SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Should be much the same, maybe a little less...I don't think the ATR43 comp housing is much bigger than the standard comp housing, if at all. I just wanted a more factory look so got Stao to high flow the factory comp. The rear housing is the same as the ATR43 so this is why it should produce similar results.

Apparently my turbo is now ready so I'll pick it up, install next weekend and get it tuned soon after.

sounds alright, just get a sensor to watch your intake temps..your runnign a PFC arent you??

Little update:

This is sent in from a member. Using an ATR43SS1 (none PU version) on a stock RB20det with usual mods. Car made 227rwkws on 18psi. Green is final tune, and Yellow is his previous tune on stock turbo. Running pump 98 fuel.

rb20det225rwkw.jpg

Yellow line looks much more like the SS1 on a lower boost setting than a stock turbo... Might want to check that stao

Been told by the tuner the yellow line was what the car had on stock turbo after it was tuned. It was back for return after new turbo was installed, Blue line was the SS1 on a lower boost and Green was final tune on 18psi.

That turbo had about the same response as a stock 21U turbo on a Rb25det.

that doesn't make sense, the stock rb20 turbo makes full boost far earlier than 4200rpm, more like 2800rpm.

The spool times look identical, it just looks wrong. Not to mention I am unaware of any rb20 that makes 195kw on a stock turbo.

Edited by Rolls

Except definition of "full boost" is differ. I don't have a boost reading yet, The point of where power starts to sprad is not where it reaches full boost. 195rwkws was archeived by the SS1 on lower boost based on the blue line.

I'm going by the information his tuner sent at this stage.

r32dyno.JPG

How is anyone getting that the yellow/stock turbo traces are reaching full boost at 4000?

They only show power and torque, not boost. The thing could be on full boost at lower revs but the engine isn't making a decent climb in power or torque until 4k.

Yeah, even if the stock turbo's result doesn't make much sense to people, no one has actually said how good the upgrade has been...that's a lot of power for something that needs a push to get up a hill.

How is anyone getting that the yellow/stock turbo traces are reaching full boost at 4000?

They only show power and torque, not boost. The thing could be on full boost at lower revs but the engine isn't making a decent climb in power or torque until 4k.

Yeah it could be the typical stock tune midrange timing pull making the power dip making it look like full boost is there, and the full boost is at 3k where the earlier peak is. Good point.

edit: neo turbo has the bigger rear housing, maybe it was on full boost at 4k, makes sense I guess. Top result for a rb20 as well.

Edited by Rolls

I dont quite get how that pissy RB20 (flame suit on) can make 190rwkw on a stock turbo when a lot of us RB25 owners JUST make 200rwkw w/ stock turbo on a much ballsier engine..

its a 25 neo turbo

Yep i did read that, but still an RB20 with a neo turbo and typical RB25 neos (with neo turbos) both making in the vicinity of 190-200rwkw.. I smell somethings not right somewhere..

LOL I think I know what smells rondofj...

That makes much more sense the fact the yellow line was an R34 turbo. Great result by the SS1! Goes to show you that the R34 turbo doesnt really suit the RB20 engine as it has the same response as the SS1 which makes 30-40rwkw more.

Yep i did read that, but still an RB20 with a neo turbo and typical RB25 neos (with neo turbos) both making in the vicinity of 190-200rwkw.. I smell somethings not right somewhere..

People have made up to ~220rwkw with the standard turbo on an RB25, I see no reason the RB20 can't push 200 especially with the same turbo. Spool time and full boost would just take longer, which it does in the graph. Also allow 10-15rwkw variance between dynos.

Consider similar effect of RB25 vs RB30...they can make similar power but with the RB30 coming on much earlier. The 500cc difference isnt that great.