SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

So I see

Makes sense :D

Edit: What about the z32 afm? Shouldnt the computer go a little funny with that installed to? Or does it idle fine but when i drive it something will happen too? Not that I will. Just curious

I wouldn't idle it for too long as is... you'll be over fueling it allready.

The z 32 is helping lean off the fuel supply ( for the same airflow, the ecu will see less airflow- thus less fuel) but I wouldn't drive it.

What you will find is that the larger AFM has somewhat offset the effect of the larger injectors. If you had just put the injectors in it would quite probably been too rich to start and idle. If you had just put the AFM in it probably wouldn't have "measured" enough air flow and so you would have been well lean. But the combo offsets each other. Probably nowhere near right, but good enough to run.

It's actually a trivial exercise to fire up Nistune, change the AFM and injectors (which resizes the k factor and also can sort out some of the other scales, limits and factors in the ECU that need to be) semi-automatically. Then it should be close enough that you actually could drive it around gently until it was tuned.

Birds I thought you had stock housings on both sides, didn't realise you had the actual FNT rear housing. That's cool.

I think stao was saying the ss2 in all stock housings for the stagea. I'm sure that would be awesome yet I'm not sure that would meet the request of faster spool than stock. That was an interesting ask lol

Nah FNT housing looks stock enough for me, not many can tell the difference and I'm surprised you did; you know your Hypergears! It's the comp cover they look at when they defect you down here.

I think Stao was talking about putting the SS2 into the factory comp cover...ala my setup with the SS1PU.

That's what I'm looking for... maximum zappiness!!! This car needs to be all about strong low rpm torque figures and response... don't care about the top end (that's what my twin td06 gtr is for). I'd be more than happy to end up with a turbo running 16-18psi, spooling faster and making more low end torque that the standard turbo and toping out around 210-220rwkw.

I have modified the auto, so there should be no problems handling the extra torque.

I'm also planning to tow with this car.

Stao can you shoot me a pm with a price for the SS1pu (in my stock turbo) or any other better options.

Cheers

Justin

The SS1PU won't give you what you're after. It's responsive for what it is; awesome turbo...but no 260rwkw turbo is going to give you better response than the factory turbo. SS1PU is only slightly laggier, which makes it great for people chasing power in a daily...but for the requirements you've listed, it sounds like you need a smaller turbo than the factory one. Maybe a T25/T28 equivalent?

The SS1PU won't give you what you're after. It's responsive for what it is; awesome turbo...but no 260rwkw turbo is going to give you better response than the factory turbo. SS1PU is only slightly laggier, which makes it great for people chasing power in a daily...but for the requirements you've listed, it sounds like you need a smaller turbo than the factory one. Maybe a T25/T28 equivalent?

Well I'm open to suggestions... and I have a T3 to T25/8 flange adapter (I don't know why... but it's here somwhere)

Cheers

J.

If you have the adapter then I would imagine an s15 t28 would be similar responsiveness with the ability for more boost due to steel wheels. Although I doubt even a t28 would match the stocker for response due to the lightweight materials in the stocker that make it de-laminate at higher boost. Any upgraded turbo you are going to be sacrificing some response but with these smaller high flows I think you get more back in terms of power than what you lose in response.

If you truly want instant "big engine" delivery out of a station wagon then you might have to consider a big engine station wagon. :)

In saying this I reckon a mild high flow would be enough to make you happy without having to bastardise SR turbos onto your RB.

I think a T28 would be too much effort for the result.

A G1 is more or less a 2860, and will be able to be highflowed into the stock housings. Why not try that? It should have really good response and a good gain in midrange torque.

I think you need more torque than you do better boost response. A G1 will feel like its always on boost regardless, the weight of the car will spool it up earlier and if its an auto the stall converter will also work in your favour.

Such is my vote.

The stegea is a much heavier car so on road it actually has same behaivor as if I've increased my dyno ramps. Means it will have much more heat uptop, and spooling the turbo alittle faster. I would definitly not be going for a smaller turbocharger for this car, its going to pin and cause issues. Plus auto cars appears to have slightly better response then manual.

The SS1 none PU version is a babe 2871 equivalent, I can also make a 2860 equivalent that bolton in a .64 turbine. They are pretty awsome on Rb20dets but they are too small for the stegea.

Well idealy I'd be going a sc vh45, but thesedays I just don't have the time. Plus trying to track down an AWD vh41/5 is hard enough. Not to mention all new loom, auto electical work and attessa patching.

A dirty 30 is an option, but I'm not a huge fan of adapter plates... Plus it's not quite enough of an increase for the effort. The 30 stroker kits are still too expensive.

A nice easy quick and relativly cheap option is a new turbo (plus mine is on it's way out)...

I'm still thinking a SS1 pu and cam gears.

CHeers

J.

Sure enough the SS1PU wont be laggy, but possibly different to what you asked for.

On the SR that came up recently it seemed to behave similar to a 2860 with the stock cams (actually better than a 2860 all round).

So maybe that is a good option, same setup as birds has.

Birds when do we get to see you E85 your SS1PU

When I get new tyres (waiting on Taleb to get in some NT05 265s) and a job. I only have WOT traction in 3rd at the moment and even then she chirps a bit.

Stao, do you have a dyno graph of that?

Yes this is some thing equivalent to a 2860 in .64 turbine and .60 comp on rb25det. Makes 20psi by 3000RPMs lol . it idles on boost.

atr43g1233rwkwboost.jpg

But power isn't that good.

atr43g1233rwkw.jpg

Yes this is some thing equivalent to a 2860 in .64 turbine and .60 comp on rb25det. Makes 20psi by 3000RPMs lol . it idles on boost.

Hmmm...

I have a RB20DET so this does appear to be a decent alternative to stock turbo with hiflow.

The SS1 none PU version is a babe 2871 equivalent, I can also make a 2860 equivalent that bolton in a .64 turbine. They are pretty awsome on Rb20dets but they are too small for the stegea.

What would you say the SS1PU is equivalent to?