SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Was just being a dickhead, ofcourse if you're going from a stock turbo and catback to a HG then no shit sherlock.

Going out on a limb i would say most potential buyers would already have upgraded the dump pipe.

My point was Stao tries to make these turbo's as easy as possible for people to bolt on themselves, without having to worry about buying/fabbing up other things to get it to work.

It was the reason i bought one instead of a GT3076R kit.

Now that we know that JJR quality has gone down hill for the 1 piece dumps all we need to do is find an alternative. My money is on the Xforce.

Mine would be 7 or 8 yrs old. While its probably not as bad as others that are more recent(possibly is), it still didn't match properly and I tapered the edge in places to make it better.

mmm well looks like I really have to make the dump pipe my self to get every thing properly. I'm thinking of getting rid of the factory 6 bolt patterned dump, and have a 38mm internal gate assembly made from scratch to a proper 3inch Vband dump, then a 3.5inches turbo to cat front pipe.

38mm internal wastegate:

IMAG1083.jpg

The internal wastegate assembly:

IMAG1082.jpg

Final assembly:

IMAG1081.jpg

Looks good doesn't it. The cost of making above including a proper one piece dump n front pipe costs $475. Works out to be $1375 for the Gx series. Still pretty cheap considering what most people paying for dump pipes this days. I will post photos as the kit completes.

That would fit any of the 60mm wheels Id say. G2/2.5/3/SS2

My point about the JJR dumps is not so much that they have suddenly became crap, but that we should find an alternative so that people can continue their love affair with the bolt on HG

Sweet, I imagine Stao will have results on this by the time I'm home so should be able to make a decision either way. I need to do exhaust ASAP cos its way loud. I've been pushing it out of the garage in the mornings and start up while im rolling down the driveway for a quick getaway.

Haha yeh tell me about it. I have to jump start it this morning (fkn left bonnet open and forgot to switch interior light off. Means at least a minute of terrorising the neighbours lol. But I love the sound so they can deal with it :F

My mate has fixed up the JJR Dump. Probably now about 75% better. Will post pics when I get the chance

Some of the walls where getting really thin so limited our ability to match it 100% with the gasket

Some of the walls where getting really thin so limited our ability to match it 100% with the gasket

Yeh this is my issue with cleaning it up which has me considering just getting one made.

Yeh this is my issue with cleaning it up which has me considering just getting one made.

Would be curious at the potential loss of power

if its negligible and like 5rwkw then I wouldn't worry about it

but its say 20rwkw then might be worthwhile

Stao's already talked about it in earlier pages that the internal gate will never open to 90 degrees. so the gas can never hit a 90 degrees wall. What I can see he's done is by making a huge wastegate flapper it needed more room for it to open there for needed that extra round bit of space.

Stao's already talked about it in earlier pages that the internal gate will never open to 90 degrees. so the gas can never hit a 90 degrees wall. What I can see he's done is by making a huge wastegate flapper it needed more room for it to open there for needed that extra round bit of space.

Like I said, will be interesting to see the results. The flap can open however it likes, exhaust flow is has to turn 90deg out of the wastegate orifice cast into the housing and then again as it merges with the flow of the exhaust gas.

If he has the sizing sorted then will be a nice solution.

And re the more power/boost less exhaust flow...true but the problem is compounded as you also have more mass of airflow through the engine which needs to go through an orifice in the exhaust housing scroll the size of a 10c piece and when the gate opens another 20c piece which when it opens has to merge without causing turbulence and back pressure to all that exhaust flow through the turbine.

I sure as shit have no idea how it all does what it does so well...just have seen for years people try to get the same result as my setup out of the internal gate TD06 turbos and fail, only for those to go external gate setup and the things work so much better.

Would be curious at the potential loss of power

if its negligible and like 5rwkw then I wouldn't worry about it

but its say 20rwkw then might be worthwhile

Yeh well I wouldn't expect it to be a hell of a lot, but considering I'm chasing a restriction in my setup somewhere, I just want to know that everything is as good as it can be.

Roy my understanding is that in an internal gate turbo the main exhaust stream from the turbine actually sucks the gas from the WG flapper.

So in this case its still possible that the design will still work, and pending results it may work well.

As proven in the kando thread, that specific shitty housing was still shitty with its arse lopped off to operate like a normal 5 bolt rear. So its not necessarily the WG design that makes it shitty, but just that housing in general.