SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

To keep this thread on track I wonder if Hypergear and Scotty NM35 join forces to start making a bolt on package together that you can buy your turbo and custom made air intake piping etc so that u have everything you need straight up to get the car. After all if hypergear gets a few made up it should be able to reduce the price for customers.

I would be keen, and doing bulk runs would bring the cost down a little but at the end of the day there aren't many of these selling, not enough to warrant getting cnc mandrel piping and bov bungs made anyway. Added to that, everyone wants a different product, some for stock airbox others for pods, some want breathers some don't.

The basic pipe I can do much cheaper its the added labour costs involved in die grinding the hole, making the bungs that have to be manually turned on the lathe then tigged at tight angles, die grinding/cleaning up inside the pipe etc. Yes you end up with a much better and legal design but it obviously must cost more, I only charge for my labour, no profit margin here.

I was thinking of getting the pipes made in China in bulk but they would just under cut me through ebay like so many other manufacturers have found. No point.

Eco crap had nearly ruined the thread :P

Stao probably invented 3 new turbos while we weren't paying attention lol

Has the work with VNT Turbos got far yet? ATM I'm thinking a g2.5 looks the go but a VNT would be awesome

the Eco friendly chat is cool. I don't mind carbon tax and what ever the labor's trying to do

You have a PM ;)

P.S. the rb25 gets fare too much attention please develop a cnc bilit for the little o'le 20

You have a PM ;)

if it's carbon pricing related, do share... wouldn't want Stao to be misinformed would we ;), already had a few common myths trotted out in this thread already ;)

is anything else happening on the variable vane front Stao? or is that on the back-burner at this stage?

Also:

Uploading some video footages from 3 weeks ago regarding to the Prototype ATR43G3 Alfa ceramic ball bearing turbo. One of the injector went funny towards the end of that run, the best it made was 334rwkws on 22psi of boost. Didn't get the sheet, will go back with it again with aftermarket manifold, new injectors and more boost.

For now:

Are there more stories on this shinny roller bearing turbo? Ever throught of using this on your new SS2?

Are there more stories on this shinny roller bearing turbo? Ever throught of using this on your new SS2?

Its too expansive to build plus not much difference in performance. So I will leave that project for the time been.

Status is getting their dyno fixed today, so assume every thing goes well, I should have some results from the new SS2 turbo on monday.

Status is getting their dyno fixed today, so assume every thing goes well, I should have some results from the new SS2 turbo on monday.

I'm excited :) I'm almost ready to drop engine back in but will send it back Wednesday if results are good

Some updates:

I've finally managed to start the car, for some reason it was much harder to get the E85 started when the weather is cold. It is other wise in a worm day. unfortunately this years Melbourne winter is pretty cold.

The new turbo using less weighted material driven nicely and responsively on road with the G2.5 tune, with plenty of 3rd gear wheel spinning action. I believe this is the most responsive turbo using .82 type B turbine housing internally gated so far. Hopefully producing similar power as the G2.5 while providing SS1PU's response.

newwheel1.JPG

Interestingly or not, E85 appeared to be a much cleaner fuel then 98. I have taken some photos from the G2.5's rear housing and turbine shaft when it was re-made into the current SS2. They are clean, while 98 would leave a firm layer of black carbon.

turbinewheel.JPG

Note: The black mark on the turbine wheel is carbon mark. No one will ever get a cracked turbine wheel from here.

turbinehousing.JPG

Only the new SS2 if works well, you are welcome to send in yours for update free. SS1PU is probably in about a week time, running the comp wheel machined using the same material. I will also be doing lot of tuning and work for the turbo kia project.

Trent's tuning it on Monday. Likely I will be keeping it on E85, possibly few runs on 98 depending on how the time goes.

Is E85 relevant to most people interested in your turbos?

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on this.

I'm very keen to strap an HG to my Stag sometime this year, but certainly won't be going with E85 due to it's limited availability.