SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Trap speeds arent too far off Martin. Were you getting wheelspin in 1st?

I am interested to find out what would happen if we both took our cars to a roller dyno somewhere, along with a volunteer who can bring his/her 300rwkw car..

What is boost recovery like in gear shifts? Does your car have a screamer pipe? Hard to tell from the clip

It takes a little over a second until its back on song for mine.

Yeh wheel spin in 1st when I launched, otherwise I was bogging down.

Let me know when you're thinking of going down again, would be good to compare on the night. Trev, you get up here too! :P

Nice work on the run hanaldo. Sounds exactly like mine and landscribble's. Same sort of runs, and trap speeds. Mine was doing the same thing, either bogging or wheelspinning, so I definitely need a lot more practice at taking off, it's quite the balancing act. :)

What Lithium said is interesting, because my friend with a standard turbo r34 always goes on about how laggy it is between gears boost wise. I'll try find a video of my run and then post it up.

Also, geez you're revving that rb25 high! :P

Also for people whom's interested in to twin pulse turbine housings. I'm in the process of making one that has a working VNT valve. It is made to work with a single or twin pulse manifold. Designed to switch a .41 A/R turbine housing into .82 after boost pressure rise beyond 12psi, it should dynamically advance down low torque and power while not hurting mid and top end.

will post up photos once its complete.

I'd be super keen to test one... ss1 or ss1pu external gate for a split pulse manifold.

Cheers

Justin

Well it tended to be like that in 1st with the pro-tree, I wasn't getting off the line very well and bogged down a fair bit in 1st. 2nd is hard to tell cos the V8 next to me starts to make a bit of noise. From memory it was straight onto full boost in every other gear though... I'll have to take it for a drive and pay attention to the boost recovery.

What would that indicate though? At the moment I'm aware I have either a restriction or possibly a cam timing issue.

Could be turbo design, boost leak, some kind of restriction - is it ball bearing? What was the temperature like on the day by the way? Also, what kind of dyno was it tuned on? One of the reasons I said anything is mine was trapping higher and running quicker times (14.0 @ 110mph even with a TOTAL bogged launch - ~3s 60ft, then missed second gear completely etc when a mate who has a stock turbo R33 had a go) with ~260-270kw @ hubs on 15psi and going by most people here's comments etc that power should be about equivalent to 240kw "Oz dyno" type numbers.

Regardless, I remember when I was running 108-109mph in my car - doesn't make for a slow car by any means, no doubt well worth being happy with but in one way or another it potentially could be a bit quicker with that power.

It will be interesting to see what my car traps.. If it exceeds 110mph or not.

When planning the build I'd always hoped it would get close to 120mph, but these G3 results have got me guessing now..

Time will tell.

When planning the build I'd always hoped it would get close to 120mph, but these G3 results have got me guessing now..

Time will tell.

Your car should pull at least 118mph trap speeds at 235kwatw on unigroups dyno

As my car when it had 231rwkw pulled 118mph and my brothers car with 225rwkw pulled 116mph both tuned by Unigroup very conservative dyno

Once you get it retuned on a cooler day and put abit more boost in should pull over 120mph

When your heading out to wsid let me know keen to try my car out aswell

Time will tell.

I am guessing 115-118mph...

Thanks man!

I'll let you know for sure. The gearbox input shaft seal shat itself on the dyno, so I'll need to fix that before I hit the drags otherwise I might just ruin the clutch. Wont be too long.

I hope so Lith :) would be nice to get a respectable result from it.

Congrats on being able to sell an R33 Troy. Not many people can accomplish that.. lol

My only experience with Drag racing was with an S14.

175rwkw (unigroup dyno)

stock turbo with bolt on mods and boost.

Stock Clutch.

17 inch wheels with 255s on the back and let the air down to 22psi

best it ran was a 13.8 @ 107mph with a 1.8 60'

I'd say you'll crack 13s with practice.

Thought about launching in 2nd gear?

Altering comp wheel size little over or under makes no differences, it doesn't mean it has to be a 73mm, I haven't never seen their turbos before, so blade profile will be totally different. Any results from that on a Rb25det?

RB25s arent for me!

But like all billet wheels the shank is way smaller so combined with the 5mm bigger compressor and blade design it flows way more. They make 320-340awkws on EVOs in the US on pump fuel with about the same if not better response than 20G.

They do a bigger compressor bersion around 76mm but they dont use the L2 turbone for that...they go the TD06H

Roy im fairly sure the FP red's 65mm turbine isnt a trimmed TD06H, im fairly sure its a modified Sierra wheel.

I doubt they are going to give away the info either way..

Is your 73HTA running yet?

FP stuff has hardly ever been used on RBs, there Bri73y on here is putting a 76mm FP HTA turbo on his RB25 and aims to have that tuned in a few weeks time. FP rate their 73mm HTA compressor wheel to 54lb/min and don't tend to be over optimistic with their flow ratings.

Here is an example of their 73mm wheel on a GT30 http://www.ringer-racing.com/product.sc?productId=412

They do a range ot Evo based turbos, STI based turbos, Garret based turbos and Hi-Flow turbos....their range of 55, 65, 68, 71, 73, 76, 82, 86, 105mm wheels..I cant imagine to know the combos of turbiones and compressorss they offer and have tried and wont offer.

The R32 is right behind the Cossie rebuild whcih shoudl be getting puched out this weekend and in for tune/run in next week. The R32 is right behind it for a tune

Usually it's when you miss the selection - so often miss-timing the clutch movement, or not fully putting it through the gate and ending up in neutral. Sometimes dodgy sychros, too excited or slight retardation

RB25s arent for me!

But like all billet wheels the shank is way smaller so combined with the 5mm bigger compressor and blade design it flows way more. They make 320-340awkws on EVOs in the US on pump fuel with about the same if not better response than 20G.

They do a bigger compressor bersion around 76mm but they dont use the L2 turbone for that...they go the TD06H

That is a cropped version of the TD06 turbine, that would shift power band to mid high range. It increases the total dispatching area of a turbine wheel. I used to crop the Sierra S3 turbine wheels for high flow before the current, on stock R33 21U turbine, at 16 degrees that reached 275rwkws while 250rwkws on 12 degrees. noticeable difference in drivability from Std to 10, 12 and 16 degrees crop, the higher the worse.

Shank (hub) sizing increases total induction area, also generates that nothing then hard lunch effect, might be good for drag cars, how ever on road I'll reduce that to minimum. I'm making 2x new wheels for the SL2 turbine, one is a altered SS2 wheel with tall blade profile, while the other one comes from the 3rd trail SS3.

Above is only based on stock camed Rb25det engines, larger / different engines might act differently.

The new SS2 comp should pickup another 20kws without altering current response, while the SS3 comp would be plenty for stock Rb25det's cams, while shifting mid range towards the left by around 200RPMs.