SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

If i say it pulled hard at 5 psi would you calm down :P ??

That was my test drive around the block to see if i could put it down to the tuners lol.

ECU has a tune for 500cc injectors in it already, so its not driving on stock settings

Edited by jay-rod

Lol still, don't go boosting around with a turbo that blows more air at 5psi than the stock one would at 15. It's just not tuned for it, and boost pressure has little to do with the state of tune in this case.

once its tuned we will be more than happy to hear about teh awesums.

Im not dun worry :)

I got my 1989 Mx6 Turbo to do that with :P

FYI my skyline has had a slipping clutch since i bought it ( put new one in) ....so its a completely different drive even without turbo.

Also it did take a little "Convincing" to get the water lines to bolt up again.

Had to remove them and bend them to the correct angle, as the new turbo has higher water outlet than the stock

Edited by jay-rod

Why cringe at valve guides? Because they are custom or doesn't trust they were done properly?

He said most places measure the guides and think they are too loose and need doing, then they make the custom ones tighter. But if you actually look at the Nissan specs, their valve guides are much much looser compared to most other heads. Not to say that what Headtorque or any other head shop does is wrong, he just said it can cause complications.

When do you get it back martin?

Well I had knee surgery today, so I'm actually writing this from my hospital bed lol. But my tuner just texted me:

"Car went OK. Didnt ooze hp unfortunately. It doesn't like boost at all. It appears there is a restriction at around 340 or 350 hp. After that it doesn't make good hp. 20 psi is hardly any more powerful than 16 or 17 psi which indicates a flow restriction or bad intercooler that has pressure restriction. It went about 350 at 18 psi but went almost the same hp at 16 psi. Needs pipework fixed up. Blew 2 pipes off. Base timing was 10 degrees out. Very hard work."

I'm happy with that for now! Considering the run I've had with this fkn thing so far, I'm impressed it even made it off the dyno :glare: I'll upload charts when I can. I now intend to hammer the fkn thing at Powercruise, drive it for a bit, then I'll look into sorting out whatever is holding it back.

Re-dynoed today.

VCT is fine- about 60hp difference disconnected

Afr is 11.5 from 3500-redline

Apparently has heaps of timing(i havent checked numbers yet)also so it's very safe. Pulling 2 degrees from 3500+ helped spool a little and made 15hp more with 1 psi less boost.

Will change exhaust and double check cam timing when I'm back from Japan then back to Perth for more tuning.

photo-29.jpg

Had the car tuned again today and we had some pretty good out comes. All results today are still based on the ported factory exhaust manifold.

First of all the twin actautor setup tested and the result went exactly as expected. the amount of boost drop was halved. Graph below shown twin actuator setup from today in orange while blue was the single setup from last week:

boost.jpg

This was the single actuator setup from last week with figures:

ss2stdmanifoldboost.jpg

As we can see boost drop with twin actuator setup is 1.2psi, while boost drop from a single is 2.6psi.

As for turbine housing concern I've used a .82 type B rear working with the SS2's CHRA. the result was 3 degrees of extra timing up top, with exactly 21kws of gain. Orange is from today, while blue is a custom profiled .63 rear housing from last week. This combination is probably best SS2 option working with stock exhaust manifold.

power.jpg