SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Basically by using this front pipe and adaptor it replaces the Nissan OEM IW assembly. it will just be the externally gated turbo plus the cost of those parts.

Yes the front pipe can be purchased without the turbocharger, how ever I can't guarantee it fits as the clearance created by the turbine housing will be different. We had to make few adjustments to that one so it stays high above the ground and also not touching the toll shaft or the chassis. If you are in Melbourne PM Abe2 and he should be able to make you one out of his shed.

I can trim in in further by probably 5mms, I've also used large 3.5 inch pipe which took abit of the spacing. for 3 inch pipes it would miss. Having larger front pipe i theory reduces back pressure and results similar effect as having a larger turbine housing without the lag. the differences in torque after 4500RPMs is noticeable.

Below is a one of SS2 in .70 comp housing externally gated with a cnc 3inch Vband, Its going to be installed on a track car with a high mount ext gated setup. hopefully be seeing responsive 350rwkws on e85.

IMGP8599.JPG

IMGP8610.JPG

IMGP8613.JPG

IMGP8621.JPG

Also billet 25G compressor wheel will be ready soon. I will be converting my current side mount into a Brae high mount setup with a 50mm external gate and a 3.5 inches straight through exhaust on evaluations of the new TDxx series turbochargers as well as further results from current G and SS series.

Hey Stao,

Would it not be a good idea to make the v-band adaptor you show on that SS2 have the internal profile made into a nice conical expansion starting at exactly the turbine exit diameter? I see the nasty step in there and can't help thinking that it would work more nicely as a smooth expansion.

why not have a purpose built rear housing for the v-band arrangement instead of the frankenstein I/W adapter thingamebob

it looks heavy too? and with the extra weight of external gate and plumbing it must be an awful strain on the head/manifold?

+1 for a nice conical exit from the turbine.

The bolt on piece is because the housing Stao uses is a 5 bolt style rear.

What is the point of re-engineering a whole housing when you can just bolt a plate on the back of the one that works? He may spend forever finding a housing that suits the application (and actually works) when a simple interchangeable rear means the one good housing which works well can be used for both internal and external application with only a few bolts. End user gets a benefit in that case also, with ability to swap out.

I think its fine.

I though it was pretty obvious why...

lighter, simpler, and better performance.

surely u can get them from china, they copy everything else.

The housing pictured is genuine Garrett. Have you seen what GCG want for such a thing? Its robbery.

Im sure you can get a copy from China, but that will require testing to make sure it works like the original does.

As has been said, why change something that works and that Stao has put that much R&D into?

The housing pictured is genuine Garrett. Have you seen what GCG want for such a thing? Its robbery.

Im sure you can get a copy from China, but that will require testing to make sure it works like the original does.

As has been said, why change something that works and that Stao has put that much R&D into?

Absolutely is robbery, hence the opportunity to compete ;) ,a total redesign of the housing Stao already uses isn't necessary, just a new outer cast to use a vband like the garrett. Comes down to who ever is Stao's supplier, their willingness to adapt, and whether there is enough demand for the product

Sure it can be done, but it all comes down to cost mate.

Someone has to pay for tooling, and in this case the job gets done at a high level of quality for a very good price. Why muck with it?

The Taiwanese MFG's do produce a 3" vband out housing (ala T67) for the GT30 range which im sure Stao could adapt to his turbos. But considering the fact he has done so well with his Type B 5 bolts there would have to be some really MAJOR demand for him to sit and try that housing and then see if he can again optimise it further like he has with the EXISTING HOUSINGS.

Requires fab work and all, when we already have one that works and is available to everyone. Leave it be...

Hey Stao, how much for that bolt on V-band piece?

Ive always wanted to get rid of the change in size of the dump pipe right after the turbo..

Spewing I didnt know that you made these before I got my dump pipe made up and ceramic coated.

Do you think the current setup would be costing me much power?

Ive got the SS3-EG.... I dont really have a pic showing the step but im sure you know what I mean.

20121007_142813.jpg

As turbine housing concern it needs to satisfy 2x criterias, as it must allow both internal and external waste gating and most importantly must have the correct spacing between the factory manifold and turbine outlet so adaptors can be made that bolts up to factory dump pipe. I went through pretty much all turbine housings in its size and that is the only casting that allows me doing that.

Its got lots of materials on it which made it sort of free style as I can machine in to specs I need it to be as well as machining to fit various types of turbine wheels and bearing housings. Plus with the 5 bolt adaptor I can have that customized into any shapes or patterns for what ever applications. Compare to the TD06 and Taiwan housings, they don't have much of materials on them, pretty thin in walls, just go right through when comes to machining, so very limited applications.

Jarryd: That cnc external gate Vband piece is only $200 delivered. But you might need to modify your dump pipe a little for it to fit.