SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Turbo actually acts like a massive muffler, can really hear the difference in exhaust note when changing to a big rear housing turbo. Really takes all the crackling and rasp out of the note, is why NA cars always sound like ass in comparison.

Turbo actually acts like a massive muffler, can really hear the difference in exhaust note when changing to a big rear housing turbo. Really takes all the crackling and rasp out of the note, is why NA cars always sound like ass in comparison.

not sure bout that, mine has become alot more raspy and crackly with a bigger turbo and exhaust, but agree NA's sound very weak and crap in comparison

Thanks for all the info

What I'm thinking is I will just go the safest possible way and take the actuator off and just baby it up there should be fine.

Then I can smack the fuel rail in and plug the ecu in while I'm with DVS.

As I said I'm going to wire up a plug that my stock AFM and the Z32 can plug into and be interchangeable easily

Raspy and crackly is awesome. Drop the cat and listen how disgusting it sounds haha.

As if! I'd say it sounds awesome! haha

I went for a short drive with nothing but dump+front pipe+cat converter. Sounded great. Pissed people off nicely.

(don't try this yourself haha, you're risking a defect with a noise pollution fine on top)

Thanks for all the info

What I'm thinking is I will just go the safest possible way and take the actuator off and just baby it up there should be fine.

Then I can smack the fuel rail in and plug the ecu in while I'm with DVS.

As I said I'm going to wire up a plug that my stock AFM and the Z32 can plug into and be interchangeable easily

just get the guy in the chopper to drive it, lol, looks like he knows what to do!!:rofl2:looks like a chopper ,

Edited by SliverS2

not sure bout that, mine has become alot more raspy and crackly with a bigger turbo and exhaust, but agree NA's sound very weak and crap in comparison

That is what I mean, the bigger turbo doesn't muffle as well.

Anyone else noticed how much quieter an atr43 ss1 is with a pod instead of the airbox. I can barely hear my turbo anymore.

Edited by lilcrash

That's how it sounds so far. But keep in mind that I'm not pushing it into boost yet, but when I first got the atr running it was LOUD!!!!

Haven't heard back yet :/

Edit. All clear. Nothing dangerous in there :)

Edited by lilcrash

My old evo was much louder with an airbox than it was with a large surface pod.

The airbox had a trumpet looking snout on the front of it lol

SS1PU highflow...installed! Now looking for a tuner to finish the job, but thought I'd post in here my untuned first impressions, because they really took me by surprise. Prior to the turbo swap, my R33 GTS-T was making an untuned 170rwkw on standard boost (7psi), with only a 3 inch turbo back and Blitz FMIC, so fairly healthy for an RB25. I had Stao make me up an SS1PU, shoehorned into the R33/R34 comp housing for a stock looking appearance.

Wow...this turbo has totally transformed my car for the better and it's not even tuned yet. I expected the engine to be running fairly average until tuned, I was even hesitant about getting on boost...but I baby stepped my way to the standard 7psi...and am in love with the car again. It makes me think there was something wrong with my existing turbo/actuator or that my broken manifold studs were giving me an exhaust leak.

- Exhaust note is deeper and louder (sounds great), which corresponds with what Rolls was saying about a turbo acting like a muffler

- Turbo spools deeper and quieter than the factory item (I have a pod too, lilcrash), at least until ~7psi where it makes lovely sounds

- Lag...what lag? This thing has maybe 200rpm less response than the standard turbo, which has actually made it more street friendly

- Once it starts making boost, it shoots up very quick...I had to watch the gauge carefully to avoid R&R...I can see solid midrange potential here

It always scared me, the thought of upgrading my turbo and losing too much of the factory response / daily drivability. If you have these concerns, get this turbo. What little response I have lost, translates to a better daily drive all round. I find Skylines to be tortoise or hare cars, where you either get overtaken by a Hyundai while trying to drive off boost, or try to go anywhere faster and you sound like you're trying to race everyone. Now the car moves along in the traffic quickly and effortlessly, but still has it's super fast mode for when you do actually want to race.

If this thing delivers the top end that it's supposed to, after being tuned, I have no doubts this is the best value turbo upgrade for an RB25. It's already been a worthwhile swap!

I had Stao make me up an SS1PU, shoehorned into the R33/R34 comp housing for a stock looking appearance.

- Lag...what lag? This thing has maybe 200rpm less response than the standard turbo, which has actually made it more street friendly

It always scared me, the thought of upgrading my turbo and losing too much of the factory response / daily drivability.

Good to hear you got it fitted.

Wouldnt using the stock comp housing make this different to the actual SS1PU?

If we are to directly compare this turbo is definitely more laggy and not as responsive as stock below 3000rpm (not that i personally care about stock drivability) However - I must say because the way it sounds, spools etc imo it feels nicer than the stocker at those low rpms and is still very drivable

Yes Stao did warn me that I might be down on top end power due to the Nissan housing, but I guess we'll see once tuned. They are very similar in size so it wouldn't surprise me if they perform similarly. This was a necessary sacrifice as I wanted something very stock looking and my new turbo looks like it's been on the car for all 16 years of it's life :D

Still, the rear housing and core is all ATR43 SS1PU with FNT, so the response shouldn't be too different between mine and the regular SS1PU. I take it you're running an SS1PU, siks? My tacho wiggles all over the place at the moment, so I can't accurately tell you how laggy it is, but it's not that far off stock just going by the speeds at which boost comes on. Regardless, very happy with how early it is.

Wow...this turbo has totally transformed my car for the better and it's not even tuned yet. I expected the engine to be running fairly average until tuned, I was even hesitant about getting on boost...but I baby stepped my way to the standard 7psi...and am in love with the car again. It makes me think there was something wrong with my existing turbo/actuator or that my broken manifold studs were giving me an exhaust leak.

7psi on stock turbo doesn't = 7psi on this turbo which is why it feels so much better. it is pumping a lot more air.

found the same thing with my gcg highflow, tiny bit of lag but massive increase in midrange torque made it almost feel more responsive!

Edited by Rolls