SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

sorry mate what I meant was, did you give them your stock turbo and they return it to you highflowed etc or do they give you a brand new turbo and you keep your turbo ?

also with the clutch from what I've ready anything pretty much above 200rwkw and the stock clutch starts to slip badly and you need something with more bite Thanks

$700 buckaroos

OUCH - one of these housings with a cropped 3071 would make it similar to HKS 2835. BUT I'm not so sure if the nozzle shape of those housings suit the 3071 turbine.

ash let me know exactly what your after (boost power torque etc... and i will sit down and put all of them on the same graph. prob sat night though.

PS. Im not sure if everyone has seen daniels R34 but it is one sweet sweet ride and working on it is never a chore as it seems to get cleaner and newer every time i see it :blush: definitely a customers car i would like to add to my garage.

thanks mate! that means a lot considering how many crazy cars you would have come through the workshop! it's ok... i know you prefer the marble paint ;)

Never a chore? i thought she's proven to be a bit of a touchy one to work one... :P But this is my first foray into tuning/modifying etc...

Oh, i forgot to mention mods...

1998 R34 GT-T

Manual

Stock Clutch

Status Tuning ECU Remap

Hyper Gear High Flow Turbo: OP6 Rear housing, G3 Profile, 76mm compressor wheel

Z32 AFM (maxed out stock one at 248rwkw i think, about 17psi)

Nismo 480cc Injectors (mmmm 4 hole spray pattern.... :drools:)

Walbro Fuel Pump

Blitz High Flow panel filter

Blitz Spec-R DSBC

Just Jap return flow FMIC

Splitfire coilpacks

Copper plugs gapped to .8 (bcpr something-a-rather)

rev210 mod for intake pipe (3" stainless pipe shoved inside)

BATMBL Split front/dump pipe, 3" Stainless

Catco 3" high flow cat (small body ceramic)

HKS Super Dragger catback exhaust (3")

and i think that's it. Pretty much the standard stuff before you start with cams or opening up the engine/head, etc.

I would not be surprised if other 34's/33's made more power with this turbo and same mods. "Geraus" has made more power with the first turbo i tried from HyperGear, by about 7rwkw (also done at Status Tuning). I think my car has always just been a tad down on power, so i reckon someone would crack the 260's with this turbo if they were running a pod/bigger cat... IMO

oh, sorry Denis. I actually was lucky enough to run into someone down at Status, another friendly SAU'er and we were chatting and he just randomly mentioned he had an OP6 rear housing he wasn't using, so i took that off his hands for a nominal fee :) So i just lucked out with that. I sold my stock turbo because it was still in really good condition. I got rid of my stock turbo for a good price and i don't think i'd be keen on handing over a fully working stocker for high flowing. I would try and find a blown one or rear housing if i had to again. Or just buy an AVO housing :blink: maybe get a group buy going on those housings at get Stao to do the rest? Probably come up with a killer turbo

OUCH - one of these housings with a cropped 3071 would make it similar to HKS 2835. BUT I'm not so sure if the nozzle shape of those housings suit the 3071 turbine.

I was more thinking with a 52t 2871 CHRA to make a GTRS style turbo :(

ash let me know exactly what your after (boost power torque etc... and i will sit down and put all of them on the same graph. prob sat night though.

PS. Im not sure if everyone has seen daniels R34 but it is one sweet sweet ride and working on it is never a chore as it seems to get cleaner and newer every time i see it :P definatly a customers car i would like to add to my garage.

Trent - would be good to see Daniels

Stock turbo

1st Gen

2nd Gen

All on the one with the following.

Boost vs Power, with RPM as the scale.

AFR's aren't too much to worry about in this instance. Would be good just to see them all together on one sheet with the same scaling

This might be interesting for some SR20 and CA18 people.

TR28KAI .64 version on CA18det with 256 Dur / 8.9mm lift cams, Z32AFM, Nistune, 700cc injectors and usual mods.

Car made 220rwkws at 1.3 Bar (18.2PSI) and 240rwkws at 1.6 Bar (22.4 PSI) on BP Ultimate 98 Fuel

Dyno done on 4th Gear. But unfortunately the Boost analyzer broke on the dyno. Turbo was hitting 1.6 bar at about 3600RPM

tr28kai240rwkws.jpg

Trent - would be good to see Daniels

Stock turbo

1st Gen

2nd Gen

All on the one with the following.

Boost vs Power, with RPM as the scale.

AFR's aren't too much to worry about in this instance. Would be good just to see them all together on one sheet with the same scaling

will do first thing 2moro.

dunno mate, don't know what a clutch slipping feels like :/ well.. i might have felt it before, but not known what it was.

didn't even think about clutch. didn't know it would be an issue. is the stock clutch not meant to handle this sort of power? :huh:

no the stock clutch from all I've read will be fried in no time with that sorta power... clutch slipping is easy to check, drive down onto the highway and drive at 50-60kmh or so... then put it in 4th and put the pedal to the metal...

If the revs go up quickly without the car accelerating accordingly, it's slipping ie. the revs should match the speed/accelaration of the car. If the car struggles to accelerate (as it should in 4th at such slow speed) AND the engine is not revving its nuts off, it's not slipping. That's my understanding anyway.

Don't want to alarm you but if I were you I'd start saving for a new clutch because the stock one won't last long with 250rwkw.

Edited by Delta Force

I've never realised its on Stock Clutch. Do you think it might have slipped some KWs away?

Nah clutch is good as curve is sweet, i reckon it is hanging on by a thread though.

Loss of top end would be the std airbox arrangement as any more boost gives no real gain in top end. I tested the same thing on other cars and removal of the lid reveals 10-13rwkw str8 up.

okay here is stock turbo tuned vs g1 highflow. This car did not like making over 190rwkw on the stock turbo usually we would see around 212rwkw.... again pod would fix this.

Boost on all runs is relatively low as it does not like anymore... ie increased boost required far too much timing to be pulled which again leads back to inlet and the airbox. Geraus car is a good comparo as it runs a pod... That said daniel and i discussed this and i dont think another 10rwkw is worth the cop issues on this car from having a pod.

post-34927-1242715635_thumb.jpg

post-34927-1242715659_thumb.jpg

Edited by URAS

damn you edting the thread lol :devil:

I rephrase my question now

1st set of graphs, power/torque of the stock turbo are jumping around a bit - was it stock ECU related??? (ive since seen the boost graph which looks ok)

(first set of graphs) blue is stock im assuming because in the 2nd graph is a very 'wavey' - boost control problems was there?

nah the std turbo power delivery of these cars (R33 and R34) always looks like that regardless of ecu / tune due to the scale (i have it scaled for the higher power) and lack of dampening from heavy rollers same car on a roller will have a sweet curve. 190rwkw at 11psi is not to bad though, i tried 13psi but as posted earlier more boost only required disproportionate amounts of timing to be removed... plus i like to run the least boost to make power.

I have found many of the hypergear graphs show stratospheric boost levels (22-25psi) and i really like to cap boost to 18-19psi on std engines to give them a long healthy life unless specifically told to run more.

Edited by URAS

Has anybody used a high flowed RB25 turbo on a RB20?

What power would that approximately achieve?

Taking for granted that all supporting mods have been done of course...

Edited by Douse

The housings of them are the same as R33 RB25det. So the max you can get is about 230rwkws after high flow. Go for a TR43 G2 if you want 250rwkws ish.