SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

haha dammit, hoping nobody checked the new SAU jumpers out, theyre pretty comfy but the models need work lol

for everybody scratching there heads check out the NSW section and look at the NEW Merchandise

Sarge's car made 244kw at ADVAN performance on 11psi, then 1st run on our dyno it barely made over 200 from memory, after we had tuned it it made 244kw on 19psi, there is something holding this car back, according to Tao the intake pipe on this car is a 60kw restriction, Sarge is in the process of making a new intake pipe but has run into major issue's since doing so, looks like his car will need a full retune due to the different position of the AFM.

Harey what makes you say the dyno i use is a happy dyno? that is actually quite funny cause if it was a happy dyno than everycar i have tuned would be making unrealistic numbers which they don't. even funnier that before we started tuning Dave's car there was a comment made about atleast 1 person on SAU saying i bet its a happy dyno.

So back on topic, Tao how's things going

I never said you had a happy dyno?? All I was saying is if you are using a different ramp rate then the full boost @ X rpm will be different. In this very thread Stao did back to back tests and proved this.

Using the same dyno and tuner as Stao uses, I have never seen a HKS2835 Pro S hit full boost before 3500rpm using a 9 second ramp rate. Just trying to compare apples with apples.

Come one Sarge fix ya issues :P

BTW these discussions are more on topic then SAU jumpers or zombies :whistling:

I would rather a longer ramp rate to better match the car being on the road.

Eg from 1500rpm to 7500rpm in 4th is going to take longer than 9secs when you are on the road

Is pulling from 1500rpm really indicative of on road performance? The only time I pull from 1500rpm is when I'm going to shift at 3000rpm. If I want the car to get up, I'll give it a gear or two and be pulling from 4k or more.

I'm not particularly concerned about performance off boost or below about 4000rpm (as long as it's not dire).

It it absolutely indicative on on road performance in my book...you dont drive every where like its a race track, so being able to pull cleanly away from low revs and big throttle is important.

And to me is a key difference between a good tune and a crap tune...even if they both make the same peak power

It it absolutely indicative on on road performance in my book...you dont drive every where like its a race track, so being able to pull cleanly away from low revs and big throttle is important.

And to me is a key difference between a good tune and a crap tune...even if they both make the same peak power

Its also the key difference between a decent and crap turbo...

Its also the key difference between a decent and crap turbo...

Well that just says a lot about the performance of my ss-1 then doesn't it. :(

Edited by lilcrash

A tune of arse aside (which is obvious so a 9 or 12 second pull is irrelevant), not driving like you're on a track supports my belief. If you're driving around "normally", assuming the car isn't running a T88 or the tune isn't borked to hell, it's not really important what it's like pulling from 1500rpm. How many times do you have WOT at 1500rpm? if it's often, then you're doing it wrong.

If I am WOT, then it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to wait around for 2000rpm for my turbo to come on the boil. I'm going to give it a gear or two and get it into lots of boost and then go WOT.

I never said you had a happy dyno?? All I was saying is if you are using a different ramp rate then the full boost @ X rpm will be different. In this very thread Stao did back to back tests and proved this.

Using the same dyno and tuner as Stao uses, I have never seen a HKS2835 Pro S hit full boost before 3500rpm using a 9 second ramp rate. Just trying to compare apples with apples.

Come one Sarge fix ya issues :P

Ok then if the part about the happy dyno wasn't aimed at me then its all good.

In relation to ramp rates, i used the same ramp rates on dave's car as i did dynafits ss1.5 and sarge's ss2 so tht would have to be the best comparison seeing as its the same dyno. And its not in victoria or wa lol :P

So if we can dig up sarge's and dynafit's sheets we can hv a looksy. Once sarge has his car up and running again i will do a full tune on it.

Harey i know ur not a believer but come for a drive and get dave to take u for a run. His car really does do exactly what he says.

A tune of arse aside (which is obvious so a 9 or 12 second pull is irrelevant), not driving like you're on a track supports my belief. If you're driving around "normally", assuming the car isn't running a T88 or the tune isn't borked to hell, it's not really important what it's like pulling from 1500rpm. How many times do you have WOT at 1500rpm? if it's often, then you're doing it wrong.

If I am WOT, then it's pretty unlikely that I'm going to wait around for 2000rpm for my turbo to come on the boil. I'm going to give it a gear or two and get it into lots of boost and then go WOT.

Yes yes :)

but sometimes you dont have time to go back a couple of pegs...eg merging.

There are huge torque gains to be had by spending an hour or so on the off boost low rev area of them map.

I.e when I get the JZ tuned with the t78...I'll need to spend ages on the off boost part to make as much torque as possible for the around town drive.

Not sure how relevant this is but Trent gave me a simple way of thinking about the ramp rates, 9 second ramp rate is similar to having 1-2 people in the car, 12+ second ramp rate is like having 3-4 people.

Zeb the only thing u need to be aware of is advancing the timing in off boost area can make the boost laggier. Sometimes u need to use less timing to get the turbo spooling which promotes power, even a few psi is going to help.

Ok then if the part about the happy dyno wasn't aimed at me then its all good.

In relation to ramp rates, i used the same ramp rates on dave's car as i did dynafits ss1.5 and sarge's ss2 so tht would have to be the best comparison seeing as its the same dyno. And its not in victoria or wa lol :P

So if we can dig up sarge's and dynafit's sheets we can hv a looksy. Once sarge has his car up and running again i will do a full tune on it.

Harey i know ur not a believer but come for a drive and get dave to take u for a run. His car really does do exactly what he says.

Any chance of posting up some dyno sheets directly comparing the 3 turbos on the same screen?

I am sure Dave's car is a beast! My point was that there are other turbos that can do similar. Is Dave's car with the sexy shiny engine bay? Thats another thing that car has aftermarket plenum etc etc, not a true comparison to bolting a turbo on with a new exhaust, afm and injectors. The 2 Hypergear turbos you have tuned dont necessarily show what they are capable of either. Thats all I am saying is I would love to see a direct comparison.

Yes I am bitter that I cant afford a setup like Dave's :worship:

Not sure how relevant this is but Trent gave me a simple way of thinking about the ramp rates, 9 second ramp rate is similar to having 1-2 people in the car, 12+ second ramp rate is like having 3-4 people.

Isn't it more like driving in 1st gear, or say 4th gear? Or say driving up a really steep hill?

Any chance of posting up some dyno sheets directly comparing the 3 turbos on the same screen?

I am sure Dave's car is a beast! My point was that there are other turbos that can do similar. Is Dave's car with the sexy shiny engine bay? Thats another thing that car has aftermarket plenum etc etc, not a true comparison to bolting a turbo on with a new exhaust, afm and injectors. The 2 Hypergear turbos you have tuned dont necessarily show what they are capable of either. Thats all I am saying is I would love to see a direct comparison.

Yes I am bitter that I cant afford a setup like Dave's :worship:

Yeah thats the one :blush: Just dont tell the wifey how much i have spent!!!

Thread with dyno sheet can be foundhere

We are going to tidy it up a bit in the next few weeks, time got away from us on the friday sorting out some other issues

Zeb the only thing u need to be aware of is advancing the timing in off boost area can make the boost laggier. Sometimes u need to use less timing to get the turbo spooling which promotes power, even a few psi is going to help.

Yeah, Its a bit of a catch 22 lol