SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Just after the elbow is fine, you just want the actuator reference signal as short as possible (i.e. not on other side of the cooler) to prevent any overboosting or lazy signal issues.

My new setup will have a peak recall boost gauge plumbed in with the actuator reference signal (so I have pre cooler readout) and a normal boost gauge + EBC signal (EBC has peak recall) at the plenum. This will then show me any pressure losses and help troubleshoot issues :)

Thats actually a really good idea!

Thanks for the info I am going hunting this afternoon for some gaskets and silicone hoses

In that case you could very easily go to a mech engineer and get them to sign off on it if it is a non structural part of the vehicle. There is ZERO issue with cutting into non structural parts.

Makes no sense to me.

I thought every part of the engine bay was a structural part of the vehicle? Besides this, engineers certificate means SFA in Vic...people have been known to carry them in their gloveboxes and still get dicked for things. I don't know how that works, but even if it's legit the police will make you go to the pits for it, to get it signed off there...which is a right pain in the ass, even if you are all legit.

Hell if they think your exhaust is too loud (even if they don't think it is) and report you to the EPA, you pay for your vehicle to be noise tested and take the time out to get it done. No recourse if you were in the right! Even if there is recourse, you take more time out to chase up your $40 = not worth it. In Melbourne we've learnt to do everything we can just to avoid questions about an item in the first place. Last time I got defected the police told me it was good that my cooler didn't take a shortcut through the chassis - if it costs me 20rwkw I don't care, that power can be made elsewhere, he stopped looking for things after he realised my attempts to be legal :)

tl;dr don't come to Melbourne

well im glad that i have one if they sell for that

i could prob sell it cut a hole get it engineered and still have change left over hahaha

that's what they sell for new mate..

not second hand.

I'm happy to sell my ARC kit if someone wants to pay over $600 for it.

uses stock piping down to where the stock cooler is.

would fit both R32 and R33 gtst

I thought every part of the engine bay was a structural part of the vehicle?

No why would it be? Perhaps structural integrity was a better description.

Besides this, engineers certificate means SFA in Vic...people have been known to carry them in their gloveboxes and still get dicked for things. I don't know how that works, but even if it's legit the police will make you go to the pits for it, to get it signed off there...which is a right pain in the ass, even if you are all legit.

Hell if they think your exhaust is too loud (even if they don't think it is) and report you to the EPA, you pay for your vehicle to be noise tested and take the time out to get it done. No recourse if you were in the right! Even if there is recourse, you take more time out to chase up your $40 = not worth it. In Melbourne we've learnt to do everything we can just to avoid questions about an item in the first place. Last time I got defected the police told me it was good that my cooler didn't take a shortcut through the chassis - if it costs me 20rwkw I don't care, that power can be made elsewhere, he stopped looking for things after he realised my attempts to be legal :)

It doesn't mean SFA, cops can still dick you regardless but if you pass with flying colours you can take them to court for harassment and get your money back. Sure it might not be worth doing but if you legitimately aren't doing anything wrong and your car passes a full roadworthy without issue after cops sending you then there is a possibility for recourse, it has been done before.

It also shows you are attempting to do things properly, this is appreciated by police and earns you some respect if pulled over. It is an expensive hobby driving a modified vehicle but it isn't pointless to get certs.

Make an "application to modify vehicle" and put hole in the engine bay and describe where it is, take a picture even, if it is obvious is isn't going to affect structural integrity then there should be no issue. I've been through full roadworthies in SA with a hole cut there, I am unaware of any VIC specific law that says you can't do it.

Because the engine bay is part of the crumple zone and when you go drilling 80mm holes in any part of it, you are technically playing with it no matter how insignificant the change may be. That's the major argument the authorities put forward.

Yeah you could appeal it in court, take a day off to go chase your <$200 costs (and good luck getting any compensation for taking a day off work to do this) and get your vehicle cleared. But really, who could be fucked? Those who have actually done this and succeeded have come out with an expensive and belated sense of accomplishment that usually precedes regret for having bothered in the first place. The appeal system is based on making things not worth chasing up and the revenue raising fines/costs are built around exploiting. You'll get sick of "every man having his day in court" after the 3rd or 4th cop says "this isn't right". You really have to drive an import in Melbourne to know how bad the situation can be with the police. Not all of them know the law, but they all seem to be very familiar with what they can do at their discretion.

So assuming you actually can get a cert for the hole you drill, you get the cert and have a chance of getting off...or you just get a return flow and leave no grey areas for them to question you on...

I got pulled over and defected between xmas and new years and was reported to epa.

The I was talking to 1 of my mates that runs a aircon shop and his brother inlaw has started with the vic police.

The first week that he went out with the highway patrol the copper training him said the the first rule of being hiway patrol is that "we pull over every skyline we see and report them or defect cause we fkn hate them."

Nice to know that the cops are out there to get bad guys..

Just thought I would add that.

Because the engine bay is part of the crumple zone and when you go drilling 80mm holes in any part of it, you are technically playing with it no matter how insignificant the change may be. That's the major argument the authorities put forward.

