SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Its going to make discharging of air more difficult, which its already hard getting enough out of the Nissan 6 bolt pattern. I would definitely get that exchanged/fixed before turbo installation. Just got to admit that if you want some thing done properly you must do it your self. I'll be making a Vband / two bolt type 4inch front/dump pipe for all ATR43 turbochargers replacing the current Nissan 6bolt dumps in very near future.

Have you done back to back testing between v-band and Nissan 6 bolt Stao? Can you link me to results if so.

Edited by t_revz

I probably have those manifold ready towards end of this year, I like to do few more dyno runs with it before placing the order. That will be a bolton upgrade for a stock turbocharger, means it will fits all the bolton ATR43 turbos including high flows.

Will start the adaptor flange monday and see what I can come up with.

Have you done back to back testing between v-band and Nissan 6 bolt Stao? Can you link me to results if so.

Yes I will need to build one first. Will post results and photos as I go.

Stao: are there any disadvantages to the dual ceramic roller bearing turbos?

I need a Turbo for my new engine and I want to run a G2.5 but just wondering if the ceramic roller bearings are more fragile and unable to handle as much boost etc.

Or are they just a good thing? :)

Either way ill be looking at a g2.5 in the next week or two. Ill PM you if you want

The ceramic rollers are good, its currently working well with the SS2 configuration. I run it on 23psi and it appears to be fine. How ever I wouldn't expect it to have the same life time expectancy as the current journal bearing setup, but I haven't managed to blew any of them up yet so at this stage I don't know how long it will last.

Has anyone had issues with surging with the ATR43 series? At Powercruise I was getting massive surge issues in second coming out of turn 6 up the hill at Wanneroo. At the moment I'm not running a bov as I haven't had a chance to redo my cooler piping since installing the Plazmaman, so I'm assuming that's the issue, but just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing whilst using a bov?

Yep, on acceleration, but not with the throttle open 100%. It was happening as I was coming out of the corner on partial throttle, probably about 50-60%.

I understand the bov would be shut, but doesn't the stock (GTR in my case) leak a little bit on idle/low load to prevent surging? I never had trouble with surging with this turbo before I did the plenum and things.

Okay so the reply back from JJR is that all there dumps/front pipes are the same so mine was not a defective product.

No big deal as I have a mate that will fix everything up for me free of charge

Out of curiosity:

1. Stao is the outlet area of the SS2 the same with your other hypergear turbo's?

2. Those who are running 3inch JJR dump/front pipes did you actually look to see if the JJR outlet area is the same as the inlet area of the turbo?

This could be causing a restriction in your car if you haven't checked?

As JJR supplied me with pics of the 3inch bellmouths from there factory and you can easily see the differences in size between the gasket area and bellmouth area.

Nah PE in Ringwood would have made a good 3 inch bellmouth out of the standard dump flange for sweet fk all. My entire exhaust from them was $600 with me supplying a Varex!

I'll make sure the next R34 GTT I build I'll get an exhaust through them :P

Yep, on acceleration, but not with the throttle open 100%. It was happening as I was coming out of the corner on partial throttle, probably about 50-60%.

I understand the bov would be shut, but doesn't the stock (GTR in my case) leak a little bit on idle/low load to prevent surging? I never had trouble with surging with this turbo before I did the plenum and things.

That is because factory BOV is also a recirculation valve. So it won't let surge. The G3 is a huge turbo for surging, you might want to check for blocked cooler piping or cooler or if cam gear's out by few teeth.

MM. I also think its weird that it surges.

Its 300kw worth of turbo with more turbine than a GT30, so with the .82 it really shouldnt surge.

Something could be out? Has the VCT cam timing been adjusted with a cam gauge? Im sure that the rebuild has changed the deck height somewhat and might have resulted in the belt being in a SLIGHTLY different position.

Okay so the reply back from JJR is that all there dumps/front pipes are the same so mine was not a defective product.

No big deal as I have a mate that will fix everything up for me free of charge

Out of curiosity:

1. Stao is the outlet area of the SS2 the same with your other hypergear turbo's?

2. Those who are running 3inch JJR dump/front pipes did you actually look to see if the JJR outlet area is the same as the inlet area of the turbo?

