SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I thought you did away with CBB tech? Many of the good/reliable turbos out run journals anyway, so I dont understand the need for change.

Keep your cost low and reliability high :thumbsup:

The earlier models are very time and cost consuming its impossible to sale. They are deep groove bearings which run thrust plate. The current model run angular contact bearings which get rid of the thrust plate, so the thrust load are pressed onto the collar that sits on bearings.

Problems is all bearings and shaft collars must rotate uniformly, means they must be secured. When the turbo is under heat the thermo expansion alters the collar tolerance, forces the comp wheel out of alignment and bents the shaft.

So we've modeled couple of spring system that takes out the thermo expansion but not the thrust load. I’m trailing them individually and some are working considerably well.

Its more or less of a hobby thing, I still believe the floating are still more reliable as there are no bearing contacts while the roller bearings are engaged all times. The rolling object in side the bearing cartridge are harder then the cage it self so it will wear it out over time.

Depending on the out come of the evaluation I’m hopping to see an improvement over the current thrust bearing setup.

Do you actually sleep at night Stao, or do you have ideas for turbos floating threw you head all night keeping you up??..lol

cheers

darren

haha lol. yes its like on drugs, the ideas of FNT and SS did shown up like that. I've also got an idea of altering turbine A/R through FNT nozzle, which I'm trailing out on the new high flows. :teehee:

Regarding the SS3, do you think you have a restriction around 320-330rwkw in your setup somewhere? As the SS2 made 320rwkw with a lot more response. It looks like the SS3 should go on to make more.

Also what turbo does ABE run that is making 359rwkw on E85? Is that an SS2?

Regarding the SS3, do you think you have a restriction around 320-330rwkw in your setup somewhere? As the SS2 made 320rwkw with a lot more response. It looks like the SS3 should go on to make more.

Also what turbo does ABE run that is making 359rwkw on E85? Is that an SS2?

I have a funny feeling its more a case of all the compressor/turbine combinations around that size are restricted by fuel octane at that power level. He always get to 320-330rwkw, just the curves look different.

Boost vs timing vs fuel octane, or i could be talking out my arse...

Stao should be able to answer that, Trent definitly could, i have asked before!

maybe it is a restriction?, maybe its a good idea soon to buy a decent manifold, one you know makes power(not a ebay pos), something like a ETM or 6BOOST and see what

effect that has on power, and maybe you can work backwards?..

Thats why i am interested what the kando's does on pump 98 , but trent power figures for them on 98 for a T67 was in that 330rwkw ballpark aswell, sorta makes the octane thing

seem like it has merit to me.

the most i have seen(with my own eyes, never really looked up on net) on 98 octane with IW and standard manifold was 340ish rwkw with a 3540 i think jammed in a OP6 on 24-25psi, and it had poncams aswell, don't know what a.82

would be worth at that level, but thats pushing it on 98..lol

Interesting stuff all the less, fail or succeed, Stao's thread always makes for a interesting read, never know what he will come up with next!

cheers

darren

Edited by jet_r31

Thats interesting about the octane limit. I know Stao was talking about putting an aftermarket manifold to see if that was the limit but 99% of his customers are using the standard manifold so not sure how much it would help sales.

320-330rwkw on 98 is about 360-370rwkw on E85 which is more than enough really!

Agree about the interesting thread, it is definitely my favourite thread on this site.

we need more SS1PU results and feedback, I'm sure a lot of yous would like to see that, isn't it the 'star' RB25 street turbo currently??>_<

buy one then :whistling:

Yup agreed, I would also like to see some more SS1PU results. I can only seem to get 10-20rwkw less than Stao's results for whatever reason so it would be good to see if people can match the ~280rwkw he made with awesome response.

we need more SS1PU results and feedback, I'm sure a lot of yous would like to see that, isn't it the 'star' RB25 street turbo currently??>_<

buy one then :whistling:

Exactly.

Bite the bullet and be the pioneer that shows everyone how good the product is. Dont wait for somebody else to buy it so you can see if they fail, its snide trash and is only showing you how good the turbo is on one given setup. Not the setup you yourself have carefully planned, built and trust.

You could be looking at SimonR32 vs that guy with the auto, both run T67s with 100kw difference in results. Just not the same kit up.

Dont wait for a scape goat guinea pig to come along. :down:

Exactly.

Bite the bullet and be the pioneer that shows everyone how good the product is. Dont wait for somebody else to buy it so you can see if they fail, its snide trash and is only showing you how good the turbo is on one given setup. Not the setup you yourself have carefully planned, built and trust.

You could be looking at SimonR32 vs that guy with the auto, both run T67s with 100kw difference in results. Just not the same kit up.

Dont wait for a scape goat guinea pig to come along. :down:

Scot, I sometimes wonder...ur not a secret agent working for Hypergear are you?? :dry:

Its because theres quite a few posts where he is highly recommending (fair enough, each to his own) but also kinda pushing people to go HG, like really go for it, thats the one.. Hehe

Well at moment most of my results are based on bolting turbos to stock setup. It appears that factory manifold can only flow so much on pump 98. Up size the turbo made laggier mid range but no difference in top end. To get more power I need high mount manifold, ext gate and custom every thing else. I will come to it eventually.

The turbo is just a part, the control result is based on a car that has no restrictive or EPA components, healthy engine, quality supporting mods, tuned by one of the best tuners, so it should be the best as you can get with the turbo that is on it, control results are very achievable.

Tuner's skills makes a hug difference in power out put, turbo response and drivability. I've just had an customer came in from ACT with a local tune full of knock afr at 14, car droves like crap. After re-tune at Status the car made more power, picked up 500RPMs better in response and drove heaps smoother. I will have that result for posting in few days.

Also I need to talk about intercoolers. I'm not sure what they are making them out of this days in China, Customer bought a China return flow, it gets very hot after one run and takes 3 mints on front of a dyno fan to cool down. While the PWR (on test car) only gets little worm after 6 runs and plazamans was cold from start to end (Abe’s car). Its a good idea to pick a better coolers that can exchange heat more efficiently.

Stao, totally agree on the cooler. Like everything I would say the manufacturers of our old china cores have since moved on to supplying people like HDI or similar, and smaller (lower QA) type companies are pushing through the no name stuff.

Ron, its just that for the majority of 2009 and 2010 I plotted and planned nearly every feasible setup for an RB25. I then decided to throw caution to the wind and aim for more power than the motor could do, and bought a 1JZ. Shortly later Stao started producing his SS based turbos and I have been kicking myself ever since.

Its a good product. I'm even tempted to put one on my SR, what more can you say? For a solid fast spooling 270kw (What I craved) I believe You can either buy a HKS 2835 Pro S, do a kando setup with a big external gate, or you can use an SS1PU.

The HKS costs a mint. The kando needs a fair amount of custom fab and the SS1PU more or less bolts on and is optimized for what the desired outcome is. Many test models, many hours of R&D against an actual RB25, a predictable outcome with mostly off the shelf and resaleable parts.

/end of story/