SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

We are talking about the bellmouth JJR dump pipe, not the split type. My bellmouth JJR dump pipe did the same thing. It only lets a bit of water on to the passengers feet when the a/c is running.

Splits can be shit and ill-fitting with the standard turbo let alone a rear one. Plenty of stories of wastegates getting jammed shut...happened to me and destroyed my actuator :(

Edit: just realised you're talking about external difference...in which case, the split is more intrusive thanks to the extra pipe, where as bellmouths do curve straight off at nearly 90 degrees / go straight down.

Been busy working on one very one's jobs. This is a little update on a prototype which converts a standard bush bearing ATR43G3 FNT turbo on ceramic rollers. Took it for a thrash on 20psi its noticeably more responsive in lower gears and made power delivery even more linear. How ever I don't think thats enough to shown a difference on the dyno. Will post some results once tuned.

Finally got the hobby turbo tuned today. made 302rwkws just touching 20psi internally gated on pump 98 fuel. Referring to dyno reading it made about 200rpms of difference in response, I'm pretty happy with its out come.

Video:

power.jpg

boost.jpg

The G3 is a larger frame turbo, bigger wheels and bigger housings... So it is naturally laggier or lazier to drive.

Stao is implementing new technology to the G3 to improve its response, this is a good idea as the G3 is the most proven of all his products and has the least constraints in terms of outright flow or housing restrictions.

I like neck snapping wheel spin.

Nice result Tao

Hahaha yeah but you're a drifter :P

For a street car just spinning your wheels at the wrong time can mean confiscation of your car for a month I think it is now.

Hey guys

I'm working on a 250kw RB25 setup

Tossing up between the ss1pu or the ss1.5

It's going to be a street car and I want something that pushes you back in your seat and makes you hold on

Makes power early and can hold 250

Read the charts with the differences between the 2 and saw the 1.5 made better numbers on lower boost so I guess this would be the way to go?

What's the difference in the 2 other then the $250 price difference?

Thats a nice graph Stao, but I dont understand, - what is the difference between the new G3 and the SS2, both have almost identical response and peak power approx 300rwkws???

Well I enjoy design and building some complicated turbos or forced induction parts. This turbo its a hobby thing, the importance is making a difference, and it is very difficult to make possitive differences, pretty happy with the out come, So this technology is available in building SS2 or SS1PU turbos when needed.

The SS1PU is a better turbo then the SS1.5, which I will remove that off the listing.

Are the ceramic rollers an expensive modification to make? I imagine it is.

Very very nice performance though, I'd be interested in seeing the same design with the curve shifted left 500rpm so that it makes ~270-280kw but with full torque from 3500rpm to ~7k

Is this something you envision is possible to do ?

Edited by Rolls

Hey guys

I'm working on a 250kw RB25 setup

Tossing up between the ss1pu or the ss1.5

It's going to be a street car and I want something that pushes you back in your seat and makes you hold on

Makes power early and can hold 250

Read the charts with the differences between the 2 and saw the 1.5 made better numbers on lower boost so I guess this would be the way to go?

What's the difference in the 2 other then the $250 price difference?

That's a bit vague...push you back in your seat feeling is very subjective and most people associate this with turbos that come on strong - usually big laggy turbos rather than turbos than come on early. As a general rule, the earlier turbo comes on, the more linear feeling the power delivery will be. So it'll be fast, but it won't necessarily feel as powerful as a dirty lagger that wheelspins at 4000rpm and makes you hold on for life.

That's a bit vague...push you back in your seat feeling is very subjective and most people associate this with turbos that come on strong - usually big laggy turbos rather than turbos than come on early. As a general rule, the earlier turbo comes on, the more linear feeling the power delivery will be. So it'll be fast, but it won't necessarily feel as powerful as a dirty lagger that wheelspins at 4000rpm and makes you hold on for life.

Okay understood I guess I will just stick with the SS1PU then.

Thanks for the info

Not sure I agree, im running a Disco right now with a .86 turbine housing. Boost comes on fairly early and progressive, its really smooth and liniear with lots of top end power.

Alternatively I have driven .64 variants which come on earlier and stronger, the push you in the seat feeling is twice as epic and they are MORE responsive (not dirty laggy wheel spin things).

But we are talking about 200kw turbos rather than 300kw... Maybe thats the difference I guess.

Well he's talking 250rwkw turbos on an RB25DET, and using the Hypergear product as an example...you're either choosing a linear power delivery high flow to get you there, or a big laggy bastard like the one I test drove on Stao's car that makes you go "oh shit!" when you get to 4000rpm.

Not sure I agree, im running a Disco right now with a .86 turbine housing. Boost comes on fairly early and progressive, its really smooth and liniear with lots of top end power.

Alternatively I have driven .64 variants which come on earlier and stronger, the push you in the seat feeling is twice as epic and they are MORE responsive (not dirty laggy wheel spin things).

But we are talking about 200kw turbos rather than 300kw... Maybe thats the difference I guess.

I'm assuming you talking about 200kw turbos on SR motors? I found the 'push-in-seat' more epic in a couple of Jap spec s15s I drove with boost wound up high. But maybe thats because of the nature of the less torquey 4 bangers - lag.. then strong boost, RBs seem a lot mre linear and less crazy maybe because they already have the down-low torque pushing the car along..