SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Technically assume the exhaust end can match the flow of the compressor it will produce the same power. I think the SS1PU can possibly produce around 340rwkws on my high mount setup.

We've tried 25~26psi it didn't make many more power and started to surge. So 22psi is about the sweet spot for this turbo.

Other thing to mention is how much power and torque it picked up comparing to when its internally gated and fitted to a ported stock exhaust manifold.

Yellow / (pink due to no ink) is SS2 on high mount ext gate plumb back @ 22psi

Red is SS2 on ported stock manifold @ 22psi

Blue is SS2 on high mount ext gate plumb back @ 20psi

atr43ssmanifoldvs.jpg

Those results actually make me consider moving house so I can get a permanent garage space for the Skyline and be able to work on it!

It shouldnt cost much to convert your G3 to an SS2.

Doo eet.

It shouldnt cost much to convert your G3 to an SS2.

Doo eet.

Well I'd definitely swap out the stock manifold for at least a Brae style low-mount external gate if there's such thing....so there's some more money. And a retune. And e85. lol.

However like I said, nowhere to work on my car :(

Well, if you do decide to do it at dont stop at the manifold and gate alone. Get the turbo done too.

To convert it to SS2 ex gate it would need a new compressor wheel, new front cover, and a new 5 bolt adaptor for the rear of your existing housing. Core, turbine and rear housing will stay the same AFAIK. That should be cost effective to achieve...

Kind of makes me wish I still had a skyline, or at least an RB25 in my 200 lol

But I do have THIS!!!:

post-43588-0-27205500-1354679248_thumb.jpg

post-43588-0-55915600-1354679299_thumb.png

Well I'd definitely swap out the stock manifold for at least a Brae style low-mount external gate if there's such thing....so there's some more money. And a retune. And e85. lol.

However like I said, nowhere to work on my car :(

happy for you to use my garage but you must help me take out my motor when the time comes and also get rid of my mate's shitbox lancer with a some ghey mivec motor.. it's been in there for over 4 months.

Well, if you do decide to do it at dont stop at the manifold and gate alone. Get the turbo done too.

To convert it to SS2 ex gate it would need a new compressor wheel, new front cover, and a new 5 bolt adaptor for the rear of your existing housing. Core, turbine and rear housing will stay the same AFAIK. That should be cost effective to achieve...

Kind of makes me wish I still had a skyline, or at least an RB25 in my 200 lol

But I do have THIS!!!:

post-43588-0-27205500-1354679248_thumb.jpg

post-43588-0-55915600-1354679299_thumb.png

lol don't read this in the wrong tone, but uhhh yeah my whole point was swapping the turbo which would also result in me swapping the manifold too :P

I have the old .82 non-FNT turbine housing though, I doubt that's what Stao uses for his ss2...wouldn't he at least use an FNT housing?

LOL yeah, cars and money... What more can I say. I do understand.

The SS2 would be the .82 Type B housing. Im not sure if thats the same housing as yours or if the older spec is based on a Type A. Either way it would also have FNT, yes.

That older None FNT G3 should produces similar power as the SS2 once put on an proper manifold with external gate, won't be as responsive or have as much mid range. but I can always add the the FNT nozzle later to make some differences. The current 58T G3 would make towards the 380rwkws mark with E85 on the same setup.

The beauty of a high powered stock bolton turbo is they makes the differences once freed from OEM restrictions. The turbos are engineered to adapted on different types of assemblies, so they can be altered to suit OEM IWG, Vband IWG and EXG very easily.

This is my result using the .63 G3 turbocharger with Brae's side mount manifold but internally gated pump 98, But if its going to be on stock manifold I would strongly recommend a .82 turbine.:

atr43g3power.jpg

atr43g3boost.jpg

Fair enough Stao, thanks for the info :)

If my turbo ever does come off, I'll likely have it modified to fit your most recent SS2 specs for external gate, and then I'll try to get an appropriate low-mount external gate Brae manifold made up.

