SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Is there no way to build a new exhaust housing without having the turbo with you?

Pretty hard to have my car of the road ATM, gearbox in my ute went kaput a month back.

Ok I believe most people have seen of how this interesting turbo performed.

atr43ss2250rwkws.jpg

Youtube video:

I've had some play with the wastegate controller and boost controller. The result is some thing like this:

wastegatecontroller.JPG

So basically the end result is you can use this device to hold boost to certain extend. But can not emulate the full extend of an external wastegate. It is pretty sensitive to adjustment.

Other thing to try is the twin entry actuator:

twinentryactuator.JPG

Apparently you can use inlet manifold pressure force shutting the wastegate and adjust it with 2x boost controllers or supporting EBCs. I will check to see what Garret has in this range and do few more tests later in the week.

got around to installing (or half installing) the turbo ATR43G3 0.63 rear on my R32 RB20det last night!

bolted fine onto the manifold, but the compressor cover was just fouling on the heat shield. was very easy to fix with a few taps of the hammer to bend it back a few mm and now there is just enough clearance. The braided oil line was a very easy install and the water line on the block side of the turbo lined up very well. The oil drain also seems to line up well and shouldn't be a problem to bolt up tonight. The water line on the chassis side seems to be low by about 15mm but is held on by a solid metal bracket which im pretty sure i can bend and line up well.

overall it has been fairly basic to install :D

ps. my JJR dump was hitting on the wastegate controller by a few mm, but used a angle grinder to take a little metal off the flange and it fits fine now

Stao - the 3.5mms...i guess thats millimeters...if so that I still think the comp is out of flow and not the wastegate blowing open.....3.5mm is stuff all and might as well not be open.

No. Wastegate was forced open by pressure. It run off scale fully shut and popped a cooler hose. Not really possible to get bottom and range power in one hit. Should be possible to certain extent with the VIRA turbine housing setup. So work in progress.

3.5mm is from the center of the wastegate flap to the turbine housing.

Stao I have checked my oil return, there was slight kinking but nothing major and i don't think it would have caused any oil flow issues. I have replaced it and there is now no kinking and it has not helped with the extreme lag at all. Still not getting 10psi till after 5000rpm.

I have sprayed carby cleaner on all joints and hoses in the engine bay and there was no change in idle meaning there is probably not any air leaks.

Exhaust is straight through 3" with no mufflers or cat(In the process of buying a metal cat).

Any more ideas?

Haven't seen that before. I have no idea why you are getting the lag. The only thing I can do for you is by swapping with a smaller .63 turbine housing, and We've got the wastegating mechanism to hold steady boost to redline now.

Also updating with the PU .63 high flowed result.

This is running an internal wastegate with updated gate controller. Hold 18psi all the way to red line.

Full boost @ 4100RPM, made 294.8 RWKWs with wheel spin hitting rev limiter at 7200RPM.

The RPM is Derived from Roller speed. The wheel spin makes it looks short, and had some affect on the upper power curve. I'm trying to organize another run with a hub dyno, which should give me abit more accurate data up top.

atr43G363295rwkw.jpg

Haven't seen that before. I have no idea why you are getting the lag. The only thing I can do for you is by swapping with a smaller .63 turbine housing, and We've got the wastegating mechanism to hold steady boost to redline now.

And for this i have to send the turbo back to you. I guess i will have to deal with the lag until july when im on holidays and can live with out my car for a week

Sorry I won't be able to profile it to exact unless I have the original CHRA. But I haven't seen any one else with this type of lag issue running .82 turbines. The only way I can reduce that is by install a small housing.

You can send it in when you are ready.

Thanks, In the mean time I will continue to look for other problems with my car as you said it shouldn't be this laggy.

Edited by Crans

• 3 weeks later...

Few local tuners advised smaller CHRAs in larger housings enables them with better efficiency while maintain similar response.

For a weekend project, I've decided to modify and install one of my current ATR43G3s to run on .70 comp and .82 turbine. I've taken some photos for people who's interested to see how things were done.

First stage is casting. This is the stage of a comp / turbine housing when it was first delivered to our factory.

casting1.jpg

casting2.jpg

Surface profile to suit back plate and comp wheel:

machined1.jpg

machined2.jpg

Test fit:

trailfit.jpg

Clean up:

machining.jpg

Drill pressure plate pattern:

whole.jpg

Fitted to turbo:

atr437082.jpg

Big thanks to a member who came and gave me a hand on installation.

gatr43.jpg

It was difficult to fit using stock manifold due to limited engine bay room, and the first problem was the actuator bracket not been able to fit into the engine bay.

atr43g3oncar1.jpg

After making custom actuator bracket we've managed to fit the turbo in, a 12mm spacer was required to space out the comp housing from exhaust manifold. There are 2x brackets holding factory water lines, they must be released before bending them to reach the CHRA (mainly due to the spacer)

atr43g3oncar2.jpg

Dump pipe was easy.

atr43g3oncar3.jpg

Braided oil feeding line goes to engine block:

atr43g3oncar5.jpg

Looking all good:

atr43g3oncar7.jpg

For cooler piping plumbing, I've used a 2.5inch 90 degrees bend and a 3inch long 2.5 metal pipe. The Power steering fluid bottle had to be re-located:

atr43g3oncar6.jpg

Pod filter goes on:

atr43g3oncar4.jpg

and job is done.

After going for a quick spin, I've noticed the turbo made louder suction noise (lol). and power delivery was lot more smoother compare to smaller .60 / .63 housings. Full boost of 24psi is at about 4200RPMs, very noticeable amount of pull sensation after 4500RPMs. Will get it tuned shortly with results, If better then standard I will update this combination into the current G3 profiles. I’m expecting around 310rwkws.