SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

I think maybe whats annoying Sarge is that there is a bunch of people here who say everything is easy just do this blah blah its so simple. Message to those people - you obviously have very little practical experience if you think that way so unless you have some specific advice to help someone then don't repeat the same useless 'its easy blah blah' rubbish.

Sarge, im sending you a PM I know someone who can sort it out for you.

Haha tough week mate. I think we are just all keen to see the SS2 do what it should.

Shouldnt have to change the intake pipe if you remove the AFM?? If the pod wont sit in that location (where the afm would sit) just get another bit of pipe in place of the afm and then bolt the pod onto that.

Yeah it is frustrating that you cant get anything off the shelf, as you said every other part you can.

See mine below, its just a 90 deg ben with 2 bits of pipe welded on, some rubber hose and some clamps. As you can see I stuffed up the first location of the pcv breather haha.

post-29432-0-95512100-1322801588_thumb.jpg

I think maybe whats annoying Sarge is that there is a bunch of people here who say everything is easy just do this blah blah its so simple.

I thought it was simple, I called up a shop 'I have a soft intake pipe sucking shut, how much for a metal one with bov and cam vent holes installed?" they replied $200 and it was done the next day.

I thought it was simple, I called up a shop 'I have a soft intake pipe sucking shut, how much for a metal one with bov and cam vent holes installed?" they replied $200 and it was done the next day.

That is the answer I want, but everyone is "oh you need to do this, its gonna cost more, oh this is in the way oh change this, oh i cant make it fit this oh i have no time"

its all f**king around. EVERYTHING I done on my car I done my self because it is easy to source parts, the only part which has to be made to suit is the intake pipe. You buy something, you fit it on. Its a different story when it has to be made to fit because you need to find someone who can and will do it for a price you are happy with.

Last time I got an intake pipe made, the car would stall every time I clutched in. Simple shit like air from the BOV return hitting the afm throwing shit out is what people miss. I made my intake pipe with a 3" bend and all the returns as close to the turbo and angled right. Why it doesn't make power and why its a restriction, I have no idea.

Edited by SargeRX8

What is the point having a 4' intake if the afm housing is 3'?

I assume this is in response to Hanaldo's setup. I think its out of complexity. This way he can get it running and then later move the afm to the cooler piping and then stick on a 4" pod

That is the answer I want, but everyone is "oh you need to do this, its gonna cost more, oh this is in the way oh change this, oh i cant make it fit this oh i have no time"

its all f**king around. EVERYTHING I done on my car I done my self because it is easy to source parts, the only part which has to be made to suit is the intake pipe. You buy something, you fit it on. Its a different story when it has to be made to fit because you need to find someone who can and will do it for a price you are happy with.

Last time I got an intake pipe made, the car would stall every time I clutched in. Simple shit like air from the BOV return hitting the afm throwing shit out is what people miss. I made my intake pipe with a 3" bend and all the returns as close to the turbo and angled right. Why it doesn't make power and why its a restriction, I have no idea.

Oh so you do have a 3" metal intake pipe?? Well maybe its something else??

Yehhh, see my intake was $400 and now I need to change it again. So that was probably a poor choice.

And $400 is about right. I'm not talking about a poxy piece of crap 90 degree steel bend from supercheap. This is top quality stuff, shattered 3 cutting discs trying to trim it. And it's not quite 90 degree, it was full custom so has bends in all the right places so it fits perfectly and sat where I wanted it to sit.

When it was tuned, it was a metal intake 3"(the point of the bend would have been somewhat less because I cut a moon out of it and bent it shut and welded it up) the top half was a 90 degree rubber connector to the AFM.

The only thing we haven't tried is dropping the exhaust. I can build, hit and hold boost just the power figure possibly isn't what it should be. None the less this is why I need a new intake pipe, maybe I made it wrong. It is now running without a rubber bend and the car will detonate on higher boost which COULD indicate an increase in flow and timing needs to be pulled or fuel added. I am not going to get the car tuned until I get a new intake. If I move the AFM into the cooler piping, I throw out my tune completely but I can run a direct pipe with the returns and pod on the end making life easier. Problem is if that goes to the shit house, I will have hacked up cooler pipe and a mess under my bonnet. This also is putting effect on why I don't have a "proper" intake pipe yet.

I assume this is in response to Hanaldo's setup. I think its out of complexity. This way he can get it running and then later move the afm to the cooler piping and then stick on a 4" pod

Exactly.

It will be a restriction for now, I accept I won't make full power with this setup. But changing to a 4" intake without a MAP based ecu is a lot of work and money. It's something that will be done down the line but I can't afford right now.

This is the result of a person who either plays too dumb or talks too much shit.

Take your car somewhere decent and say as little as possible in the most informative words you can think of.

"G'day mate, how much to make a 3" intake pipe for me? From the turbo to the airbox with 2 bungs in it for the breathers, the turbo and the AFM are standard 3" hose outlets - nothing bolt on. Thanks"

Answer: "that will be about $xxx mate, when do you want to drop it off?"

OR why dont you ge a standard 90 degree bend like everyone else does and run the pod/Z32 on the end of it? Then drive it to a shop with the BOV and breather disconnected and ask them to simply put the bungs on for you.

When it was tuned, it was a metal intake 3"(the point of the bend would have been somewhat less because I cut a moon out of it and bent it shut and welded it up) the top half was a 90 degree rubber connector to the AFM.

The only thing we haven't tried is dropping the exhaust. I can build, hit and hold boost just the power figure possibly isn't what it should be. None the less this is why I need a new intake pipe, maybe I made it wrong. It is now running without a rubber bend and the car will detonate on higher boost which COULD indicate an increase in flow and timing needs to be pulled or fuel added. I am not going to get the car tuned until I get a new intake. If I move the AFM into the cooler piping, I throw out my tune completely but I can run a direct pipe with the returns and pod on the end making life easier. Problem is if that goes to the shit house, I will have hacked up cooler pipe and a mess under my bonnet. This also is putting effect on why I don't have a "proper" intake pipe yet.

Did you ever pressure test the intake?

In your case Sarge, you had excellent results (in both power/response) on 11psi but then adding boost from there did not gain any more power. Therefore I would lean to a flow restriction, a manifold leak would show up as a bad 11psi result as well. As it flows well up to a certain point and then cannot get any more air through.

Thats not entirely true. It made 244kw on 11psi on advans dyno, but first run on our mainline made around 210ish kw. We ended up with 244kw on higher boost. And the car felt more powerful etc.

Just a quick post because I'm on my phone; car made 390rwhp@18psi. Biggest restriction was actually your screamer pipe Stao, may want to rethink that design as it caused a few issues. Luckily my tuner had a spare one lying around that fit.

Well is it creeping boost? the Diameter of that pipe is in exact diameter of the outlet of your external gate, and just run through with no restrictions. Any difference with your tuner's screamer pipe? interested to see the dyno reading once finished.

I'll post the sheet when I get on a computer.

Yeh it was creeping up to 30psi and was maxing at about 320rwhp. Its not the size of the screamer Stao, it's the sharp 90 degree bend. Thats the difference between my tuners and yours; my tuners is a gradual curve so there's no restriction to the flow.

And yes, tune is finished. I've apparently found the limits of NIStune, it's not happy.

Edited by Hanaldo