No really it is not part of the crumple zone and has nothing to do with structural integrity, go ask any mechanical engineer, if you drill into certain areas then yes you are f**ked but providing it plays no part eg the battery mount there is no issue. I'm an engineer myself and have discussed this with others. If It isn't load bearing and isn't an integral part of any crumple zone designed to transfer force, also providing isn't a hazard to a pedestrian if you run one over any certified mech engineer on the register can and will sign off on this.

It isn't just some bs signature with no weight behind it, it is the same as a civil engineer signing off on a bridge saying it is structurally sound and meets the various Australian guidelines for whatever type of construction it is, in this case the appropriate ADRs, for a court to overall this they would need a more qualified engineer to essentially prove their analysis at fault which no one is ever going to bother to do.

I got pulled over and defected between xmas and new years and was reported to epa.

The I was talking to 1 of my mates that runs a aircon shop and his brother inlaw has started with the vic police.

The first week that he went out with the highway patrol the copper training him said the the first rule of being hiway patrol is that "we pull over every skyline we see and report them or defect cause we fkn hate them."

Nice to know that the cops are out there to get bad guys..

Just thought I would add that.

Like most fourth hand stories Chinese whispers usually plays a big part and changes the way it is worded.

Edited by Rolls

well im glad that i have one if they sell for that

i could prob sell it cut a hole get it engineered and still have change left over hahaha

that's what they sell for new mate..

not second hand.

I'm happy to sell my ARC kit if someone wants to pay over $600 for it.

uses stock piping down to where the stock cooler is.

would fit both R32 and R33 gtst

In red, yes.

Otherwise, every heard the song that goes 'he's got hiiiiighhh hopes, he's got high in the skyyyy.....' LOL

In all seriousness, if it was a near new kit it might fetch 600 if it was a 1-2000 kit new. Condition and new price really pay a major factor, id certainly not pay 600 for a used ARC kit unless it was worth double that new AND was still in excellent condition. Just putting it out there.

I'm not saying the engineers cert has no weight when it comes down to it, I'm sure it would hold up in court. It all comes back to my final point though...who wants it to get that far when you can pay a little more for a quality return flow setup, that we're not even certain will rob you of power until you're looking at serious power (300rwkw+)?

Interstaters really have no idea how bad it is, no experienced import owner in Melbourne would be surprised by what kikka just said. I've had police tell me that if it's got four round lights, then it gets pulled over, because there's almost always something they can defect on it. The last time I got defected, the officer was telling me what was wrong with the last 4-5 Skylines he had pulled over that day. Mind you, he had gone through 4 red lights to pull me over for a bonnet pop...I hadn't been speeding or anything. He then pulled over my friend 2 hours later in a neighbouring suburb and defected him. We have an officer who made a name for himself and his station amongst the import community because of his over-zealous (understatement) approach to defecting imports for anything and everything...ask any Victorian import owner who Pettet is. Yes, it really is that bad.

Birds' point

Rolls' head.

Blitz return flow will be fine for the vast majority on here, if you're making much more than this, you're likely to have bigger issues than a hole in your chassis (high mount turbos, tyre bills etc)

Arc before they stopped making the kits for r33s where 3200 when I got my 33 from Japan I've seen a few now and then on eBay sell for 1k minimum there was a few guys on skyline owners forum who sold for 1100 from memory

I went through the dyno sheet section and seems no one's making big power out of return flow coolers either, the highest 286rwkws from DVSJES is only because of E85 feed with aftermarket manifold and gate.

How ever cutting wholes in chassis in Vic is defectable, don't go to Vic road appointed engineers they will end up making you going through VIV. So performance and road legal needs to be weighted. But I'm getting a set of plazaman return flows and will post some feedbacks on that.

most tuners have said the ARC ones will easily handle over 300rwkw one tuner had a hks 3037s with 5 different return flows and the ARC had no issues with higher temps or pressure drops and made excess of 350rwkw on e85 and 309on bp98

every one ive spoke to without a doubt ARC is one of if not the best return flow cooler and will have no troubles holding most power a rb25 can throw at it

I will be putting this to the test soon. I am building an R34 at the moment with an ARC turn flow intercooler. Hoping for north of 300rwkw's.

most tuners have said the ARC ones will easily handle over 300rwkw one tuner had a hks 3037s with 5 different return flows and the ARC had no issues with higher temps or pressure drops and made excess of 350rwkw on e85 and 309on bp98

every one ive spoke to without a doubt ARC is one of if not the best return flow cooler and will have no troubles holding most power a rb25 can throw at it

a guy i emailed at plazaman said his return flows would make over 300 but he suggested to make some new cooler piping from inside the engine bay

i have all my 300+rwkw goodies all bolted on just waiting for a few bolts n lines for my gt3076 and ill go get a tune i will be happy with 280-300rwkw with just a tad under 20psi :)

In regards to the coolers Ive been using a jjr return flow one on my 300kw e85 tune and ive never had heat soak issues on the dyno back to back runs will pull same power consistently only time Ive experienced heat soak was when drifting continously for 20min or longer on a 39 degree day.