SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Ive struck some back luck - picked the car up early from the tuners today.

Car makes boost as expected but does not make power. There is either a blockage or leak in the intake or exhaust system that has gone unnoticed.

Its very unlikely that there is any problem with the turbo or actuator, so I will be checking out all the piping etc as soon as I can and maybe replacing the stock BOV while im at it.

Engine compression is fine and it makes normal power off boost so it has to be something else.

Car makes boost as expected but does not make power. There is either a blockage or leak in the intake or exhaust system that has gone unnoticed.

Its very unlikely that there is any problem with the turbo or actuator, so I will be checking out all the piping etc as soon as I can and maybe replacing the stock BOV while im at it.

Engine compression is fine and it makes normal power off boost so it has to be something else.

Shitty cat? It annoys me greatly that these "tuners" run into a restriction problem yet either are too downy to think "oh maybe it's teh catz" or that they DO think of it and DON'T bother dropping the exhaust to find out. WTF

well i had a tuner take the liberty of smashing my expensive metal cat without confirming id be ok with this thinking it was blocked.

then still blocked tuned around it and told me its fine but ill need a new cat. ages later i spot the mid muffler on the catback is crushed so i change the catback, pick up infinity KW and pop the motor lol.

long story short sometimes they do look at teh catz a little harder than necessary and give up there. Noob Tuna's.

My car makes boost but also lacking alot of power with the ss2. Tao made 300rwkw on 20, I make 246 on 20. I've got a fat hks, massive 5 inch cat and a jjr dump. We think the intake side is the restriction buy only time will tell, I need an intake pipe, I'm waiting for the units tao is working on. I also run very similar if not a tiny bit more timing than tao.

Making big power requires that everything is basically perfect, not surprising that so many people have issues. Just look at the amount of threads in FI about cars not making the power they should.

Making big power requires that everything is basically perfect, not surprising that so many people have issues. Just look at the amount of threads in FI about cars not making the power they should.

Spot on. If its not right it just wont eventuate..

Its the accumulation of parts that gets the results. If you want the results Stao gets you will need to mimic his setup.

Spot on. If its not right it just wont eventuate..

Its the accumulation of parts that gets the results. If you want the results Stao gets you will need to mimic his setup.

and even with all the right parts you've got things like silicon joiners leaking, gaskets leaking, broken studs causing gasket to fail to seal, valve float due to old head, injectors unbalanced, etc etc.

Leaks and restrictions seem to be the biggest cause from what I've seen.

and even with all the right parts you've got things like silicon joiners leaking, gaskets leaking, broken studs causing gasket to fail to seal, valve float due to old head, injectors unbalanced, etc etc.

Leaks and restrictions seem to be the biggest cause from what I've seen.

Ive believe in my case its an intake restriction. I started getting worried that I might have a tired old motor but a comp test gave good results(155 to 160 across the board). Ive got all the supporting mods I don't suspect any intake leaks. I can never be sure if I do or do not have a manifold leak because I have never checked but if I did I am sure I would know about it.

The biggest bitch is the intake pipe.

seriousily so many ppl whinging about intake etc

go fkn buy a 3" stainless bend, get some smaller stainless tub, take it 2 a fkn fabricator get it welded on 4 your bov return and catch can return and buy a silicon hose 2 join afm and pod and bolt the f**king thing on. take all of about 10mins 2 organise and hour 2 get shit welded on. DONE.

or sit around here whinging about how shit ur intake pipe is and why ur car doesnt make any power blah blah blah.

Ive believe in my case its an intake restriction. I started getting worried that I might have a tired old motor but a comp test gave good results(155 to 160 across the board). Ive got all the supporting mods I don't suspect any intake leaks. I can never be sure if I do or do not have a manifold leak because I have never checked but if I did I am sure I would know about it.

The biggest bitch is the intake pipe.

In your case Sarge, you had excellent results (in both power/response) on 11psi but then adding boost from there did not gain any more power. Therefore I would lean to a flow restriction, a manifold leak would show up as a bad 11psi result as well. As it flows well up to a certain point and then cannot get any more air through.

seriousily so many ppl whinging about intake etc

go fkn buy a 3" stainless bend, get some smaller stainless tub, take it 2 a fkn fabricator get it welded on 4 your bov return and catch can return and buy a silicon hose 2 join afm and pod and bolt the f**king thing on. take all of about 10mins 2 organise and hour 2 get shit welded on. DONE.

or sit around here whinging about how shit ur intake pipe is and why ur car doesnt make any power blah blah blah.

Yep, simple as that. Mine was $400...

Everyone has done that... cost me $200 installed for boost worx to do it.

Edited by Rolls

Everyone has done that... cost me $200 installed for boost worx to do it.

Nope SargeRX8 keeps whinging about it...

I bought the 90 deg bend for $20, then two separate lots of $20 to weld the two fittings on, then some pipe and hose to connect so all up prob $80. Was thinking about making a few up and selling them.

$400 for intake ? oh dear....

It depends on what was done. I know SS8_Gohan had a place make him one for $350 that included 2 x 90 deg bends on the exact angle and location that hooked up to his standard airbox with both the ports connected.

If its just for a 90 degree bend and 2 fittings then yeah thats VERY dear!

I got quoted 400 from a shop to make it. I then got quoted $80 from another but they were too busy to handle small jobs. I then got quoted $120 from another shop, then I gave him the car to measure and make it and he dicked me around saying this and that was in the way, I cant do it because of this etc. So I ended up making one my self and it was shit.

Until your f**ken sure what you're going to do and how you are going to set everything up, why the f**k would you outlay such money on something which has the potential to change? I was running an atmo catch can. I removed it. Tao suggests running the Z32 in the cooler pipe. What if I done the same? Going to go hack up a freshly made $200 pipe after being f**ked around by most places in my area trying to get one made the first time?

I'm not bitching and I wasn't f**ken whinging. I simply stated my car was not making the power because of the intake. Did I, in any point, in any of my f**ken posts, start talking shit at people because my car wasn't making power? I complemented the latter tuner of my car, I complimented Tao on the turbo etc. No where did I accuse, bitch or whine about the intake pipe.

Matter of the fact is it IS the biggest issue when setting up a new turbo. No car will be the same. There is no off the shelf option like a dump, or a cat. You need to find someone who will measure it up, make it right and make it fit and I haven't found anyone yet.

f**k you.