SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

both those clutches are cushions. the way you tell is if there is a full disk or if there are paddles.

full disk are cushion (theres a wave plate between the two outer surfaces), paddle clutches are the non cushion type.

my favourite type of clutch are the multi paddle ones, sprung centre and 6 or more paddles. they are rarer, the exedys are usually 3, 4 or 5 paddles as a maximum. the more surface area you have the friendlier the clutch is to use. I think thats a better way of making the thing manageable than a pissy wave plate.

that being said ive got a pissy cushion button in my car too :P

cushion apparently, but it was TERRIBLE to drive, shuddered and f**ked my gearbox, in the end it still had massive bite and shudder but would slip on hard changes to 2nd.

I am renowned for having no mechanical sympathy haha.

Those symptoms point to the clutch being highly glazed.

you should order an organic HHHD next time. high clamp load but a forgiving material.

Those symptoms point to the clutch being highly glazed.

you should order an organic HHHD next time. high clamp load but a forgiving material.

Yep that is what I put it down to as well, too much trying to slip it in traffic driving to work no doubt caused half of that wear opposed to actual abuse.

I ended up getting a Jim Berry organic after that, was much more appropriate, nicer to drive and held the power/abuse just as well. Have a similar thing in my r32 now, organic exedy HD I think with uprated pressure plate, holds 260 no problems.

yeah an organic isnt as bad as people think they are provided the pressure plate has the right clamp load.

i tend to recommend them over buttons in most applications.

I raise you my button clutch, I did this just daily driving the thing ; ) Totally destroyed it, you can see the heat discolouration and warping of the rivets, with only 150rwkw as well lol.

clutch1w.jpg

I did nearly exactly the same thing to the same clutch with just shy of 200rwkw. Didn't get thrashed to often and one day just started slipping. No such issues with the NPC :)

lol Dan, yours makes mine look like a brand new clutch. Speaking of which, reco gearbox and new clutch are in. It was dragging at first, so I swapped in a longer slave pushrod and adjusted the pedal. Now the take up point is a little too high, so I have to adjust the pedal again -_-

Only been on a short test drive, but she feels great so far - no more crunchy gears and the organic clutch is very friendly. Can't wait for my 1000km run-in period to finish, then I can see how this NPC holds up to the SS1PU...AND GET AN E-FLEX TUNE!

you should order an organic NPC next time. high clamp load but a forgiving material.

fypbrah

Yeah the poor thing took a beating!

So I found the rattling noise in my clutch goes away when I slightly touch my foot on the pedal this is before the pressure point.

Should have it back out in the next week and then we will know what's going on.

Can't wait to see your 85 tune and what power it makes! As soon as tax comes im hitting it up and also going to get stao to swap me a 14psi actuator

Lmao kasko the clutch killer.

never driving my car, good effort tho :P

Oi shhh! Don't tell people or I will never get a drive. Nah but honestly it was my first manuel car I have ever driven and also couldn't handle the SS1PUWERRR

Edit: I blame the SS

haha :D all good. 18 monthsish to go and ill be back on the scene, ill give you a spin mate dw :P see how a real engine performs LOL!

For anyone interested this is my setup that will be installed by the weekend, ss2 0.82 type b rear, ext gate 44m tial with screamer

and a comparison of the rear housing and wheel from factory

post-80628-0-64100900-1341395583_thumb.jpg

post-80628-0-54871300-1341395632_thumb.jpg

Yep very interested. Have you got the new lightweight comp wheel? Mine is currently being updated so couple weeks til it's going

According to stao I have the most recent one. So not the lightweight one but the one after. Lol. Too many to keep track of.

Pretty sure the last 2 weight the same it's only design that is slightly different. I'm also getting most recent version

For anyone interested this is my setup that will be installed by the weekend, ss2 0.82 type b rear, ext gate 44m tial with screamer

and a comparison of the rear housing and wheel from factory

You got both internal n external gates.. What the.. Welding the internal gate shut?