SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Plus I'm working on a VNT .82 rear housing for the G3s hopefully getting SS1PU's response with 330rwkws top end.

Eagerly awaiting results for this. Been tossing up between SS2 and G3 since we spoke but I'll watch how this devolps, VNT sounds like it will be pretty unreal to drive with.

Keep up the good work Stao :thumbsup:

with the SS2 and G3, do i have to send my turbo to you? i cant decide what one ile go for lol

Stao develops and produces them from scratch. send your turbo to him if you want it highflowed etc

G'day all,

Well I was going to wait until it was all done and dusted, but it would be the epic post of 2012. So I thought Id break up my Hypergear experience into a couple of posts;

Car is a Series 2 R33 with the following relevant mods

- 3" exhaust with metal cat

- Blitz return flow front mount

- Xtreme Cushion Button clutch

- Splitfire coil packs

- Alloy intake pipe with standard airbox

After running the standard turbo at 10psi for ages, I decided to try a Hypergear and bought the following goodies for the upgrade;

- Hypergear PU highflow (non SS1)

- S15 450(480)cc injectors

- Z32 AFM

- Gizzmo boost controller

So the car was pulled apart and turbo ordered. It took around 3 weeks for the turbo to arrive which gave me plenty of time to deal with some other little jobs;

I decided to replace all of the exhaust studs, as 2 had snapped in the head.

- Action Thread Repair came and pulled the broken studs out for $150

- New studs and a manifold gasket from Hornsby Nissan (great blokes) came to around $150

- The manifold REFUSED to go back on, so i needed to die grind the bolt holes out. This irritated ths shit out of me, as the manifold CAME OFF THERE a week earlier. Anyway, beware of this!

I also took the time to fit new injectors and seals

- Full set of Injector seals from Hornsby Nissan was $67

- One broken pintle cap replaced

Once the turbo arrived it was fitted up with relative ease. I note the following in terms of fitment;

- The water lines need to be 'encouraged' to fit. Mine seemed to fit okay with only a bit of massaging.

- The standard oil drain fitted and worked fine

- The dump pipe comes close to, but does not touch the air con drain. I heat wrapped the downpipe anyway.

- The whole exhaust was pushed backwards about 0.5- 1 inch

- It came with a standard compressor housing so my existing metal intake pipe fitted, but made it sit a little higher than normal.

With the piping all back on, the only fitment issue was with the whole piping arrangement now sitting higher. This meant that the standard crossover pipe does not fit down flush with its mounting bracket and the airbox snorkel no longer fits without hitting the bonnet. However, I'm sure I can massage/ manouevre it all to fit!

With it all fitted and running, the only noticable difference was that the exahust was alot deeper and louder. Oh, and that heatwrap f*&%ing stinks.

With that all done and sorted I had TOSHI come out to fit the temporary ECU before dyno tuning in a couple of weeks. TOSHI is a great bloke and I look forward to working with him in the coming weeks!

First run on the road and the car feels pretty good. There is nothing under about 4000 RPM, but from there boost builds quite quickly and it feels pretty quick. I am hanging out to get it tuned!!

Ultimately, it has been a little more costly than anticipated (to date) but that is to be expected. Hopefully all goes well on the dyno and no further headaches arise!

Anyway, just thought Id put my $0.02 up here in case anyone is interested.

Ill post up pics once it's all done.

Cheers

Chris

Highflow = standard housings bored out to fit larger wheels.

Highflow PU = standard housings bored out to their limits with even larger wheels. It's laggy but it does make a lot of power.

SS1 (super street, version 1) = a small, responsive turbo like the small HKS turbos ~230-240rwkw.

SS1PU = same turbo, sacrificing some response for more power ~250-270rwkw

Stao should make a chart detailing the product family and what the numbers/letters denote, because it can be confusing, but if you've been following the thread from the start, it does make sense. PU = powered up, like the "R" version of a turbo.

around 280rwkw easy?

lol

how will his "Hypergear PU highflow (non SS1)" make 280rwkw easy when everyone elses larger turbos are averaging 260?

LoL

I guess you didn't follow up this thread. the PU high flow is a ATR43G3 turbo built with a stock compressor housing and a .82 rear.

Means it has larger guts and bigger turbine housing then all of the SS turbos. I've made 287rwkws relatively easy out of it, the average I'm seeing is 280rwkws.

I've tested it. it made less power through out all rev range based on same boost. It just acted as a massive air leakage. Anti surge comp housing is not recommended unless the turbo is surging.