tuning it next week and post some results.

ReliefValve.jpg

That is a pretty interesting part. The dyno reading seems to be pretty ordinary with out it. Certainly made a very big difference in response.

post-31034-1284210136_thumb.jpg

Also means without it the Comparison looks like:

post-31034-1284210282_thumb.jpg

Edited by kwickr33

Stao I guess you don't pay much attention to other people's topics. "Lithium" 's topic in making his turbo spool faster is around for a while. You can find your answer there:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Gt....html&st=60

By the way my R34 high flow works great. I will be tuning it next week and post some results.

Thanks for the info. Its a very helpful thread to read. I'm definitely buying one of those things to test it out.

Mate have a read in the RB25det dyno thread. Compare to people with GT3076 .82s the ATR43 is a clear winner. I only picked your best run because it is the most impressive with 98 fuel. There is a fat difference from 4000 to 7000. How's your tinny bit difference pre 4000 helps when the paddle is to the metal.

No offence just Just my 2Cents

You are comparing Dyno Dynamics readings with a Dynapack reading - it can't really be done. The extra bit of spool before 4000rpm is just one of the things the GT30R does better. If I wasn't on stock internals I'd go and retune mine on a Dynapack for 21psi to overlay with the Hypergear turbo.... that'd be quite telling I suspect.

I believe the post he's referring to is your best run with dyno pack dyno. Thats before every one's reading about your tricks in getting better response. I'll certainly be trying that out.

In that run I did not use a EBC or a MBC. My boost isn't holding. It only spiked 21psi for a brief moment. I'll make it hold 21psi with gate controller, hopefully be picking up another 15kws up top.

I've strictly built the test engine in factory specifications. Means any healthy RB25det will have no issues doing the same.

Also Trent's Hub dyno reads within 2KWs difference to any roller dynos I've know. Also I've done 298rwkws with same turbo at Dr drift's roller dyno with a stuffed engine. You can check video footages of that run in page 45.

As far as dyno concern Status dyno does not read any happier then a accurate roller dyno. Every one who've used status can certainly confirm that.

How ever I'm still testing out few other combination improving response and top end, so stay tuned.

Will be good to see how it goes. The Dynapack I used is also not set to be a "happy" dyno - it has broken the odd heart around the place but IMHO I'd say a typical DD reading dyno would still drop both my and your power figure a little unless the Dynapack has been somehow calibrated to reduce its reading.

The problem I have with building boost at 100% until you get near your desired boost pressure (by the way of a boost controller) is traction, it makes it a whole lot harder to get traction on anything but slicks. I suppose maybe 4th gear it would be better.

Edited by Harey

Correct me if I am wrong but is lithiums car not SELF TUNED? Sorry what do you do for a job lithium? And Stao who tuned your car?

Righto.

Now, I spent 6 months straight crunching numbers and reviewing peoples results across a board of forums, and a well tuned RB25 with a 3076 should achieve close to the 200rwkw mark by roughly 4000RPM. I am talking about an internally standard motor, no cams.

From what I can see, your both off by some 80rwkw.

Lithium, I do not mean to take anything from your efforts. Your work continues to impress.

Stao, you are an excellent turbo builder, however this comparison is (for lack of more direct wording) flawed.

Now, I spent 6 months straight crunching numbers and reviewing peoples results across a board of forums, and a well tuned RB25 with a 3076 should achieve close to the 200rwkw mark by roughly 4000RPM. I am talking about an internally standard motor, no cams.

I can't find any that come even close to 200rwkw at 4000rpm... Care to point me in the right direction?!?