This could be causing a restriction in your car if you haven't checked?

As JJR supplied me with pics of the 3inch bellmouths from there factory and you can easily see the differences in size between the gasket area and bellmouth area.

I've always been using xforce exhausts. if the flange is small you will see a carbon trace, and mine appears to be fine. Its just a flange welded onto a pipe, I've honestly never thought a dump pipe been made and sold like that.

All Bolton turbos has been made on a jig, so regardless what housing it is the bolt patterns are exactly the same, with all dump area matching up perfectly to stock gasket.

Dump pipe been restriction, yes, a customer just picked up 22rwkws by replacing his split dump with a custom bell mouth. I will get a copy of his sheet next week.

Do you have any more info on the td06 series turbo you're now making? , i currently have a kando l2 variant un fitted , i can quite easily get rid of this turbo i have to replace with one of yours but i would love to see some results (this is to suit rb20 , so i would be needing the 8cm rear housing )

Yes I have stock of the billet 20G but only in a 10cm T3 rear. I can sale you the core for $700 if you want, which you can run that in your current 8cm housing.

18G, and 25G plus 8cm turbine housings are still work in progress at this stage.

That is because factory BOV is also a recirculation valve. So it won't let surge. The G3 is a huge turbo for surging, you might want to check for blocked cooler piping or cooler or if cam gear's out by few teeth.

MM. I also think its weird that it surges.

Its 300kw worth of turbo with more turbine than a GT30, so with the .82 it really shouldnt surge.

Something could be out? Has the VCT cam timing been adjusted with a cam gauge? Im sure that the rebuild has changed the deck height somewhat and might have resulted in the belt being in a SLIGHTLY different position.

Yeh not sure, it's possible. Adds to my suspicion that the cam timing is out...

It was only happening on the one corner, and only in second. If I was in 3rd then it was fine.

Yeh not sure, it's possible. Adds to my suspicion that the cam timing is out...

Bring it to bunbury next month when im home and set cam timing on both and empty some stubbies ;)

Decking/ milling has retarded both my cams but I would think it would take more than that to cause surge on yours. Got an adj exhaust gear?

Bring it to bunbury next month when im home and set cam timing on both and empty some stubbies ;)

Decking/ milling has retarded both my cams but I would think it would take more than that to cause surge on yours. Got an adj exhaust gear?

Haha tempting offer, not sure if the pig would make it that far though :P

Nup, stock gears :/

I'm looking for an ex gear here in j-land then will get into it when I'm back. I would have one ready if your going to check cam timing with a skimmed head as its likely it will at least be a bit out but I doubt enough to surge.

Retarded inlet cam could be closing valves half way through the comp stroke but then I would think it would be gutless down low if it was a full tooth out and Danny might have picked up on it?

Nothing from your graph is too out of the ordinary to be massive timing error though is there?

I'm looking for an ex gear here in j-land then will get into it when I'm back. I would have one ready if your going to check cam timing with a skimmed head as its likely it will at least be a bit out but I doubt enough to surge.

Retarded inlet cam could be closing valves half way through the comp stroke but then I would think it would be gutless down low if it was a full tooth out and Danny might have picked up on it?

Nothing from your graph is too out of the ordinary to be massive timing error though is there?

Well to be honest I have thought it feels a bit doughy down low... Not like your usual off-boost sluggishness, but almost like it hesitates under about 2000rpm. Had been meaning to ask Danny about it. He did mention on his list of things for me to do that I should check cam timing as it's possible it's out.

I need to overlay my graph with Stao's graph, I'm not sure how out it is.

Just checked. You, jay-rod and I are at 90hp at 3k. At 4k he is 200, I'm 190 and your 180. My ignition map is backed off lots so that would put you further from both of us.

I realise they are different turbos but those results were easy to find.

Comparing mine with Stao's ss2 I'm only really looking at boost. At 3700 I'm at 12 psi and he is at 21 leaving me 90hp behind.