SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

The only major problem I can foresee is the o2 sensor is hitting the pipe through the firewall that is covered with aluminum wrapping and will eventually tear it open.. Air con related? I am using a jjr 3 inch bellmouth dump.

I'm using an xforce turbo back a SS2, even pushed back it still got 10mms from the Air-con rubber pipe, not touching where. O2 sensor is miles away from the fire wall. You would have heaps of clearance using the stock dump/front how ever you can't expect all aftermarket dumps to be exactly the same. I've had 2x hypergear turbos, none had fitment or performance issues.

Also there seems to be abit of debate over the 11 long bladed vs 12 long n short bladed wheels. I've drawn and cut a 11 bladed version of the SS1PU's comp wheel using the same wheel hub.

atr43ss1pu11blade.JPG

The original SS1PU felt more responsive on road, I'm pretty keen to see what the dyno says next monday.

Stao did you end up getting your car tuned with the turbo? VERY interested in how that went.

Well it is an aftermarket turbocharger working with bunch of other aftermarket parts, Turbine housing was jigged based on my own skylines, did not foul on any parts in mine and the majority of cars we've fitted the turbos to. I'll add additional installation information referring to feedbacks received in the main page when occurs.

I will try to make some alterations for aftermarket exhausts suiting stock turbo, based on the assumption that it will not affect any parts of the turbo's performance. How ever be prepared working for few extra hours fitting up any aftermarket products. We will always be happy to help or assist if required.

Back to the prototype 11 blade comp wheel. It worked better but not as good as our original SS1PU design.

Sheets from standard cast 71mm wheel, note boost drop was due to a split rubber hose wasn't spotted during time been:

power.jpg

boost.jpg

Our original SS1PU customized Billet 71mm wheel.

power.jpg

boost.jpg

11 Bladed 71mm wheel (thin green line, ss1pu thick green line)

power.jpg

boost.jpg

All 3 turbos had identical exhaust housing, wheel and wastegate setup.

The billet 11 blade 71mm wheel out performed the standard cast wheel by 18kws with 150RPMs of extra lag.

How ever our customized 6 pair bladed 71mm wheel out performed the 11 blader by 20kws with 200rpms of better response, which is still the best performer.

Looking at the 11 blade drawning, big chucks of blades covered greater inducing areas, they weighted more and coops with greater surge. It made more power which I believe that was mainly due to larger trim size with a smaller wheel hub.

Compare to SS1PU's drawning, even so that comp inducer is smaller, it has larger gaps between blades, it weights less, span easier, pumped greater volume, and it has clearly shown on the dyno reading.

That result was quite predicted.

Something that might benefit your testing stao is an exhaust temperature probe. That way you can get a rough idea of how hard the turbo is working, will also let people know if it is just for occasional street bursts at that power, or if you can run for 20 mins non stop on a track with it.

Would also let you improve your own designs.

Stao do you mind giving us any idea of the SS1PU rear wheel specs?

I am becoming increasingly interested in that turbo, I think you have done really well with the billet wheel.

you can't expect all aftermarket dumps to be exactly the same.

Well it is an aftermarket turbocharger working with bunch of other aftermarket parts

I think everyone whinging about fitment woes needs to remember the above. Mostly that the accumulation of parts used could end up in something too close somewhere or vise versa.

The other thing people need to note is that Stao could produce his turbos with a generic 5 bolt rear, then you can all go get a custom dump made up like you do on a garrett or any other brand AM turbo for another $500 odd.

Once again, where are the successful fit ups of SS1-PUs? There isnt a single customer supplied final dyno result for this exact turbo to this date so where is the feedback you talk about?

If you go a couple of pages back, i've posted my dyno results as both a pic, and optional videos on youtube. A lot of messing around to install though..had to make custom everything lol.

Cooler piping

water/oil lines

twisting the turbo around so it will fit

new pod filter as the old one squished against the side wall and was too large from the new piping

cut my air box up to fit it back in

weld a bit of pipe to the intake and connect a hose for whatever reason (ask DVSJEZ)

remove heatshield

relocate a black can looking box from above turbo because the turbo get really hot and was melting it

burnt air con pipe

Apart from these, it is a very good turbo. Responsive, makes you go "oh shit" when you go WOT. Good for daily use.

