SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I'm talking about a VQ not an RB.

Why would the engine matter? The turbo will pump X amount of air, and if there are no restrictions any engine should run around 300 on e85 with an SS1PU, maxing out the compressor.

Isn't displacement a restriction? I would have thought at a given RPM the turbo can pump more air through a 2.5 than a 2.0.

Isn't displacement a restriction? I would have thought at a given RPM the turbo can pump more air through a 2.5 than a 2.0.

Yes it is a restriction, hence why you need more boost to make the same power on a smaller motor, same as smaller cams need more boost etc etc. Though technically he accounted for that by saying "no restrictions" which basically takes the engine out of the equation and assumes a magic black box that has no friction/pumping losses etc lol.

Edited by Rolls

I mean stick,mig or tig?

I'ma take a stab and say not any of those three.

Brazing is the likely best and easiest way to weld steam pipe to cast.

If not, then maybe Mig. I doubt Tig or arc would get a look in.

Stao?

Edited by Cowboy1600

Tig would easily do it, many people dont even bother pre heating the cast

Just been doing some Googling on welding cast and it seems pretty much every method is possible, which I was unaware of, but tig and mig would appear to be the least popular for something like an exhaust manifold as many heat cycles causes it to become impregnated with carbon which makes it brittle.

I found this site - http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/ there's some great info there for anyone who's interested. I love welding although don't get to do much these days.

Did you calculate the extra volume?

If not, it'd be great to do so. Block off the turbo outlet and fill that sucker with water. Then compare it with a stock one.

Can't wait to see results.

Also, would running a die-grinder around the ports to open them a fraction and smooth them out be beneficial?

I know port shape and smoothness on intakes are very very delicate, but I don't think the same applies to the to side. In fact smooth ports might speed up gas flow which means faster spool. At least that's my uninformed theory :)

Might have been worth running the die grinder over the whole inside while the back was off. Maybe give that a go next time.