SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Finding a good tuner is hard, but finding one who actually wants to do it properly everytime is even harder.

This is more the issue, I found good tuners but they were lazy and rushed as they had too many customers half the time and I couldn't trust they had put 100% into it.

When they had no cars they did a top job.

This is more the issue, I found good tuners but they were lazy and rushed as they had too many customers half the time and I couldn't trust they had put 100% into it.

Its all business mate, money comes first for most people..Its a sad world really.

My own car was tuned by one of the biggest names in this country, admittedly it wasnt in good shape at the time but the tuner more or less tuned it to whatever and sent him packing (previous owner being a mate of mine).

IMHO this was a half arsed effort and shouldnt be the case. The owner was somewhat naive and didnt realise there was any issues, he trusted the tuner to report back anything they found (as requested). The tuner believed the cat was blocked, thus they punched it out for him as a test but still had a bung result.

They finished the tune as is and gave it back to him saying it was fine. I found the middle muffler was blocked, once removed the car instantly picked up bucket loads of power but only made it to redline once. Knocked so hard it blew the motor.

Not the tuners fault the motor blew, I should have known better but didnt care. But the tuner definitely let the old owner down by giving up after the cat wasnt the real issue. Again, biggest name I know of (internationally known).

Its all business mate, money comes first for most people..Its a sad world really.

This is why I'm not going to a big name tuner, I want the best for my car, but don't have thousands of dollars to plunk down on the table and get their attention.

Luckily Ive found a tuner where tuning is his hobbie and he also has bucket loads of experience to go with it. He doesn't really tune for money (thought he does charge of course) but more because he enjoys it, lets you sit in the car and explains everything he is doing and won't finish until you are happy with the result.

If you just want to give him money and pick it up he isn't really interested in tuning as he doesn't get much of a kick out of generic jobs if you aren't actually interested in what is going on.

I find if you have a bit of a relationship with them, eg have been there many times in the past and they know you on a first name basis they are far more likely to give it 100% of their energy, even better if you are a friend of a friend as they feel more accountable that way.

Agree about tuners, can't blame them a lot of the time when they have to compete with each other for bottom dollar customers...and lets face it...there are plenty of tight asses out there who will go with the cheapest option because they spent x on their turbo setup and didn't budget for a quality tune. It's not a mechanical repair where you can say it will cost x dollars, then when it's repaired it's repaired and it either works or it doesn't. Tuning is a quality/time equation, so obviously the more time they want to devote to it, the more they can perfect the tune. They are a business like any other so find an honest one and tell them you're willing to pay for the extra time put into making it right.

One thing you need to do regardless of the turbo is a solid intake pipe, preferably with BOV and cam cover inlets. You can get away without it but your results will not be optimal and it is not recommended.

Edited by Rolls

No way...too laggy for the power you want. Keep in mind the factory turbo is good for up to / around 220ish, if it were possible to reliably run that on E85 you would probably have your power goal. I'd go for a highflow that mimicks the factory turbo in terms of response, but with stronger internals. Or the G1 profile.

Hope so.. it's going in a 32 too ;).

http://digi-hardware.com/atr43.html

I'm guessing I want a g4 in a .82 housing.

Profile G4 T3 .82 / 1.0: 600HP $1250

LOLZ how did you come up with that turbo?? That turbo would have full boost a fair bit over 5000rpm. Why not run a GT45 turbo on 0.2psi...

As birds said, you want something much much smaller. Either a highflow or an SS1.5PU would be my choices.