SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

Its best to keep afm in cooler piping and run a 4inch intake with a large pod filter as I've found the 3inch makes about 15kws less.

Yeh I will be redoing all the piping and will go up to 4" then, but at the moment it's just too expensive.

I'm aiming to have this turbo installed and tuned before the 3rd of December as I have a dyno comp on that day, so will hopefully let you know some results soon. Can't wait to hear that gate :D

+1 very interested to see how you go Hanaldo!

What do you mean by redoing all the piping? You cant mean intercooler piping cause you said 4".

You must mean the intake piping. So are you putting a reducer on the front of the turbo down to 3" straight away so you can run your current intake pipe correct?

Do you have the intake pipe hooked up to your factory airbox? If so, yeah I can understand how that could be tricky to redo. Will you eventually be cutting a 4" hole in the bottom of the airbox and joining to 4" piping? With the afm located in the cooler piping.

I would be very tempted to do this straight away to save having to get it retuned again later anyway. Not to mention with a large turbo such as this I would want to give it as much air as possible. This can improve response and top end!

What exhaust do you have? I have read so many threads where people put large turbos on without spending a lot of time on intake and exhaust and they get average peak power figures but with a lot of lag.

Either way will be watching closely :thumbsup:

Do you always develop by trial and error?

How would you like him to develop, punch it into a magical calculator and produce the perfect turbo first time? :rolleyes:

No better test than in practice. Theory is great as it can guide you down the path but at the end of the day you need to verify it actually does what the theory suggests.

Stao has a great turbo understanding and if he has one weakness its constantly trying to improve his turbos even when he makes something that is a great turbo.

He also researches how other turbo manufacturers get their results.

Getting result X, identifying the weaknesses and using theory to try and improve them and repeating the practical test to see if it did is an excellent approach.

Turbos are not a simple thing and I bet the other turbo manufacturers do the same thing but they just keep it behind closed doors whereas Stao is generous enough to show us.

I much prefer reading this thread instead of Garrett released this new turbo and it made X power.

No better test than in practice. Theory is great as it can guide you down the path but at the end of the day you need to verify it actually does what the theory suggests.

Agree you have to test everything, was just curious what the process was.

Do you do any calculations or anything or do you just tweak the parts and note the results?

Dyno day at Autoworx Hanaldo? Will be keen to see how it goes. :)

That's the one man, are you running or just coming down to watch? Don't tell anyone on WCC, this is my little secret :P

Not sure if it will be done in time though. Will be installing it this weekend, so bar any problems with fitting, it will be up and running by next week. So then it's just a case of whether or not Allstar can fit me in before the 3rd confused.gif

+1 very interested to see how you go Hanaldo!

What do you mean by redoing all the piping? You cant mean intercooler piping cause you said 4".

You must mean the intake piping. So are you putting a reducer on the front of the turbo down to 3" straight away so you can run your current intake pipe correct?

Do you have the intake pipe hooked up to your factory airbox? If so, yeah I can understand how that could be tricky to redo. Will you eventually be cutting a 4" hole in the bottom of the airbox and joining to 4" piping? With the afm located in the cooler piping.

I would be very tempted to do this straight away to save having to get it retuned again later anyway. Not to mention with a large turbo such as this I would want to give it as much air as possible. This can improve response and top end!

What exhaust do you have? I have read so many threads where people put large turbos on without spending a lot of time on intake and exhaust and they get average peak power figures but with a lot of lag.

Either way will be watching closely :thumbsup:

Well my current piping was all custom done when my engine was put in. But I'm unhappy with it, it looks terrible. So I have been planning on redoing all the piping, including cooler piping (but that won't be 4" lol). Ironically, the only part of my piping that I was happy with is the intake pipe haha.

And no to the airbox, I'm using an Apexi pod. It will be a very simple task to change to a 4" intake, bar the relocation of the AFM. So I may as well just run with the reducer to my current intake pipe for now, and then get the intake pipe redone when I get the cooler piping done so I can move the AFM to the cooler piping at the same time.

As for exhaust, it's a 3" JJR bellmouth dump/front back to a 5" Venom cat, then from there it's a custom straight cut 3" job. Very high flowing, I didn't get any gains response wise or power wise when it was run without the exhaust.

How would you like him to develop, punch it into a magical calculator and produce the perfect turbo first time? :rolleyes:

Yes that would be great..

I would also like one of these magical calculators please..I tried ebay but no matches...

Are they expensive, or can I pay for it with magical money from my magical money tree?

Well my current piping was all custom done when my engine was put in. But I'm unhappy with it, it looks terrible. So I have been planning on redoing all the piping, including cooler piping (but that won't be 4" lol). Ironically, the only part of my piping that I was happy with is the intake pipe haha.

