SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Bah!

Yep at the end of the day, responsive turbo, heap of torque and power.

I'm asking the PSI question purely for speed in a straight line. I know the turbo has great response and torque, but does it keep pulling. This is where I get eaten alive and I'm not whiling to sacrifice response to gain a little in the straight line. As I know from comparison on the track there is little difference between what I have and a GT-RS.

Is that what you guys get up to over tuggers way!

Anyone know of I'm slipping in 4th and 5th

Will a new clutch put down more power in the other gears

Only if it's slipping in all gears. It won't make any difference for 2nd or 3rd unless it's already slipping in those gears too.

And yes, the girls down this way are great. There's always a couple keen. ujelly?

Not jelly I have seen their standard and it ain't good.

Hmm well I'm to busy in those gears looking at the road to really tell but I dont think it does

If it's only just slipping in 4th then it's unlikely it's slipping in 2nd yet.

Yeah I know, they're generally all dirty little pregnant mall rats pinch.gif some good ones around to be found though, actually quite a few good lookers in my townhouse complex ;)

So this morning was rather chilly in Melbourne...I was driving to work and decided to see what 3rd gear could do with the freeway on-ramp - complete traction and no wheel spin this time? (Felt good!) What are the factors in this? Being colder than previous tests in 3rd, my car should be making more boost and power which generally equates to more wheelspin :/

The only thing I can put it down to is cold tyres having less pressure in them and offering me more traction...

The only thing I can put it down to is cold tyres having less pressure in them and offering me more traction...

Normally mine has less traction on cold mornings like today (cool weather, slightly wet road from dew or fog). Your tires probably had 3psi less in them so wouldn't think that was enough to affect it. Maybe just a nice piece of road.

Cant wait till I get my clutch fixed so I can see what the pull in 4th and 5th is like

That is where i think you will notice the biggest improvement. I went from around 220 to 255 and 0-100 really didn't change much (loss of traction in 2nd), 3rd was nice but shit 4th just pulled so hard and great watching the tacho and speedo moving together :)

Road surface as well.

Have you been able to spin it on this ramp before?

Maybe just a nice piece of road.[/size][/color]

It was an Eastlink on-ramp, so newish road surface I guess. It's always my "testing" on-ramp where I do rolling to 100 tests etc.

That is where i think you will notice the biggest improvement.

This...

4th above 100, now pulls like 3rd used to pull below 100 (@170rwkw) lol.

My current 0-100 has changed a lot compared to what it used to be.

Yeah from what it looked like on the dyno its going to be a very fun car to overtake with haha

3rd gear is so good at overtaking in the traffic, it's now my favourite gear! You don't have to drop a gear or thrash the engine to get anywhere with this turbo, it just feels unrestricted in the daily trafic. You would think the stock turbo is better down low becasue of it's response, but the SS1PU seems to give you a wider off boost range that is somehow more powerful (go figure). Off boost just doesn't feel like a laggy turbo car to me, it's almost as if the turbo is constantly making a tiny bit of boost all the time lol. Probably not far from the truth, because you can hear the turbo start spinning from way down low.

I'd honestly recommend the upgrade to anyone with an RB25DET powered daily, even if you don't want all the power. It just transforms the whole car into a much more capable daily driver.

Off boost just doesn't feel like a laggy turbo car to me, it's almost as if the turbo is constantly making a tiny bit of boost all the time lol. Probably not far from the truth, because you can hear the turbo start spinning from way down low.

I'd honestly recommend the upgrade to anyone with an RB25DET powered daily, even if you don't want all the power. It just transforms the whole car into a much more capable daily driver.

+1 to this

Turbo is very very nice to drive off boost.

I drive to work each morning at 6am and have to baby it there because it's about 5min away.

Car feels amazing on and off boost

3rd gear is so good at overtaking in the traffic, it's now my favourite gear! You don't have to drop a gear or thrash the engine to get anywhere with this turbo, it just feels unrestricted in the daily trafic. You would think the stock turbo is better down low becasue of it's response, but the SS1PU seems to give you a wider off boost range that is somehow more powerful (go figure). Off boost just doesn't feel like a laggy turbo car to me, it's almost as if the turbo is constantly making a tiny bit of boost all the time lol. Probably not far from the truth, because you can hear the turbo start spinning from way down low.

I've watched this thread quite closely over the last couple of years, and I am confident in saying you bought an excellent turbo. Whether it made 240 or 280rwkw it is what it is, theres no guarantee to a number with any turbo and plenty of people have strapped GT30s and struggled. That's just the way it is.

Your feedback is testament to the effort Stao has put into developing that unit, and anyone who has read the thread as thoroughly as I have would also know it is a great turbo. There is a reason I try to recommend the thing to people :)

If I was to do another RB25 the SS1PU would be my only option for a 240-270kw setup.

Just wait til I go E-flex boy!

I wonder if the FNT design has much to do with off boost being so driveable? Given it's a more efficient use of exhaust gases when you need them most, i.e. for the initial spool, perhaps it is helping out there? I imagine the bigger rear housing would make a difference over the standard housing too.