SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

No need for the sarcasm mate. I'm using a much larger turbo than you and my strut brace fit fine. You are also the first person I have seen complain of this problem, ergo you've done something differently to everyone else. Unless Stao has positioned the housings wrong.

What elbow are you using from the compressor outlet, silicon? Can you upload a picture to show what exactly the problem is, maybe I'm picturing it wrong?

The elbow is the stock cast aluminium piece which bolts onto the compressor outlet. This sits directly under (ie; touching) the crossover pipe. Hence the crossover pipe cannot sit any lower. All of the I/C piping is stock.

I am keen to hear input from Stao to see if the rear housing places the compressor in a slightly different position than stock.

Sure, the sarcasm was probably uneccesary, but so was the assertion that I've done something wrong.

The elbow is the stock cast aluminium piece which bolts onto the compressor outlet. This sits directly under (ie; touching) the crossover pipe. Hence the crossover pipe cannot sit any lower. All of the I/C piping is stock.

I am keen to hear input from Stao to see if the rear housing places the compressor in a slightly different position than stock.

Sure, the sarcasm was probably uneccesary, but so was the assertion that I've done something wrong.

I see, there you go, I was picturing it wrong. My mistake. Didn't mean to cause any offense with my comment mate.

Nice job supporting the front there Stao, I doubt it will be able to sustain much boost but it could supply a turbo intake with plenty of airflow, should work nicely bolted to the 33. :)

If only you could get it inside the chra, it would be a good pre-spool device for short bursts...

Some updates regarding to the Electric turbo. lol.

Now running duel roller bearing with 44V 6KW motor spooling up to 48000RPMs. Its makes very strong thrust. If i'm holding it on a skate board I'm pretty sure it will push me forward. Should've thought of making it into a back pack for a bicycle.

Since its working I'll be testing it on E85 in about 2 weeks time.

font1.jpg

front2.jpg

mmmm doesn't looks like a joke any more. electric turbos might soon be reality. what happened to that big billet supercharger you've working on stao?

Will be retuning elusivitys car tonight with the mods Tao has recommended to help hold the boost up high RPM. Let u guys know tonight

Was it done tonight with the gate controller? Any gain in boost or power?

Regarding to the old massive supercharger running on 12V,

2.JPG

it only made minor difference in the power curve through specific rpm range when batteries are fully charged. Its drawing way too much power and dangerous to operate. I've used a 600Amp switch to operate and it welded the switch together, it only came to a stop when the batteries were depleted. Those batteries were 2x huge Optima (biggest there is), they only lasted about 2 mints and was fully discharged. The gauge 0 cable connected to it were all melted from heat. Definitly not a toy I would install on any one else's cars.

Was it done tonight with the gate controller? Any gain in boost or power?

No, coilpacks were giving out, also may have melted the cat, new coilpacks tomorrow and a 50mm grub screw as one of the M8 bolts wouldn't fit cause it was touching the housing and actuator arm, so will try again tomorrow night.

If only you could get it inside the chra, it would be a good pre-spool device for short bursts...

I say old bean, how bout a third housIng with electromagnets to spool the shaft that shut off after a certain RPM?

The only hassle is the rare earth magnets don't like heat, it would have to be in front of the compressor to cool well enough I think.

Hmmm, wonder if this (assuming you could pull it off) would also assist with extraction of exhaust gases given the back pressure caused by turbos? Potential thermodynamic benefits from this alone?

Dual stage turbos..

The new ford/mazda diesels use them now..not sure how they would go in a high rev application..

The Supra in twin sequential form can reach 300wkw but the graph isn't that great, there is a big drop off in power as the first turbo runs out of puff, switches over the exhaust valve and has to spool the larger turbo. Works well though...

Hmmm, wonder if this (assuming you could pull it off) would also assist with extraction of exhaust gases given the back pressure caused by turbos? Potential thermodynamic benefits from this alone?

I guess with less lag you could run a larger turbo = farkn great. The motor only needs to help the exhaust spin it up earlier as they would both work together.

it only made minor difference in the power curve through specific rpm range when batteries are fully charged. Its drawing way too much power and dangerous to operate. I've used a 600Amp switch to operate and it welded the switch together, it only came to a stop when the batteries were depleted. Those batteries were 2x huge Optima (biggest there is), they only lasted about 2 mints and was fully discharged. The gauge 0 cable connected to it were all melted from heat. Definitly not a toy I would install on any one else's cars.

whoa!!!

Further updates:

This is a prototype turbocharger using billet wheel made for external gate use that I'm happy with its performance. It makes very solid power band with excellent response. I will refer to this prototype as the SS3-EG. It is now commercially available only in the form of external gate. Since no internal gate or bolton bits had to be made, I'm able to produce it at a low price of $1000 + tax or $1100 including, that is with the rear plate required for front making.

front.jpg

rear.jpg

This turbo is not made internally gated. It can only perform on a externally gated setup, preferably high mounted with a large 50mm gate using E85 fuel.

Readings from earlier based on a side mount manifold with a 44mm external gate mounted to turbine housing on pump 98:

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Did some testing with the electric turbo this afternoon. It registered 1psi on my boost gauge 2nd gear full throttle to red, with out it the car is always on vacuum to a maximum of -5psi at 7000RPMs 2nd gear, So if we count from where it was without the E turbo then it actually made +6 psi of boost. There is a noticeable gain in acceleration, and funny the BOV also operates as if there is a turbo, but nothing like having an actual turbo doing 20psi of boost.

The skyline's got a reasonable size motor, I think it might be registering 2~3psi on a 1.5 or a 2L motor.

So how many Xtra batteries do I need to carry to run it?

2x Small 12s 5000mAh Li-po batteries each at the size of a Nokia 5110 phone weights about 1KG total. I'm thinking of series 2x 24V car batteries, that would provide lot longer running time.

Is that my turbo above Stao? cant wait to throw that sucker on..... went from the simple idea of an $800 highflow to a completely new turbo, 6boost high mount manifold, 50mm turbosmart gate, new intake manifold, injectors & rail and a tune... bloody cars