SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Result for my SS1 PU are in:

Overall its not bad but not the best

-Peak power 244kw

-Makes about 200kw at 4000rpm (good, expected)

-Boost goes from 21psi in midrange to 17psi in top end

-Tuner reckons something is holding it back since its doesnt make that power in the top end easily however he is not sure what it is

-Tuner reckons that it comes on too hard with the current actuator so they had to massively reduce timing (which he is not happy with) so it would not ping in the mid range

-If they use the EBC at all there is too much boost low down so they are not using it

-If it had a lower pressure actuator he thinks they could run lower boost and more timing down low, then higher boost up top and more peak power

I will pick it up tomorrow morning, tuner had not yet driven it when i spoke to him.

He thinks it will feel very fast and pull hard so it may not be worth chasing more top end.

You're pushing 21psi into an RB25 and only hitting 244kw? Something doesn't seem right there.

I know boost doesn't relate directly to power, but tons of cars are making way more than that with that kinda boost.

And how does one have too much boost down low?

You're pushing 21psi into an RB25 and only hitting 244kw? Something doesn't seem right there.

I know boost doesn't relate directly to power, but tons of cars are making way more than that with that kinda boost.

And how does one have too much boost down low?

Boost has nothing to do with power, airflow has everything to do with power. If I put a straw as the intake on a car and hook a hair dryer up to it I bet I could generate about 30psi but the car wouldn't even idle. See what I mean?

Too much boost down low means very very high combustion pressures which can cause detonation. More torque = more chance of detonation and detonation is bad.

Boost has nothing to do with power, airflow has everything to do with power. If I put a straw as the intake on a car and hook a hair dryer up to it I bet I could generate about 30psi but the car wouldn't even idle. See what I mean?

Too much boost down low means very very high combustion pressures which can cause detonation. More torque = more chance of detonation and detonation is bad.

Yeah, but is he blowing a hair dryer down a straw? No, he's using a turbo which many others have used before him and made substantially more power than he is.

My point stands. That turbo on that engine should make a solid 20kw+ more than he's getting at that boost level (even dropping off to 17psi).

How many others have had issues with too much boost down low? I may have seen one or two but generally everyone is chasing boost coming on earlier. Sure, you don't want it banging from 5 to 20 PSI between 2500 and 2800rpm, but too much boost down low again suggests there are other issues at play, which again is my point.

Do a run without the cat. Letely i have not yet found a cat that performs to my expectations. Last night was an R33 knock limited at 188kw, dropped/gutted the cat and made 202kw safely.

Tonight was an s13 188kw 23psi. Then dropped/gutted cat and tuned to 234kw on 21psi.

NB: both these cars are race only so catalytic converters are not needed.

I do not recommend running no cat on the road as its ILLEGAL :D i dont do anything illegal

I'd like to see a graph...15-20rwkw isn't difficult to find if there's an underlying issue for it, of which there could be many. The age and wear of your engine alone means you may not be guaranteed the 260-270rwkw that a healthier engine could produce.

Do you have a baseline figure sik, i.e. a dyno run before turbo upgrade? If so, at what PSI? Are you running a 3" metal intake?

On the ss1pu it has a big turbine housing, understanding the turbo would be pushing 20psi at 3300RPMs, then the waste gate opens, that compressor is not big enough to max out the turbine wheel and waste gate at that point and knock, unless if its on a much bigger engine.

I probably check the injectors, intake pipe (make sure its metal 3 inch), cooler, and drop the exhaust for few more runs, also check the ss1PU's timing table for mapping. Was the rubber gasket replaced with a metal gasket or another rubber one?

So far we got:

280rwkws peak 22psi

260rwkws peak 19psi

253rwkws peak 17psi

and this one is

244rwkws peak 21psi

Probably a dumb question, but here goes. Do WA tuners use the same ramp rates as tuners over east? My understanding is ramp rates effect the power reading , AKA a happy dyno.

DVS Jez, luckily we all use nice eco/police-friendly catalyct converters eh? :whistling:

9-sec ramp rate is the norm. Some may use a 12-sec for whatever reason, but I'd just ask Mick what he used for your run, my bet is 9-sec same as Trent.

Don't think we are going to find answers there man :(

Do a run without the cat. Letely i have not yet found a cat that performs to my expectations. Last night was an R33 knock limited at 188kw, dropped/gutted the cat and made 202kw safely.

Tonight was an s13 188kw 23psi. Then dropped/gutted cat and tuned to 234kw on 21psi.

NB: both these cars are race only so catalytic converters are not needed.

I do not recommend running no cat on the road as its ILLEGAL :D i dont do anything illegal

Haha that's right my 32 had a cat on it a decat looking one. What turbo was on the s13?

I got the ss2, made 246rwkw on 19psi. My intake pipe was 3 in metal at the turbo to the stock rubber pipe to the afm. Since that tune and run I have more been using a full 3 inch metal pipe and had to pull timing out my self on high boost due to pinging. Even after pulling out timing I feel no change in power. I yanked out about 4 to 5 degrees in some areas. JEZ I'll be visiting you soon.

Probably a dumb question, but here goes. Do WA tuners use the same ramp rates as tuners over east? My understanding is ramp rates effect the power reading , AKA a happy dyno.

i went through all my sheets recently and was suprised to see all 8 or so tunes at xspeed were done at 15 sec.

Stao- im all cashed up and need to know if the SS2 is on the table or your still not interested in producing these?

Edited by t_revz

I'm awaiting to see few more results from all 6 of those made before making a decision as this turbo performed above expectation on the test car, which can be either good or bad. So far I've got:

325rwkws peak 23psi

307rwkws peak 22psi externally gated

265rwkws peak 18psi Auto

Can every one please post up prints of their timing map for their atr43 series turbocharger. That would help us determine which tuner might be better to go for as well as how power and response responded refer to different tunes.

Yeah, but is he blowing a hair dryer down a straw? No, he's using a turbo which many others have used before him and made substantially more power than he is.

My point stands. That turbo on that engine should make a solid 20kw+ more than he's getting at that boost level (even dropping off to 17psi).

How many others have had issues with too much boost down low? I may have seen one or two but generally everyone is chasing boost coming on earlier. Sure, you don't want it banging from 5 to 20 PSI between 2500 and 2800rpm, but too much boost down low again suggests there are other issues at play, which again is my point.

Maybe not hypergear, but the GCG hiflows with a 21U housing with a auto trans come on way to early and surge like a motherf**ker..

cheers

darren