SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

350rwhp @16psi, exactly the same power at 17/18/19/20 and 21psi. It just hits a wall. IAT on the 18psi run gets up to 41 degrees, 16psi is 15 degrees. So it's not liking something. My temporary intercooler piping is a problem for sure, and I need a 4" intake pipe. But tuner doesn't think those alone would be enough to do what it's doing. He's given me a list of things to start with, so I'll get onto it and see if we can figure it out.

Hugely impressed with this tuner by the way. For people in Perth, I highly recommend Danny at Garage 101. He is the only tuner I've been to who has asked me in detail about my car, right down to what headgasket and studs are in it. Took 25 minutes to drop it off because he wanted to know everything about it. Then he texted me when it was done because I was in hospital and couldn't take his call; called him the next day to ask how much I owed him and instead he spent 20 minutes walking me through what it had done and what he thought the problem was and what he thinks it should be doing. Every other place I've been to has been "yeh your cars done, it didn't do what you thought it would, come give me money now".

Vic park hey?

Sounds good mate.thats what we all want from our tuners. But all others are prob just sick of hearing repeated stuff from Internet forums and people expecting too much.

Just to sort the issue now. Not exhaust restriction?

thats not bad for 16psi. considering i made 375rwhp on 21-20psi. it does sound like a restriction for sure.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not unhappy. I'll upload the graphs tomorrow, you can see where the power hits a wall.

Vic park hey?

Sounds good mate.thats what we all want from our tuners. But all others are prob just sick of hearing repeated stuff from Internet forums and people expecting too much.

Just to sort the issue now. Not exhaust restriction?

Yeh not bagging out my previous tuners, Andy especially has been very helpful in the past. Danny is just the first that has appeared to be actually interested in tuning the car and not just seeing it as more work.

Will try dropping exhaust again next time it goes in, but Danny doesn't think that's it. Last time I dropped it there was only a 5rwhp difference anyway.

Hows you intercooler piping?

Mine looks to be 2.5 inch pipe ( mabye 2.75??), do you think that would be a restriction ?

Mine is all 2.5", but it's the shape of it that's a restriction. I've got 3 90 degree bends on the hot side before it goes into the cooler, really it only needs one. The cold side has 4 90 degree bends. So it's very convoluted. I did actually have it booked in with Kermit to have the piping done last weekend, but with the lost valve seat I didn't want to drive it.

Hypergears around this size all seem to do it, yours is just a bit worse. This is what Stao's double actuator is trying to reduce.

Does yours have the extended waste gate arm?

The G3 and G2.5 in .82 Type B Rear housing was holding boost pretty steady during the trail. I was getting under 1 psi of a drop with a Profect B.

boost.jpg

It had pretty much identical response, I think some how yours might have more back pressure. if playing with the actuator made no differences I would check pressure differences by plugging a boost gauge just after the turbo and compare it to whatever it reads out from the inlet manifold. You might find:

boost2.jpg

So here's my graph:

308158_10151035475112541_1218309130_n.jpg

Red line is high boost setting at 18psi, blue line is low boost setting at 16psi with the gain set more conservatively to bring it on slower. You can see there isn't a lot of difference in the power output between the two settings. Compared to the previous tune at Allstar, I have picked up almost 1500rpm of response though. Full boost used to be at almost 5500rpm; now it's at about 4100rpm. So it's a totally different beast. This is even more responsive than my old G2 used to be, so the new setup is doing something right.

Still can't drive it myself though, stupid pain medication :(