SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I will get that all checked once I get this line sorted

Going to buy a blow torch of some sort today and fingers crossed it will turn the pipe to butter so I can bend this curve out

*EDIT*

Just got some info off the ACT guys and one of them has cut the copper line and used some insulated hose with a few clamps on it to get it in the correct place.

The line runs 15psi so this should hold up.

Anyone done this and had trouble or not had trouble?

I have cut mine and connected some silicon hose with heat tube around that. Works fine.

Cut near the banjo, silicon runs around the head to the barb on the plenum. There are three hose clamps on the banjo end, silicon hose is

on there 40mm. There is no barb, so interference fit with many hose clamps, tracked twice now. Its fine.

Make sure you cut it with a dremel or something that will cut it flat.

If I just cut a section out so I don't have to run it to the plenum it should be fine?

I was thinking of cutting it close to the banjo and then close to where it just starts to wrap around the engine.

This way I don't have to stress about getting in behind the engine.

post-87584-0-25670500-1332192982_thumb.jpg

Rubbish, that's all in the tune not the hardware. My mechanic builds 500hp+ RB motors regularly and always gets them engineered, they pass the emissions tests no problems.

Is that a full IM240 test? or just an idle emissions test? If the former then who is his tuner?

Yeah which is why I questioned it, and if it wasn't a full IM240 test then it hasn't really been engineered, they have just done a dodgy and put it through with either a stock turbo or a stock looking turbo so it doesn't get questioned.

We don't have the IM240 test over here, standard 5 gas analyzer test. The cars go over with all mods in place, he doesn't fit different turbos or anything like that.

I am aware it is no IM240 test, I just forgot that you guys have that over there.

I will get that all checked once I get this line sorted

Going to buy a blow torch of some sort today and fingers crossed it will turn the pipe to butter so I can bend this curve out

*EDIT*

Just got some info off the ACT guys and one of them has cut the copper line and used some insulated hose with a few clamps on it to get it in the correct place.

The line runs 15psi so this should hold up.

Anyone done this and had trouble or not had trouble?

I have done it before. Cut it off near cyl 5 exhaust port. Then i run it from there to a fitting on the turbo

We don't have the IM240 test over here, standard 5 gas analyzer test. The cars go over with all mods in place, he doesn't fit different turbos or anything like that.

I am aware it is no IM240 test, I just forgot that you guys have that over there.

After some reading I've seen that in some states the IM240 has been classed as flawed and not required due to a limited number of testing stations. Couldn't find much clarification on what IS required in place of it now though.

Interesting.

edit: like you said the 5-gas test is all that is required now, at least in WA that is the case, I am unsure of other states.

Edited by Rolls

After some reading I've seen that in some states the IM240 has been classed as flawed and not required due to a limited number of testing stations. Couldn't find much clarification on what IS required in place of it now though.

Interesting.

edit: like you said the 5-gas test is all that is required now, at least in WA that is the case, I am unsure of other states.

Yes, there was a whole debacle here about the IM240 test only being run by one workshop, and because they had the monopoly it was costing people who required the test well over 3 grand to get it done. And funnily enough, every car failed until you bought one of this workshops magic catalytic converters for $600, then all of a sudden everything was perfect down.gif

I'm sure it will be brought back in as soon as there are more workshops setup to do the test though, it's only a matter of time.

I have done it before. Cut it off near cyl 5 exhaust port. Then i run it from there to a fitting on the turbo

This is perfectly fine?

They are going attach a barbed fitting to the banjo for me.

Then I can run a hose from there to where I cut the copper pipe.

I will be using some heat proof stuff over the hose so it should be fine.

Just don't want it to melt while im driving

Keep it low and away from the rear housing. I normally tweak the pipe as it comes around the back of the head so its low and closish to the block, then bring it up into the banjo

Okay will do it should be fine then I think I will keep as much copper pipe as I can.

Just bend that as close and low as possible then have as close to a straight bit of hose coming off the banjo as possible.

Hope this works because I already put in my time off for Friday Jez and I cant wait any longer haha

So here is the latest from the tuner, I have not driven it since ill be picking it up in the morning.

-Wastegate was not opening due to not being able to move freely in its bush, it was jammed up, this is a problem with the turbo itself

-They pulled the dump pipe and moved the flap back and forth by hand which freed it up

-Original wastegate actuator seemed sticky, not opening and closing freely as mentioned before. Changed to new 15psi actuator-Its now running 17psi max, reaches this around 3400 rpm

-Makes power much more easily and freely due to the wastegate fix, power curve has moved to earlier in rev range

-Makes 10rwkw more, now 251 kw at 6500rpm whereas before it made 242 at 6900rpm

Im still using the 595 RSR tyres since I could not get a hold of a set of normal tyres to try with, and this dyno is definitely not a high reading one so im sure with usual tyres and another dyno it could read 260rwkw.. I guess its not too far off what I expected.

Car is also running cooler due to some cooling system maintenance stuff that was done, shouldnt see the temps go up as much anymore.

I will upload dyno graphs and what its like to drive after I pick up the car tomorrow. All in all, the car makes more power on lower boost, more easily, without the turbo heating up like crazy due to the faulty wastegate flap and runs cooler so cant complain ;)

Update.

So within one week I found the following issues:

-The plastic pipe inside the air con drain pipe has melted nearly shut so it now leaks into the cabin

-I heat wrapped the dump now so hopefully doesnt get worse and will somehow repair the air con drain hole

-It started missing between 4500 and 5000rpm and the miss has gotten worse

Driving wise..

Took it for a 300km solid run of open/tight twisties and found the following:

-Water temp now gets near 100 degrees where before it would get to mid-high 80s max on the same road

-The turbo is getting crazy hot, not sure if its normal but after a decent run and then letting the car cool for at least 5 mins (cruising at say 80-100km/h) i popped the bonnet and the entire exhaust side of the engine was glowing since the turbo was glowing so bright. The dump pipe was not glowing so im assuming the exhaust wasnt getting very hot which indicates to me it wasnt being restrictive.. but I have never seen a turbo glow that bright. Even all the turbo bolts and studs were glowing!

-The car was pinging now and then

-Even with the new power, my chassis setup can easily handle it, you can still wring the car out pretty hard even with 240+rwkw and it feels like more power would be better ;)

Troubleshooting (the actuator failed!)

So.... dropped it back to the tuner today to get it re tuned with the lower pressure actuator, and he found that the actuator that the ss1pu came with had already failed. It was getting randomly jammed open/shut hence the car was sometimes running too much boost when it shouldnt. This would explain the random pinging.

He also found that the wastegate flap seems to be fouling or is jammed since it can only open about 5mm and said this is not normal. He has removed the dump pipe to investigate.

My g3 had the wastegate flapper stick, but only due to postal staff packing it back into the box badly after deciding to check the contents. This caused it to be damaged in transit

domokun.gif