SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Seems pretty on par with kaskos result, but yours doesn't seem to have the boost control issue. Is your actuator a 14or 20 psi one?

Edit: just read your running 16psi so it obviously isn't a 20 psi actuator

Edited by Mitcho_7

Lol thats a pretty awsome result there birds, Looks so stock. I too would be worried about the rubber intake sucking shut though, with all that extra suction its creating now. At what psi is it getting 16psi?

You mean at what RPM is it getting 16psi, lol? My tacho is retarded (read: not actually working) at the moment, so it's hard to tell. I'll have to get someone to sit in car with me and read RPM off the hand controller...will report back. It's nice and early though!

Speaking of things that actually happen, that reminds me; Birds didn't you say RP were making you a custom intake pipe???

As above, they've used a metal spring setup to keep the rubber hose open. They were going to make me a 3" metal pipe, but Chris wanted to save me some money and didn't feel it necessary for this boost/power level...guess he was right. Can always do it down the track for the E-flex tune.

Seems pretty on par with kaskos result, but yours doesn't seem to have the boost control issue. Is your actuator a 14or 20 psi one?

Not sure what actuator I have, probably a 14psi. It was preloaded to around 18-20psi, so they removed the preload and let the EBC do it's work to hold 16psi. To be fair, Kasko runs 20psi which drops off to around 16psi from memory...mine can't really drop off when it's already at 16psi.

As above, they've used a metal spring setup to keep the rubber hose open. They were going to make me a 3" metal pipe, but Chris wanted to save me some money and didn't feel it necessary for this boost/power level...guess he was right. Can always do it down the track for the E-flex tune.

Fair enough, good to see you've got a workshop that is interested in the customers benefit, not just their own. They aren't all like that down.gif

By the way, while said friend is reading your RPM off the hand controller, you should probably get them to take some videos thumbsup.gif

Happy to do vids, it'd probably be better visually when my tacho is working though lol. I also have to sort out some...er...traction issues :)

I'm very happy with how RP handled themselves, spotting things like the differences between the injectors I supplied them etc. I've heard of wallet rapings but I came out alright and you know your car is in good hands.

Little Cut that your making more power using less boost

Anyone got any ideas on why this would be?

My specs are in my sig

You are both on 16psi aren't you? Comparing your graphs, I'd say you are making a fair bit more mid-range with 20psi through there, if you can get it to hold that boost then you'd get a bit more on top.

Kasko remember most dyno's read differently. Its like comparing apples and oranges. Simple things like dyno temp corrections etc can give different results, different tyres etc

True true

Nah hanaldo I run 20 tapering off to around 17 if I remember correctly Jez ?

The tapering isn't a huge deal I guess because I didn't really like the idea of pushing 20 through my stock engine all the time anyways

I spend a lot of time driving off boost as well as its my daily.

So let's hope the engine holds up for a while

Little Cut that your making more power using less boost

Anyone got any ideas on why this would be?

My specs are in my sig

Too many variables man. Put your car on the RP dyno and it could make more power than mine did...

Either way, we're both top ending at around 16psi and making similar power with similar mods, so I wouldn't be cut about it. I wanted 20psi in the midrange too, but Chris said my engine was pinging a bit much for his liking so he turned it down. Get on E-flex like I plan to and you'll be laughing :)

True true

Nah hanaldo I run 20 tapering off to around 17 if I remember correctly Jez ?

The tapering isn't a huge deal I guess because I didn't really like the idea of pushing 20 through my stock engine all the time anyways

I spend a lot of time driving off boost as well as its my daily.

So let's hope the engine holds up for a while

You'll be fine, engine will love it thumbsup.gif

You also mentioned your power was a little limited by ping? That may be something to look at if that's the case, what is causing it to ping?

dude - after a small retune with less timing he said he made 252.4rwkw at 16psi

you made 2kw less on a different type of dyno, in a workshop in a different state using a different turbo

lol.. why on earth would you be cut?

only thing you need to do is try to get it holding boost.

Birds turbo could be seen as a BASE figure for that hybrid turbo he had made.

Comparing the 2 is not even apples and oranges, it's like apples and box of paper clips.

Birds did they push more pressure through it? Or just the 16PSI?

555c's should have heaps of head room 18-20PSI.

I imagine 16 is where you wanted it for the road, but 18-19 would have been nice to see. Or does the snail run out of puff?

Cmon, you should know the answer to this John..

The problem with running stock housings is they superheat the air, the more air you try to shove though them the hotter it gets the hotter it gets the less power it makes..

You could pump more into it but it wouldnt be safe and wouldnt give a realistic figure of how much power it is actually making..hence the need for e85 to help keep it cool...Which should work well...ish..

Either way its a pretty good figure though for what it is and the boost it is running,

I bet it feels pretty damn nice to drive as is too, but I think if you keep on the gas to long it will heat up quickly and then it becomes inefficient..

I know mine used to...If hes only gunna do quick sprints here n there it shouldnt matter too much though

Birds did they push more pressure through it? Or just the 16PSI?

555c's should have heaps of head room 18-20PSI.

I imagine 16 is where you wanted it for the road, but 18-19 would have been nice to see. Or does the snail run out of puff?

The injectors are nowhere near their limits for duty. Artz hit the nail on the head IMO...the intake charge probably gets too hot with the Nissan comp cover. I mean, we are pushing ~260rwkw through the comp cover of a turbo that people normally max out at ~230rwkw. There are probably other "standard looking" or legal things in my setup, keeping it warm too. But frankly, I expected to be much more down on power with the choices I'd made, so I'm happy with 16psi. I want 20psi, but I want a standard look more :)

As Kasko and others have shown, the SS1PU is capable of at least 20psi in the midrange...not sure about the top end capabilities yet, boost seems to taper off...but it is only a small turbo and definitely designed for midrange power. On E-flex we'll have more room to move in the timing and fuel departments...hopefully with that I can demand more from the Nissan comp cover.