SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

hi hypergear mate. just a suggestion for ya, dunno if you agree. when you post up your turbos i rekn u shud put the price of it up aswell next to the model code. i always go on there and see them and im like ooh i wonder how much that one is. dont wanna pm you about every one i see every new day or whatever

Have you thought about how youre going to get home, because it's 400 odd kms and I don't think you will make it on one tank of e85. Is there a servo on the highway that sells it?

Might have to carry a few jerry cans with you?

I was going to try for a dual map setup.

Just use a laptop to switch between 85 and pump

So get it tuned with Jez and then drive home on 98?

I dont know how easy this will be or not

The only issue with dual maps is while the transition between fuels is happening there may be some residual fuel left which can affect the tune till it is all out. Aslong as u dont drive hard during the transition

I was going to try for a dual map setup.

Just use a laptop to switch between 85 and pump

So get it tuned with Jez and then drive home on 98?

I dont know how easy this will be or not

Oh ok, it'd probably be a bit of a sl*t initially when you change maps but I can't see why it wouldn't work. You will probably end up on 98 most of the time because there's limited access to eflex in Canberra.

Probably best to chat with Jez about it and see what he thinks.

Edit: Jez just posted in here

Edited by Mitcho_7

The only issue with dual maps is while the transition between fuels is happening there may be some residual fuel left which can affect the tune till it is all out. Aslong as u dont drive hard during the transition

Is there any way around this?

Such as what stao said where he has the pickup right in the bottom of the tank.

I cant afford to run 85 all the time and I can no way afford a flex setup haha

85 is cheaper per litre but it contains less energy, so it probably work out the same as 98 cost wise/distance travelled.

I think if you're going e85 commit and run it all the time or theres no point really.

Then have the 98 map as a backup if you are caught somewhere that doesn't have it

Edited by Mitcho_7

Yeah thats what would be happening.

I would be using the girlfriends car when traveling to the coast etc.

Just need it as a back up if I get stuck.

**Stao when you get in here mate let me know if you have ever put the SS1PU on 85 or if its going to happen.

Would love to see results

I agree, you will end up never going back to 98 anyway once you have felt the powerz. You can feel good everytime you get on the gas too, its green fuel, carbon neutral so your'e doing the planet a favour dropping that skid. :)

I thought about that mitch but I just cant get my head around the costs of it.

Probably should sit down and work out everything.

See which is most cost effective

Wmi will probably work out more long term. The cost of the kit is comparable to injectors etc so that's negligible.

Its Mostly due to the fact that the price of 98 will get higher because it's dictated by the cost of oil which we don't have much (if any) supply of our own, so we are at the mercy of OPEC and the us dollar cross rate. You also have to get methanol ($80 for 20l). Whereas e85 should be a steadier cost because it's made from things we have an abundance of on shore.

Edited by Mitcho_7

Fark cheaper then the SS1PU

SS1PU is the response king though, still loving 3rd gear at legal speeds :)

If you have 1-2 litres of E85 in the bottom of the tank and you fill with 60 litres of 98, as long as your 98 tune isn't on a knife edge, it's not going to die in the ass. Better yet, get an emergency tune made up, based on a couple of litres of E85 being left in the tank and then filled up with 98...

E content sensor will be handy too.

Maybe just get Jez to tune both maps with 5 or so litres of the other fuel in the tank?

Yeah this would be good.

And as Birds said make sure its not knife edge which I know Jez doesnt tune like this.

SS1PU is the response king though, still loving 3rd gear at legal speeds :)

This is very true but 2nd gear is snapping into 3rd is my fav!

It steps out out when ever you plant it in 2nd.

Have you fixed your clutch slip?

Whereas e85 should be a steadier cost because it's made from things we have an abundance of on shore.

Scotty would have a better idea about this than me but it seems like E85 pricing goes up and down in conjunction with regular petrol pricing. If 98pulp goes to $2 I highly doubt E85 will still be under $1.20 or even $1.50...

Caltex is 20c less than unleaded. United were 10c less, but they just dropped 15c off the price so 25c less than unleaded. They both have ethanol plants in Queensland now but I'm not sure the Caltex one is operational.

The price is set against oil for some reason, sounded dodgy as hell. I have the email from Caltex about it and I posted it in the E85 thread a year or two ago.