SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

265/35/18 on the rear...granted I do have them at 40psi, so there's probably traction to be had in lowering the pressures a bit. They are only KU31 so nothing special in the grip department. Thinking of swapping them for Nitto NT05s, as Ric (HEKT1K) is running them in 235/40/18 form @ 280rwkw with no loss of traction in 2nd. If I could fit 325s I would lol.

what EBC u running? try adjusting the settings so it doesn't ramp on as hard.

did that with mine and it only breaks very little traction so the power is very usable in the dry.

running same sized tyres but with achilles ART sport.

Good to hear your result Birds. I still need to post my updated dyno result.

Its funny how before there weren't results for the ss1pu, I posted mine and everyone is acting like there is something majorly wrong with the car when it initially made 242kw..

Meanwhile now we have:

Birds 252kw

Kasko 250kw

Myself 251kw

And that now appears to be accepted as normal. Gotta love forum e-mechanics :)

On another note, I took my car to Wakefield park on Sunday...I think I may have had a bad batch of fuel since it was pinging on the freeway during the drive down however I put in a new batch of fuel then 'tested'' it after which it didnt ping at all so decided to take it to the track. Only did 4 sessions and was taking it easy since I didnt want to risk the car but the turbo is pretty nice on the track. Good power to use out of corners, more top end would be nice but whereas the car felt super underpowered on the track with the stock turbo, it now feels... i wouldnt say fast, but normal.

The turbo is torquey enough to lay long black lines out of corners in 3rd gear if you wish, nice to see them getting longer and longer in the rear view :)

Nice to see they are on par.

How much boost are you running on the track?

Dude i think you need better tyres if you're painting in 3rd :P

Haha nah I run one of the grippiest street tyres you can get, with my power I can usually get full traction even in first on a good surface... Federal 595 RSR.

You just wait till till they overheat a little on the track then flick it sideways and paint all you like ;)

Nice to see they are on par.

How much boost are you running on the track?

I run full boost, 251rwkw around 17psi. Did you go to the SAU track day on Saturday?

I think there should be more improvements to be made on Bird's car, I've seen it before as it had lot of stock egr and epa legal stuff on and the cooler isn't great either. Other thing is the ss1PU tested on mine was running on ebay side mount exhaust manifold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-SKYLINE-R33-RB25DET-TURBO-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-T3-/310281423217?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483e36c971

Not sure if that did help making the extra power. its available for ss1pu people whom's interested to find out at samll cost.

I run full boost, 251rwkw around 17psi. Did you go to the SAU track day on Saturday?

Nah I was getting the things ready for the tune.

Really keen on getting out on the track just don't know how the stock engine will hold pumping 20psi through it for the day.

Might invest in a few more things first such as oil cooler and better radiator as I am still running stock

Good to hear your result Birds. I still need to post my updated dyno result.

Its funny how before there weren't results for the ss1pu, I posted mine and everyone is acting like there is something majorly wrong with the car when it initially made 242kw..

Meanwhile now we have:

Birds 252kw

Kasko 250kw

Myself 251kw

And that now appears to be accepted as normal. Gotta love forum e-mechanics :)

Not to split hairs, but I did produce a rather restricted 258...it would have run fine on this, but we altered parameters purely for engine longevity. This isn't too far off Stao's own test figure and I'm confident there is more I could do to push the number higher. But yes, an increase in sample size does add to the consensus of what you can expect with a given turbo and your average setup. I think we've established that, if you plan to just whack an SS1PU on your car and not do absolutely everything Stao has done, then you can expect results closer to ours than his. Therefore there's no more deception here, the results speak for themselves and the only way that you could fairly say Stao's results are misleading, is if someone did exactly what he did with his car (right down to rebuilding the engine, using the same tuner and same dyno) and came up short.

As a side note, I think some of you guys get way too caught up in the dyno queen figures. When I dropped my car off at Race Pace, I said to Chris...I don't care about the top end, this is a street car. Shoot for what we can get, but in the end I'll take a drivable tune over bragging rights. And these days you're not winning any pissing contests bragging about having anything >300rwkw, so what's the point? If you want something useful to gauge the peformance of a turbo, either hit the track or the quartermile like siks has done and let those numbers do the talking...because these are the numbers that matter. Dynos are first and foremost tuning tools. This turbo moves me through the traffic, it burns rubber when I want it to (and sometimes when I don't), I have no regrets about any of my purchases :)

what EBC u running? try adjusting the settings so it doesn't ramp on as hard.

did that with mine and it only breaks very little traction so the power is very usable in the dry.

running same sized tyres but with achilles ART sport.

PowerFC boost control kit. It's basically an HKS EVC without the fancy screen. Adjusting so it doesn't ramp on hard may fix my traction issues, but I think it is also the nature of the turbo...it comes on quite early and when it does, boost climbs real fast. If I can just find a way to foster it (e.g. more grip), then that should translate to a faster car than trying to tame it (playing with boost etc.).

• Like 1

The bit that puzzles me is that a year ago everyone was saying " we want a turbo that looks stock and produces a responsive 250kws"..now stao has busted his nut building exactly that and there seems to be a bunch of people complaining its not making enough power when it's making exactly what was asked for..

And to those who keep saying " oh but stao made....power"

He has probably spent more just on tuning than we have on our cars

Stop trying to squeeze blood out of a snail people...

lol well yeah that's it isn't it, look how far we've come from the turbo upgrades of yesteryear. A few years ago they would have killed for responsive high flows that put out the numbers we're seeing. Now with HG and Kando you've got some cheaper and, dare I say it, better alternatives to the old "get a GCG highflow" or "get a Garrett 3071/3076" solutions for chasing power.

I think it will be very interesting to see what, if anything, Stao can do to improve the Kando turbos.

Ok so you three are running an atr43 ss1pu or similar hybrid turbo. I'm running an atr43 ss1. How does the pu change the turbo?

Edit. What boost control are each of you running, I need to get one but undecided what one.

Edited by lilcrash

lol well yeah that's it isn't it, look how far we've come from the turbo upgrades of yesteryear. A few years ago they would have killed for responsive high flows that put out the numbers we're seeing. Now with HG and Kando you've got some cheaper and, dare I say it, better alternatives to the old "get a GCG highflow" or "get a Garrett 3071/3076" solutions for chasing power.

I think it will be very interesting to see what, if anything, Stao can do to improve the Kando turbos.

agreed, if he pulls off the sl2-20 int gate, it will be a hot product!

From memory anything with PU indicates a larger hotside. So its probably got a bigger rear housing and possibly a larger rear wheel.

Stao can clarify.

Yes from memory the PU is a bored out rear housing with a larger rear wheel. Your result looks about right if yours is the non-PU model. Despite ~25kw less, it looks a bit more responsive than mine or Kasko's.

WTF is with all you nuffers using electronic boost controllers having MORE boost drop than myself using nothing?

On internally gated turbos EBC's don't do much, it's more about the actuator. When I had my old internally gated HG, I never even used mine, just switched it off. Can mess around with the gain setting and all that, but the turbo worked well off the spring so I didn't bother.

Externally gated, different story.

EBC do help abit. because it can cut out all pressure on the cold side to the actuator which MBC don't. still need a strong actuator to eliminate boost drop thou, but I'm working at a different direction at moment.