SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

So, went and had a bit of fun last night. First time down the quarter, shit is hard :glare: Got 5 runs in and got better each time, first run was a 16.55 missing 2nd and 3rd :P PB was 14.1 @108.5mph on my last run. I think I could have got into the 13's if I could have had a few more runs, and possibly matched Luke's 109. I need a lot more practise though, and shift lights now make sense to me. Was hitting limiter in almost every gear :/

Was that with 360whp? Those trap speeds are way lower than I would have expected!

Was that with 360whp? Those trap speeds are way lower than I would have expected!

Yeh round about. I do think I could have picked up a bit of speed, my first run was 104mph and improved with each run. I'll get onto a weighbridge sometime and see how close my dyno reading is to my trap times.

I'm thinking going big in turbine and going smaller in comp. Need a large turbine to make power using stock manifold and internal gate, Then reduce comp dia to compensate for response.

Yeh round about. I do think I could have picked up a bit of speed, my first run was 104mph and improved with each run. I'll get onto a weighbridge sometime and see how close my dyno reading is to my trap times.

R33/R34's with stock turbos and high 200rwhp trap at around those speeds. I would have expected more around the 115mph with that power

Well I'm no drag racer by any means, last night was my first attempt. I had hoped to be closer to 112, but I've got no idea what I was doing right/wrong so I was just trying different things and was getting faster with each run. Aside from me being a terrible driver, what else does it come down to? The car being off wouldn't surprise me, it's the laziest RB in existence. But I've been on the dyno at Allstar, Hyperdrive, Autoworx and Garage 101 and they all give me a big number, so are they all off?

What is boost recovery like in gear shifts? Does your car have a screamer pipe? Hard to tell from the clip

Yeh gate is currently venting to atmo.

Boost recovery seems ok, though last night was the first time I've driven the car since it was tuned in September (aside from Powercruise which was the day after it was tuned).

Yeh gate is currently venting to atmo

Thought it sounded like that, seemed to take quite a while to come on in first and a it didn't sound like it came to life in a huge rush in second either... Obviously hard to tell watching the clip but it got my attention. If you spend a reasonable amount of time building boost when raving then you don't get the full power curve the dyno suggests that you have at your disposal.... Which can definitely affect real world performance, ie lower trap speeds than expected for a power level.

Thought it sounded like that, seemed to take quite a while to come on in first and a it didn't sound like it came to life in a huge rush in second either... Obviously hard to tell watching the clip but it got my attention. If you spend a reasonable amount of time building boost when raving then you don't get the full power curve the dyno suggests that you have at your disposal.... Which can definitely affect real world performance, ie lower trap speeds than expected for a power level.

Well it tended to be like that in 1st with the pro-tree, I wasn't getting off the line very well and bogged down a fair bit in 1st. 2nd is hard to tell cos the V8 next to me starts to make a bit of noise. From memory it was straight onto full boost in every other gear though... I'll have to take it for a drive and pay attention to the boost recovery.

What would that indicate though? At the moment I'm aware I have either a restriction or possibly a cam timing issue.

Edited by Hanaldo

Well my car on 250rwkw pulls 121mph trap sipped while it's a 180sx it's shouldnt be much different maybe 2 or 3 mph your cars definately not making 360rwhp not now anyway

Even if you bog down at the start it won't affect your end mph trap speed much if anything might be alil higher the faster you take off or better 60ft you get the lower your trap speed will be

Me bogging down at the start with 2.3 60ft still got a 12.5@121mph with 250rwkw so either Unigroup has a low reading dyno or your car is low on power

Yeh I know the start wouldn't affect the trap time much, I was just discussing the boost response. My problem further up the track was shifting at the right time. I can't remember how I did on that run, but I may have hit limiter in 3rd which I did pretty frequently. Though I guess that still wouldn't account for ~10mph slower.

Love my car :D

Just shift earlier...higher gear means higher mph ...shift where power drops off on the dyno..or if power isn't dropping off to after 7k raise your limiter and shift at 7k..in my car power dies around 6500 so that's when I aim to shift...

Good on you for getting it out there. :thumbsup:

??? some one already done a 73MM? The blade profile will be totally different either way, but thats ok, I can make the exducer into what ever dia to archive the same goal. Sierra wheels are bit old school, they were retired from our turbos since 09.

Using Brae high mount now. Ebay manifold is off the car.

LOL, I have a 73HTA TD06L2 :whistling:

Just shift earlier...higher gear means higher mph ...shift where power drops off on the dyno..or if power isn't dropping off to after 7k raise your limiter and shift at 7k..in my car power dies around 6500 so that's when I aim to shift...

Good on you for getting it out there. :thumbsup:

My limiter is set to 8000 and I was trying to shift by 7500... But I don't have the coordination to watch my tacho at that speed! Haha.

I was actually catching most of my opponents by the end of the race, and they were running 13's/high 12's.

LOL, I have a 73HTA TD06L2 :whistling:

Altering comp wheel size little over or under makes no differences, it doesn't mean it has to be a 73mm, I haven't never seen their turbos before, so blade profile will be totally different. Any results from that on a Rb25det?