SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Good luck with everything Hanaldo!

What is a decent low mount exhaust manifold to upgrade to from the stock r33 one? Ideally one that would allow the use of the same dump/front pipe?

Finally started car for first time after installing the ATR43 G2 in the car and I'm a little worried. First turned car on for short period (1/2mins just making sure all intake setup was alright and no vacuum leaks) and saw steam start coming off the turbo so turned car off straight away.

I hadn't put coolant in the car yet so I hit myself in the head then refilled it all waited a little while and started car again. Was letting it idle to bleed the coolant and again lots of steam started coming off the turbo pretty quickly. Am I being paranoid or is it likely my coolant feed has gotten blocked off? I am still using the steel lines and obviously had to 'adjust' them so that they would fit up to the new turbo.

Finally started car for first time after installing the ATR43 G2 in the car and I'm a little worried. First turned car on for short period (1/2mins just making sure all intake setup was alright and no vacuum leaks) and saw steam start coming off the turbo so turned car off straight away.

I hadn't put coolant in the car yet so I hit myself in the head then refilled it all waited a little while and started car again. Was letting it idle to bleed the coolant and again lots of steam started coming off the turbo pretty quickly. Am I being paranoid or is it likely my coolant feed has gotten blocked off? I am still using the steel lines and obviously had to 'adjust' them so that they would fit up to the new turbo.

It's more likely to be smoke. You most likely had a bit of oil on your hands or you dripped a bit from the oil line, which is now on the rear housing or the dump pipe. It will just smoke a bit until it burns off, nothing to be concerned about.

Mine bellowed smoke for a good couple of minutes burning all the shit that I put on touching it the whole time.

Give it a few minutes and it will go away.

If it doesn't then check all the water lines going to it.

99% it's going to be the dirty turbo

Yeap. Every time I do a turbo on my own or another car I get lots and lots of smoke as it burns off my grubby paw prints.

Just make sure you are checking for liquid leaks. No leaks, no worries, let it keep running.

Awesome thanks guys I know i def got oil and such on the turbo my hands were covered in crap haha. The turbo shouldn't get hot enough to damage it on idle even if it is getting restricted water going through to it do you think?? I mean the oil is still flowing through it and some turbos are oil cooled only.

I looked for leaks and didn't seem to be any which I was happy about

Just make sure the oil line supplied with turbo is used and actuator is tightly shut with preload. Then that will he fine. Water is optional, they also works fine with no water.

Check your heater drain hose isn't fouling against the turbo too, this will give you a burning rubber/mechanical smell when the turbo heats up. I tied my hose back with a cable tie and it's been sweet since.

could have also cracked a water line when manipulating it, pissing a small stream of coolant onto the rear housing/dump pipe

easiest way to tell: what does it smell like?

S1 R33

3 inch dump,high flow cat, 3 inch exhaust

Apexi metal intake pipe with pod --- problem?

China fmic --- problem?

044 fuel pump

660cc high flow injectors

Superspark coils with copper plugs @.8

Nistune ecu

Eboost street

SS1pu

277.0hp @17psi

There isn't any boost leaks, we checked while there. I also double clamped all the pipes to make doubly sure.

I did check at the time whether i pulled all the rags out as well.

It's got me stumped, any ideas??

post-85384-0-31077300-1337587207_thumb.jpg

Drop the exhaust, that seems way too laggy.

Brand spanking new Apexi n1 pro installed on saturday.

I know whats wrong. Because he's from Perth. :D

Could be, could be ;)

Although last week the egt light came on for 2 minutes, then went away. But i checked out the cat when i put the exhaust on and it looked ok (3 months old)

This turbo generally makes a responsive 260rwkws with 18psi of boost, confirmed by couple of members.

Pre-dyno tuning you should have:

Proper aftermarket ECU that is designed for the model of engine

It appears to me like a R32 ECU + Nistune with no VCT activation.

Mechanically sounded engine

Make sure compression are good, base timing is correct and matches with ECU data.

Spilt fire coil packs with correct “copper” spark plugs

Good quality fuel injectors and a good fuel pump with a new fuel filter.

Good and effective 600x300x75mm intercooler, that excludes most of return flows.

Have a feel on the cold end with your hand after each dyno pull. Good cooler remains cold.

At least 3inch “metal” induction pipe with a free flow pod filter. This excludes:

Re-enforced or modified based on stock rubber intake pipe

Random ebay cast metal pipe made for factory turbo.

Custom pipe that goes into a sealed factory airbox.

If above is what you have make sure you change it refer to working examples from this thread.

At least 3 inch free flow exhaust

Excluding certain restrictive cats

Excluding restrictive mufflers

Good way to test it is by dropping off the exhaust pre-cat. substantial gain means restrictive exhaust system.

The last thing is the Tune. There are bad tune related examples from Perth, and there is very little that I can help with, apart from sending you a Nistune map based on the same turbo for reference. Give a try at "All star garage".

If there is a sincere believe of a fault on the turbocharger, then I'm happy to have it fully tested on a good setup in return of testing result and tune map, any defects found will be repaired.

No way am i disrespecting the turbo, i'm just after peoples opinions as to what could be the problem.

I will try a new fmic setup and a 3 inch all the way intake though, the apexi one is 4 inch - 2.5 inch.I'm starting to lean towards the cat at the moment tho.

As far as the Nistune, it's out of a zx and vct is fine, timing was also checked at the tuners.

I'll keep scratching my head, i guess i was hoping for someone to say "that's what's wrong you f***ing idiot"