SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Little update:

This is sent in from a member. Using an ATR43SS1 (none PU version) on a stock RB20det with usual mods. Car made 227rwkws on 18psi. Green is final tune, and Yellow is his previous tune on stock turbo. Running pump 98 fuel.

That would be making close to 300kw at the flywheel, not bad for 2.0L engine.

I wonder what sort of improvement could be made between 2-4000 RPM with different cams and adjustable cogs? Would Poncams help down there, or would they only benefit the top end?

you might be able to move it slightly with cams and/or adjustable cam gears but you cant escape the fact its a 2L engine and you have a turbo capable of flowing 250rwkw. Its the same thing on an RB25 that its very hard to make 300rwkw on 98 fuel with full boost much before 4000rpm. If you want more power between 2-4000rpm on an RB20 then either increase capacity of the engine or get a smaller turbo and accept less top end power.

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

That's the choice I'll have to make in about 6 months, but as my car won't be doing any track work the decision is easier to make, still the lure of 300hp at the wheels is very tempting.

Edited by Missileman

You can't have your cake and eat it too...

That's the choice I'll have to make in about 6 months, but as my car won't be doing any track work the decision is easier to make, still the lure of 300hp at the wheels is very tempting.

It might not be impossible, I have a stock RB20 turbo highflowed by Hypergear .... it was on the dyno the other night, we hit a misfire and have to go back today, but it's looking promising ....

Been told by the tuner the yellow line was what the car had on stock turbo after it was tuned. It was back for return after new turbo was installed, Blue line was the SS1 on a lower boost and Green was final tune on 18psi.

That turbo had about the same response as a stock 21U turbo on a Rb25det.

i reckon it had a rb25 turbo on it.

It might not be impossible, I have a stock RB20 turbo highflowed by Hypergear .... it was on the dyno the other night, we hit a misfire and have to go back today, but it's looking promising ....

Yeah you mentioned it in another thread, I'm very keen to see your results, manifold pressure v rpm. My RB20 is mated to a auto trannie so any lag is double trouble for me, to be honest if I could make 160kw at the wheels without any extra lag I would be happy, if it comes on boost earlier than stock I would be over the moon.

Mike.

Yeah you mentioned it in another thread, I'm very keen to see your results, manifold pressure v rpm. My RB20 is mated to a auto trannie so any lag is double trouble for me, to be honest if I could make 160kw at the wheels without any extra lag I would be happy, if it comes on boost earlier than stock I would be over the moon.

Mike.

Just got back from getting it tuned, when the timing got advanced it started pinging so had to stop at 201rwkw @ 20psi, will be posting in the RB20 thread :)

Just got back from getting it tuned, when the timing got advanced it started pinging so had to stop at 201rwkw @ 20psi, will be posting in the RB20 thread :)

Not bad for rb20 high flow. Did you end up making a 3inch metal intake pipe or was that still with factory rubber pipe?

Some update for the ATR43SS3.

This is the first dual gated turbo I've designed. It can run either internal or external gate or both. The internal gate setup is more of a road legal counter measure.

Did couple of runs. The turbo made very wide and spread of torque with very linear power that I was hopping for. my re-engineered external gate also worked brilliantly. How ever I'm 50kws short. Looks like the turbine housing is maxed out causing restrictions.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

I’ve measured the screamer pipe wrong and made it slightly short. So I had to fit it upside down lol. I’ve attached videos for couple of runs for amusement (notice the flame shooting out of my engine bay).

I’ll be remaking a larger housing for this core in about a week and see how it goes.

any more development on this turbo? thats about the best 300rwkws any one's every made on pump. Can you run this core into my current high flow?

Not bad for rb20 high flow. Did you end up making a 3inch metal intake pipe or was that still with factory rubber pipe?

Was with a 3 inch metal pipe using the silicone pipe that was in it as joiners, but eliminating the flexi curved bit that would suck shut. I was hoping for a little more, but really the smaller turbo is a worthwhile sacrifice for street driving, spools up a lot faster this way I am sure.

Cheers for that Chris, much appreciated.

No Worries :)

Was with a 3 inch metal pipe using the silicone pipe that was in it as joiners, but eliminating the flexi curved bit that would suck shut. I was hoping for a little more, but really the smaller turbo is a worthwhile sacrifice for street driving, spools up a lot faster this way I am sure.

i was very impressed with the way the highflow drove. Power delivery was very strong.

Peaked to 20 but held 18.5 to redline

Make a full 3inch intake pipe from turbo outlet to pod. That allows turbo drawning air lot easier, faster response, more torque, and stops pinning at certain timing as EGT rises when greater engergy is required forcing turbine spinning.

Give that a shot when free, In theory the internals of that high flow should handel some where upto 230rwkws on a Rb20det.

i was very impressed with the way the highflow drove. Power delivery was very strong.

Peaked to 20 but held 18.5 to redline. Which is how i set it

Make a full 3inch intake pipe from turbo outlet to pod. That allows turbo drawning air lot easier, faster response, more torque, and stops pinning at certain timing as EGT rises when greater engergy is required forcing turbine spinning.

Give that a shot when free, In theory the internals of that high flow should handel some where upto 230rwkws on a Rb20det.

Jez couldn't push the motor too hard, it was starting to ping when he advanced the timing, but he'll know more about that than me, so I'm not sure that my motor has that much in it with that turbo, but it hauls arse now so I'm pretty happy :D

Peaked to 20 but held 18.5 to redline. Which is how i set it

It does drive really nicely, and it's nice to have a boost controller that allows me to change it up as well! Feels great, drives awesome!

Where did you get this intake pipe? I need a few my self.

In this case not sure if by using high pressure actuator holding more boost uptop would gain abit more kws, but that would be about the limit from high flowing a R32 GTT turbo.

any more development on this turbo? thats about the best 300rwkws any one's every made on pump. Can you run this core into my current high flow?

That is a tipical high mount ext gated turbo good for running E85 with (above result was on 98). not suitable for high flowing. But let me know if you want to go down that path.

Good intake pipes aye. The 3 inch metal pipe fits snug inside it so not restricting it.

I Can supply if u like

There was no issue's with holding boost. Just how i set it up with the boost controll. Car feels like more than 200kw on the road.