SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I just gave my car a little right foot on the freeway in 4th gear and noticed i was hitting 10psi at 4000rpm instead of after 5000rpm.

So I'm guessing my lag issue is all in the tune. Can it really make that big of a difference

I just gave my car a little right foot on the freeway in 4th gear and noticed i was hitting 10psi at 4000rpm instead of after 5000rpm.

So I'm guessing my lag issue is all in the tune. Can it really make that big of a difference

Lag will be less in higher gears. This is because there is more load on the engine in higher gears. It wont be the same in every gear.

What gear does it take till 5000rpm to hit boost?

In 1st and 2nd i'm not getting 10psi till after 5000rpm just noticed this morning in 4th and 5th im getting 10psi around 4000rpm.

So theres slightly over 1000rpm difference, don't forget Stao said this turbo should be getting 20psi by 4300 so i would epect 10psi by say 3200 - 3500

With the stock comp housing, you ended up with half mm each side of the intake pipe. lol. But do run it with 3inch intake pipe, stock pipe will restrict power flow.

Because the stock turbo intake is being used it will need to start at 2.5" or 60mm (turbo end) and then increase to 3" as quickly as possible. Something like this is as good as I can find:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ALLOY-INTAKE-PIPE-4...=item25597be9f9

Is there any advantage to increasing the pipe size to 3" if its restriced to 2.5" at the turbo intake anyway?

Edited by Harey

In 1st and 2nd i'm not getting 10psi till after 5000rpm just noticed this morning in 4th and 5th im getting 10psi around 4000rpm.

So theres slightly over 1000rpm difference, don't forget Stao said this turbo should be getting 20psi by 4300 so i would epect 10psi by say 3200 - 3500

Im not commenting on the overall responsiveness of the turbo, but I could imagine somewhere near 1000rpm difference in lag between 1st and 4th gears.

This has power and speed.

http://www.digi-hardware.com/images/dynosh...rwkwcompare.JPG

Post up yours and we can compare.

No Dyno yet in the process of raod tuning the car, maybe i haven't been aggressive enough on the timing

Also going to replace my oil drain as i suspect maybe there is a kink in it

Edited by Crans

if you dont understand that boost repsonse is different in 1st and 2nd to 4th and you don't know how fast turbos spool up exponentially, tuning your car yourself is going to end up in tears

Yes i understand boost response is different between the gears and exponential growth in spool. I just didn't realise there would be over 1000rpm difference between 2nd and 4th not to mention extreme lag is still a problem

I am only doing basic mapping on the street i.e. getting fueling as close to perfect as i can and getting some extra timing in to help response, the rest will be done on a dyno.

I have tuned other cars before with ok results and being very safe and reliable still.

Based on this dyno print out of boost vs RPM http://www.digi-hardware.com/images/dynosh...3boost15psi.jpg i should be making 6psi by 3000rpm and 10psi by around 3300rpm

Edited by Crans

most turbo cars with decent sized turbos will have 1500-2000rpm spool difference between 1st and 4th gear

OK cool i didn't realise the difference was that much.

Oh wow its not tuned yet!! I agree with other people here, spend the cash on a professional tune. A tune will greatly affect the response of a turbo. It will be worth its weight in gold.

I think its unfair to give Hypergear bad feedback without a proper tune.

Edited by Harey

Not giving bad feed back at all, when boost does come on it feels very strong. I am going to tune the car my self and get it checked and adjusted on a dyno.

Like a lot of people i would prefer to do most of the work my self and learn on the way.

Other thing needs to be mentioned is that ATR28G4 unit is running a .82 turbine housing. The one with full boost at 3500RPM is running on .63 turbine housing.

.82 turbine bousing based boost and power curve should be:

http://www.digi-hardware.com/images/dynosh.../atr43360hp.jpg

All the new ones now has the wastegate controller lever, which allows you to run 20psi+ in a steady curve.

Also get rid of your stock rubber pipe. You can't get a decent tune out of that, it will suck bend and suck it self partially shut in random shapes. impossible to get get a constant air flow and reading. I've chucked mine out and replaced it with a 3inch metal pipe. Heaps of difference in power and response.

Also get rid of your stock rubber pipe. You can't get a decent tune out of that, it will suck bend and suck it self partially shut in random shapes. impossible to get get a constant air flow and reading. I've chucked mine out and replaced it with a 3inch metal pipe. Heaps of difference in power and response.

You mean a metal pipe that is 2.5" at the factory turbo end and increases to 3"? Or are you not talking about a PU hiflow?

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ALLOY-INTAKE-PIPE-4...=item25597be9f9

Edited by Harey

That outlet silicon pipe touching the ps reservoir will rub though in time i think, danger lol.

yeah i saw that need to relocate the ps reservoir