And no to the airbox, I'm using an Apexi pod. It will be a very simple task to change to a 4" intake, bar the relocation of the AFM. So I may as well just run with the reducer to my current intake pipe for now, and then get the intake pipe redone when I get the cooler piping done so I can move the AFM to the cooler piping at the same time. [/size]

As for exhaust, it's a 3" JJR bellmouth dump/front back to a 5" Venom cat, then from there it's a custom straight cut 3" job. Very high flowing, I didn't get any gains response wise or power wise when it was run without the exhaust.

Ah that sucks with the intercooler piping. Do you have an aftermarket plenum? If your going to redo all the piping I would look into that so you dont have the piping crossing over the engine. Your going a big turbo with an external gate so you may as well go the whole hog now :)

I would go 3" intercooler piping especially after the cooler and put the afm in there.

Exhaust sounds good as long as the catback is 3" straight through the whole way.

If you just have a pod the intake pipe is just a 90 deg bend isnt it? Mine has 2 return fittings from the bov and pcv.

Ah that sucks with the intercooler piping. Do you have an aftermarket plenum? If your going to redo all the piping I would look into that so you dont have the piping crossing over the engine. Your going a big turbo with an external gate so you may as well go the whole hog now :)

I would go 3" intercooler piping especially after the cooler and put the afm in there.

Exhaust sounds good as long as the catback is 3" straight through the whole way.

If you just have a pod the intake pipe is just a 90 deg bend isnt it? Mine has 2 return fittings from the bov and pcv.

Nah standard plenum. Have been toying with the idea of going front facing, but having read so much on here about people losing torque and power across the rev range I'm not sure if I want to. And my mate just installed a FFP on his 25, said it was a real pain in the ass deleting and rerouting coolant lines. I would really like to neaten up the engine bay and get rid of the cross over pipe, but undecided as of yet.

The intake pipe is more of an 'S' shape, probably because a simple 90 degree bend would see the pipe foul on the hot cooler piping going down through the guard. My original plan was to keep things as stock looking as possible, but it turned out nowhere near it lol.

That sucks about the aftermarket plenums, surely there must be one of them that doesnt loose power/torque. Heaps of crazy cars run them. I havent looked into them as I am trying to stay stock looking.

Strange I have a 90 deg bend intake pipe with the standard intercooler piping.

That's the one man, are you running or just coming down to watch? Don't tell anyone on WCC, this is my little secret :P

Not sure if it will be done in time though. Will be installing it this weekend, so bar any problems with fitting, it will be up and running by next week. So then it's just a case of whether or not Allstar can fit me in before the 3rd

Ofcourse mate. Hey if you need a hand at all with the install i'd be more than happy to help out :) .. hell even to hold a torch or just watch haha.

That sucks about the aftermarket plenums, surely there must be one of them that doesnt loose power/torque. Heaps of crazy cars run them. I havent looked into them as I am trying to stay stock looking.

Strange I have a 90 deg bend intake pipe with the standard intercooler piping.

Yeh my cooler piping is all custom made hideous, so it goes all over the place and gets in the way of things confused.gif

As for the plenums, I've seen mixed results. But the general consensus seems to be that they are only useful if aiming for high than 300rwkw. 300rwkw is my maximum target on the stock motor... I might go forward facing and put up with the loss anyway for the sake of neatening the engine bay.

Ofcourse mate. Hey if you need a hand at all with the install i'd be more than happy to help out :) .. hell even to hold a torch or just watch haha.

Haha you'd be welcome to man, but don't you live in Joondalup or something? I'm going up to a mates house in Chidlow cos he has all the necessary tools and space, so if you're willing to drive that far then you're more than welcome haha :P

Haha you'd be welcome to man, but don't you live in Joondalup or something? I'm going up to a mates house in Chidlow cos he has all the necessary tools and space, so if you're willing to drive that far then you're more than welcome haha :P

Ok awsome, sounds good.. I had to look that place up just now, lol, yep sure is a decent drive from here in joondalup. Could you pm me your number?

With most of forward facing plenums gains better response as it shortens the cooler piping by almost half a meter, which is lots of volume, but I've also seen few others went back wards. I suggest to install the turbo and get it tuned with the current setup first. Then install the plenum and go back for a quick dyno run.

Haha can some one please get me a magic calculator, saves me heaps of time and $$$ tuning. Design and making Billet wheels has opened a new door to turbo engineering, the blade size, shape, height, and hub shape makes big differences in power curve, bit like changing turbine housings. How ever sacrifices are made in areas of gains, it’s a game of finding the perfect balance. Thats keep on testing and evaluating.