If i can find a few pics of my install i will gladly share :)

Thanks mate, saw your result but yours is a SS1.5PU, im talking about the SS1PU which has different specs on the compressor side (rated for more power)

You are the only good example I can compare with for installation problems since others are talking different models and seems like you have some of the same issues.

If you go a couple of pages back, i've posted my dyno results as both a pic, and optional videos on youtube. A lot of messing around to install though..had to make custom everything lol.

Cooler piping

water/oil lines

twisting the turbo around so it will fit

new pod filter as the old one squished against the side wall and was too large from the new piping

cut my air box up to fit it back in

weld a bit of pipe to the intake and connect a hose for whatever reason (ask DVSJEZ)

remove heatshield

relocate a black can looking box from above turbo because the turbo get really hot and was melting it

burnt air con pipe

Apart from these, it is a very good turbo. Responsive, makes you go "oh shit" when you go WOT. Good for daily use.

If i can find a few pics of my install i will gladly share :)

Great result from the customisations to the SS1PU. Loving the ~500Nm of torque from 3700-5500rpm.

Looking very similar to joeyjoeys results with a HKS 2835 Pro S on the exact same dyno!

Thanks for the feedback Pete - have you got the car fully tuned yet?

I've installed a set of split fire coils and she's all sweet, I've left it on 14psi for daily. goes hard, very responsive and builds power up very quickly. feels like round the 230 mark at moment, I will take her back for a retune when I get time off work.

Far as I can see I'm still running stock water lines and drain with this oil line. every thing cleared the dump area and bolted up to manifold no worries. Except my turbo's installed by hypergear's mechanic on site, so they must know what they are doing. For $250 its not worth my headaces I just want to drive it :D .

Stao - please dont take this the wrong way but those photos you posted are misleading, the angles you took those photos do show only a marginal difference.

I hope this feedback can help you improve your product. I have common bolt on parts and due to your product my air con drain pipe will now catch fire and drain into the cabin with no easy solution.

My mechanic has measured it it for me and found that the different is 25mm, not 15 mm. 25mm is basically one inch - it is significant if you are claiming easy bolt on fitment. Let me show you with the following photos.

Stock turbo - turbine inlet in line with outlet:

stockturboflange.jpg

SS1-PU turbine

hypergearflange.jpg

Standard bracket and bolt on Apexi cat back with bolt on cat and bolt on Just Jap front pipe (all fit perfect been on and off car several times) :

exhaustbracket2.jpg

With ruler for measurement:

exhaustbracket.jpg

Just Jap bellmouth dump/front pipe (very common bolt on part) unavoidably touching air con drain:

dumpclearance2.jpg

And from below:

dumpclearance1.jpg

We've fitted few of those to customer's cars, most of them on side. the photos taken from the DIY page was done by my mechanic and I normally install it differently on my own cars as that way I don't have to get under the car. And when I say force it in, the restraint is just the bit of tension from the rubber hangers, which the C bracket takes car of that once secured, there really isn't any thing restraining on the front part of the pipe which passes onto the manifold or the studs.

I've taken few photos of the ss1pu's rear housing next to a stock housing. As you can see its only marginal taller, there are enough clearance for that on the exhaust side:

1.JPG

2.JPG

I also found many workshops exaggerate the work they are doing so their customers are happy to pay more. If you are doing it your self it's not a big deal.

Depends what your definition is of choke. SS2 has made 300rwkw on 98 fuel with full boost at 3800rpm. To me that sounds very similar to a GT3076 and they run very well on rb25/30s. Sure a bigger turbo would run well too but this will have excellent response.

This is some photos taken from my S2 R33 using the same turbine housing on Xforce SS Front pipe. I can possibly trim out another 5mms out of the turbine housing without actually alter the physical geometry. Depending on the shape of the aftermarket front pipe. Any way fitting the SS1xx requires more work and we will leave as that.

MVC-007F.JPG

DSC01154.JPG

DSC01155.JPG

G3 is bigger then a SS2, So on Rb30det for good response sub 300rwkws G3 is fine, but for more power with abit more lag go for the G4.