SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Thanks guys.... haven't posted results yet because I dont have any.

Me and Toshi did the road tune, but we only got to 16 psi and then we noticed it was missing..

Fixed the miss and then noticed a few air leaks which I have now fixed.

Now Ive just gotta sort out a boost controller as my EVC isnt working and then Im good to do a proper dyno tune...

Cant wait to see what it puts out as its pretty wild atm and its only on 16psi.

Frys tyres when it hits boost in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Going to turn it up to 20psi and see what happens.

On the SS series where people get big boost drops, is it worth trying the Gizzmo IBC-R EBC so you can set the gains

higher as rev rise to try counteract the drop in boost, or has anyone tried one and doesnt work ?, are they any good?

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

You need a strong actuator, but it needs to be installed after tuning preferably, (tuners don't like running it up on 20psi or more off the bat.) Once you have the stiff spring the electronic controller may have a chance of holding boost flat.

On the SS series plus other G series, they got updated wastegate setup now. The boost drop on those at about 20psi is around 2psi. If any one's got a huge 6~7psi drop then that has nothing to do with the actuator setup. It means its got some sort of restrictions more likely on the cold side. could be intake pipe, small cooler or blocked/bad/small piping.

You will find that by tabbing a boost gauge straight after the turbocharger and inside the plenum. If there are big differences then that is the problem. I'm seeing this often with return flow and some cheap ebay cooler kits. Reference is in page 83.

Some further updates on building the TD06/67 test rig. Car is now fitted with a Brae high mount manifold with our own 50mm external gate plumbed back with a 4inch exhaust exhaust.

IMAG1151.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

IMAG1154.jpg

IMAG1155.jpg

IMAG1168.jpg

IMAG1171.jpg

IMAG1172.jpg

Looks good. It did not come with a cheap price. All including the exhaust manifold, screamer, dump pipe plus installation comes to $1880 plus $250 for the external gate, including the turbocharger this kit comes to: $3230

How ever there is a very noticeable gain in mid top end torque without noticing the lose of response.

I will use this test rig to trail all the TDxx as well as the existing ATR43 turbochargers. This setup should provide the best possibly environment for the performance of any turbochargers, and is whats expected on a welly built track car. The end results will vary if components of the setup is differ.

Externally gated turbochargers are cheaper to produce.

Some further updates on building the TD06/67 test rig. Car is now fitted with a Brae high mount manifold with our own 50mm external gate plumbed back with a 4inch exhaust exhaust.

IMAG1172.jpg

Looks good. How ever it did not come with a cheap price. All including the exhaust manifold, screamer, dump pipe plus installation comes to $1880 plus $250 for the external gate, including the turbocharger this kit comes to: $3230

How ever there is a very noticeable gain in mid top end torque without noticing the lose of response.

I will use this test rig to trail all the TDxx as well as the existing ATR43 turbochargers. This setup should provide the best possibly environment for the performance of any turbochargers, and is whats expected on a welly built track car. The end results will vary if components of the setup is differ.

Externally gated turbochargers are cheaper to produce.

haha dont push it too hard till its tuned :P ecu is map sensor based remember :P

hooo crap. I was red lining it 5th gear and my speedo pointed at 10km/H. Its still using the same turbocharger, external gate was holding pretty flat 20psi, in theory the exhaust side should be cooler compare to stock manifold, I didn't hear any knock, hopefully engine's alright. Or will be rebuilding it again for 2013.

Yes I was sitting in a hoist :P

This is my first batch of 25G billet compressor wheels. I've customized the wheel hub and fitted much larger blade with taller profile. I'm hopping to peek around 400rwkws on stock cams before hitting 7000RPMs on E85.

IMGP8649.jpg

So dimension wise, do the T67's fit on the stock manifold with a spacer if you have one laying around there?

Are the comp covers any bigger than 3540 .70's ?

(and yeh i know you will say it makes to much power for stock mani, but thats not my question..lol)

cheers

darren

If ron can fit a 5558 between the strut tower with a 12mm spacer im sure the T67 will fit too.

Im confident the comp cover will be similar in size to stao's .70 or a T04Z/precision etc. No issue there.

The issue is more so that the exhaust housing flange will be a different distance from the centre point of the CHRA. Realistically it makes no difference how much spacer plate you use provided that the comp housing clears the exhaust manifold.

It's a large housing, not sure it will fit on the stock manifold...

thats all anyone ever writes..lol, (not being rude) but 3540's fit on stockers, surely it can't be to much larger(if any)

be nice to know exactly by someone that actually had both for once, so its not misinformation.

Not thinking stocker mani, be interesting if it fitted on a BREA or NZ style sidemount

the 5558 would be .60 3076 in size would it not?(thats what it looks like in pics) , bit smaller than the .70's

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

Hey Stao, I'm still digging the development your pooring into your products..... AND freely sharing the info.

I'm hoping you have a little something in your bag of tricks that can help me..

I drive a S2 (rb25 neo) stagea as a daily... usual mods (fmic, full 3" exhaust, nistune, fuel pump etc...) Do you have a bolt in turbo option/combination that will come on power earlier than the standard turbo? But still make the same or more power. Essentially making it feel like a bigger engine.

I'd like to cap the boost around 18psi

Cheers

Justin