SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Dammit, turbo was SO close to being fitted! :(

Compressor housing fouls on the manifold by about 5mm. So will need to get a spacer plate and some extended manifold studs. Other than that it looks like it will be fine. But probably means I'm not going to have it ready for my dyno day :(

mm I remember sending a 15mm spacer plate with the turbo. Please check the box. Also I've left the screamer pipe abit longer then whats required so there will be enough materials for plumb back extension, but other wise it can be cut short.

updating some video footages:

Down hill run on a GTST R33 with our std high flow setup from ssxracer

Same car at PIARC philips island

mm I remember sending a 15mm spacer plate with the turbo. Please check the box. Also I've left the screamer pipe abit longer then whats required so there will be enough materials for plumb back extension, but other wise it can be cut short.

There's definitely no spacer plate. All that was in the box is the turbo, screamer pipe and the gate. I did think you said the spacer plate came with the turbo which is why I checked, but it definitely didn't.

The screamer pipe is proving to be another challenge. That is pointed straight at my aircon line, I need to chop it and weld another bit onto it to get it to fit nicely. Shouldn't be too hard though.

Edited by Hanaldo

Ah legendary, that will make everything easy! Thanks mate. Just need to pick up some extended studs and it looks like it will all be perfect. It was so close to fitting, it was disappointing to not be able to get it all going.

So you will send out a 15mm spacer? Just so I know what size studs to get...

from memory the studs from an ea falcon manifold do the trick..any exhaust shop will have some new ones laying around..

just pop one out and take it to them, ask for a longer one..thats all I did anyway.. :thumbsup:

updating some video footages:

Down hill run on a GTST R33 with our std high flow setup from ssxracer

Same car at PIARC philips island

is that John??

gets along quite nicely anyway...

from memory the studs from an ea falcon manifold do the trick..any exhaust shop will have some new ones laying around..

just pop one out and take it to them, ask for a longer one..thats all I did anyway.. :thumbsup:

Yeh the studs are no problem, MTQ Engines have them. Just need to know what size.

Edited by Hanaldo

They are 15mm spacers, you can use stainless or high tensil studs in m10x1.5mm thread x 40mm length. I've got mine from Supercheap auto, they are high tensil hex studs comes in those champion bolts and nuts packs, cut the hex stud head off with a grinder and there's the perfect studs. From memory I've paid $8 for the pack also came with 4x 17mm nuts.

is that John??

gets along quite nicely anyway...

Yea, I pmed him last night for upgrade, I think the new 11 blade prototype SS1PU should work excellently for track work as the power delivery of that is so linear it almost felt like a V8. But not sure if his class restrictions allow complete aftermarket turbos.

My upgrade is nearly done however have hit an issue while re fitting the exhaust.

The SS1-PU is longer than the standard turbo so the dump pipe has moved back and no longer lines up with the cat.

Unless we have missed something this makes it definitely not bolt on since we have to now modify the exhaust to make it fit.

There is a thick plate welded on the back of the exhaust housing which I assume was to get the whole turbo the same size as the stock one however it is about 20mm longer.

Any thoughts?

post-2685-0-15151100-1321848489_thumb.jpg

The whole exhaust sits on rubber hangers right, there are plenty of free play. There is bracket that is holding the cat, loose up that bracket and there will be plenty of free play.

I don't normally disconnect the front pipe from the cat. This is how I fit it:

1. Connect the front pipe to the cat

2. Loosen up the C bracket holding the cat to chassis

3. Fit 6 studs and dump gasket on to the rear end of the turbo

4. Fit the turbo onto the dump pipe and loosely tighten the dump nuts

5. Loose fit the turbo onto the manifold and follow the DIY instructions on the water lines.

6. Secure all bolts and nuts

7. Secure the C bracket.

Or this is how my mechanic normally does it:

1. Loosen up the C bracket

2. Disconnect the front pipe from cat

3. Secure the turbo to manifold via diy instructions

4. Secure the dump pipe.

5. Connect the dump pipe to cat.

6. Secure the C bracket

The variance in rear housing protrusion wouldnt throw out the exhaust, as said rubber hangers will flex.

Just loosen off that one a the cat as its a fairly tight one to work with.

Stao what is the exducer size on that turbo? I would like to see one in a .64 SR20 rear on an SR20..

Thanks Stao - we were hoping it would fit by just loosening or modifying the bracket however my unit looks to be approx 20mm to long and it is too far off in terms of length and angle.

I will probably have a flex join fitted with a custom bracket to replace the stock one. This way everything will fit and there will be less stress on the turbo.

The turbo wont have any stress on it mate.... Its a piece of iron bolted to a piece of iron... The stress will be on the rubber joiners..

Just try, everyone else has them work. Yours is no different.

Thanks Stao - we were hoping it would fit by just loosening or modifying the bracket however my unit looks to be approx 20mm to long and it is too far off in terms of length and angle.

I will probably have a flex join fitted with a custom bracket to replace the stock one. This way everything will fit and there will be less stress on the turbo.

The plate in the back is 15mms , just force it on and tighten all the bolts. No need for any flexible hoses, the rubber hangers holding the exhaust is flexible it self. Turbine housing and manifold is made from casted steel, they are very hard materials, won't stress the turbo.

And Scott the exducer on comp side is 71mm. I think that would be very interesting running on a SR20det motor.

Just try, everyone else has them work. Yours is no different.

This is an SS1-PU, ive only heard feedback from 1 other person on this forum about this exact turbo and one other with the SS1.5. Most of the guys here have hiflows which use the standard housing. I would love to see dyno results but have not found any of this exact turbo from someone who has it fully tuned. If you hear of any let me know.

Do you have an SS1-PU?

The plate in the back is 15mms which is not much, just force it on and tighten all the bolts. No need for any flexible hoses, the rubber hangers holding the exhaust is flexible it self. Turbine housing and manifold is made from casted steel, they are very hard materials, won't stress the turbo.

The turbo wont have any stress on it mate.... Its a piece of iron bolted to a piece of iron... The stress will be on the rubber joiners..

Im not worried about the stress on the actual turbo housing, im talking about stress on the turbo to manifold studs (and the others) They bend, stretch and snap. The exhaust moves around on the hangars when cornering and hence puts stress on the studs. A flex join in the exhaust helps this. Im sure its best to keep weight off the manifold itself as well since rb25 manifolds crack and warp at the best of times.

This is pretty common problem on tracked cars, I dont think its an issue if the car is not used for track/hard cornering all the time.

Stao - from memory the plate welded to mine looks bigger than 15mm. Here is a pic of it (sitting next to a HKS 2530)

post-2685-0-36783200-1321855637_thumb.jpg