SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

lol I'm very interested in reasons of their bent turbine shaft.

I also had that that problem when we first making roller bearing CHRAs years ago, well thats due to the tolerances left between the sleeves for heat expansion. After we calculated and left the shaft sleeves with correct tolerances the shaft stopped bending and every thing worked as usual.

I've followed abit of their thread and looks like some thing technically not 100% at this stage.

There was an issue with the rear wheels not being built to spec, the wheels would grenade taking the shaft with it. They have moved to a different factory which builds the wheels to spec and apparently has no issue.

Stao, are you sure you don't know the thread size for the oil line fitting in the turbo?? I've been all over the place today trying to find someone who can tell me what thread this is, but so far nobody has found a perfect match. The closest I have got is 1/4 JIC to 3/8 UNO, which looks ALMOST the same but only gets about 3 threads in before it starts to bind.

Does anyone have one of Stao's dash 4 oil lines that you could measure the turbo end fitting for me with, I'm so sick of driving all over the place :(

Turbo oil thread is M10x1.25, water is stock size which is M18x1.5, engine end fitting is M12x1.25

About turbine wheels. they are normally friction welded to the shaft so turbine wheel and shaft are 2 pieces. The wheels are wax casted, if the shape is not uniform then it would not balance.

Materials they are generally steel or inconel (tinny percent) mixed steel. Most of performance wheels are inconel mixed or rarely titanium.

Wheels just spins, pushing or pushed by air, it won't explode unless they have large air bubbles or some thing like that. They normally explodes when bearing collapse causing wheels striking into its housings at high shaft speed. Most of that energy will be absorbed by the shaft so it bents or twist.

It looks like BW have done very little real R&D on the turbos to be honest. Looking like the stuff was dreamed out on paper and sent to their mfg supplier for immediate production.

Beta's hit clients cars before they were tested properly, something I feel FR may have been entrusted with by BW... Afterall there is a big relationship between BW and FR in all the original paraphernalia for the units.

Stao you should really try get your hands on some lightweight turbing wheels. It would be very interesting.

FYI there is an MHI MR turbo that has a very weak front wheel, it is a lightwheight model and a very high failure rate.

Every thing must be fully tested, and evaluated. Half of my new/old designs don't work when comes to testing, however they should work on paper.

Even dyno proven they needs to be trailed through various of hash driving, then gets pulled apart making sure nothing abnormal happens to its components before I can sale it and quote on a "rwkws" it makes.

Also only knowing this turbo works is not enough, We also trail what a specific turbo behaves if its not installed correctly or did not have correct mods. Those information can guide customers if an issue occurs.

For us building and selling turbos is not "only" building and selling turbos.

Regarding to turbine wheels I can get them made out of titanium, which weights 30% less. But it comes with a very high manufacturing cost, and I don't know if I can sell them at a high price thou.

You would have a basic idea on what will work without breaking though yeah?

Just remembered. I have a pair of broken 2860-5s sitting here. What are the options on having them re-cored. The wheels look ok. Bearings are stuffed though

After all those years of testing and evaluations We've developed a very solid bearing setup. I can high flow them with G1 or G2s CHRA which works well, or we can use the new SS1PU's CHRA and see what they can do in those housings.

LOL believe it or not I think it is an idea I have toyed with myself. Mine involved a little adapter plate and some die grinding ;)

I gave it up once I thought about intake plumbing.. that side of it sucked.

Hey Stao any idea what he -5 CHRA matches with? On paper it looks like a GT2860RS spec CHRA from memory....

They are very similar to a RS on a .64 rear. reminds me when I first trailed the SS1PU with a .64 rear housing which made 23psi by 2800RPMs and maxed 266rwkws. By lowering the engine capacity I think it has a pretty good chance of making the power with crazy response.

Possibly as a twin but not on a Nissan motor

Looking at that graph though. Might be worth running just one but with a larger t3 flanged turbine housing

I'd be after bulk torque from 3000-6500

Will still be a 2.5L motor

I'll have a hunt for a housing to suit that is t3 and internal gate with the normal Garrett 5 bolt outlet as I may have something in the garage that will work

If you run above as a twin on a 2.5L then that would be 1.25L per turbo. Which I think a .64 is too big, need to run a .49 size.

I can supply you a SS1PU in a T3 with 5 bolt Garrett pattern to run as single on a 2.5L, is that same pattern as T28 or the GTR?. Dynosheet of that on the Rb25det is

http://www.digi-hardware.com/images/dynosheets/atr43/atr43ss1pu/280811/power.jpg

http://www.digi-hardware.com/images/dynosheets/atr43/atr43ss1pu/280811/boost.jpg