Then 22psi. And e-flex sensor setup.

GAAAAAAAAAATE!

I haven't read this topic lately, in terms of using a standard exhaust manifold and standard comp and exhaust housings is there anything new to offer lately? Using that what power can be expected with full boost around the ~3500-3700rpm range?

I think I've done enough for standard high flows, The best you can get would be a SS2 core in stock housings, while we can run G4 turbine wheel that would probably make into the 280rwkws mark for the 21U / OP6 turbine housings.

IMGP8650.JPG

IMGP8651.JPG

IMGP8653.JPG

I'm currently working on SS1PU turbocharger for external gate Vband. will post photos as its been developed.

Also I will be starting our face book blog which I will load in my turbo build as well as car modification with as much information as possible. I should've done 10 years ago lol. Please add us to your friend list

This is In relation to some of you whom has boost drop issues. Lot of that has some thing to do with how free flow your exhaust is. This is a reading of mine with a quite exhaust and cat, VS exhaust and cat dropped out from the front pipe:

Red = exhaust and cat on

Blow = exhaust and cat dropped from front pipe

Note the dropped exhaust is slightly faster in down low response with 1.2 psi less of a boost drop.

atr43ss2exboost.jpg

Can't remember whom it was, for the member whom had a G3 with 7psi boost drop, when hitting the dyno next, do a run with exhaust dropped and see if that fixes your problem.

Ss2 results on 98. Pretty sure all were on stock manifold or ported stock manifold. Also pretty sure everyone has the update 2 profile including me. Mine is the red line when it had a cam timing issue which is now fixed but hasn't been on the rollers since. Pictures are pretty shit but you get the idea

photo_zpsfe9a9fae.jpg

photo_zps4956dc8c.jpg

Stao, I've got your PU high flowed R34 turbo close to 2 years now. its still going strong, what would it cost to upgrade that to your SS2? and do you have any results from this turbocharger on stock exhaust manifold internally gated?

Well its pretty certain that this turbocharger it self is capable of making around 310rwkws peek on a Rb25det P98. Have a look into the index page there are couple of P98 results used as a stockie boltons. All results from test car are with aftermarket manifold or fully ported stock manifold.

This is 259rwkws out of a Auto, add 20kws auto transition lose, so this should be just under 280rwkws in manual

7d3697a8.jpg

stock manifold but external gated from turbine housings (orange and blue lines):

power.jpg

power.jpg

And this is with a cheap $200 SS manifold:

483595_556895830991447_473150841_n.jpg

In conclusion assume you have good mods, using this turbocharger as a standard replacement on factory manifold internally gated, the maximum you will get is 280rwkws, it will get around 270rwkws fairly easy, from 270 and on wards will be a challenge. Happens to all other G2.5, G3 and G4 regardless of how big the turbo is they all stops around 280rwkws with 18psi of boost. Their true potential unleashes once high mounted externally gated with a proper tune and good supporting mods.

To alter a PU high flow to a SS2, pretty much every thing is re-usable except a comp housing and a back plate. Cost will be roughly $400, from memory you are already making 280rwkws out of the high flow, it won't be making any more power, but will get your better mid range. Or high mount your high flow with a Brae manifold with a 50mm gate and bit of jungle juice, you will be hitting 350rwkws+

Other thing I need to mention is by increase the ID of stock exhaust manifold log didn't gain as much power as I've expected, and that is with a 45mm ID pipe. I'm going to try 60mm ID next and hopefully it can match the performance as my Brae side mount.

IMAG1105.jpg

IMAG1107.jpg

Its been a while since this turbocharger has been developed is any one with a SR20det interested of trailing? The evaluation price on it is $750, and I will refund $100 once receiving your dyno reading so it will cost only $650. I would prefer a SR20det with injectors, pon cams other supporting mods in Melbourne. PM if interested