SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

The SS1 has full boost ~3200rpm so boost and power is always there when you need it, but yes in the higher gears you will loose the rush. I am using E85 so its still quite good up top, but an SS2 would kill it up top.

My SS1 only has full boost at 4100/4200. Mayb 3700 in 5th.

Yeah kinda makes for a boring car. Before someone flames me, no boost leaks, different cooler was tested, pod filter was tried. Still only makes 21 psi for a split second occasionally, more often maxes out at 16/17psi

Of course there are other options Harey, and HG has proven time and time again to be better value than most turbos out there. I do think 2835 is the shizzle, because I have had it running in the car for a whole of 5 days so im like a kid in a candy store at the moment.

But i will be the first to admit that it comes with a hefty price tag.

Can we all just have a big cuddle now and make up. :blush:

:woot::cheers::wub:

My SS1 only has full boost at 4100/4200. Mayb 3700 in 5th.

Yeah kinda makes for a boring car. Before someone flames me, no boost leaks, different cooler was tested, pod filter was tried. Still only makes 21 psi for a split second occasionally, more often maxes out at 16/17psi

Wow something is majorly wrong there. No wonder your not impressed, heaps of lag and only 230rwkw up top. I know you dont want to hear it but there is a 99% chance its something to do with your setup and not the turbo.

So have you been in an SS2 to compare?

Nah no chance a HKS 2835 Pro S is 3200rpm full boost. The best I have seen is 3500rpm.

My SS1 makes full boost by 3200rpm and makes 280rwkw on E85 :) The 2835 Pro S was going to cost me a packet to get setup, this cost me bugger all, has standard turbo response and as you said plenty of power for the street, I love it.

Pretty hard to argue with the overall value of a hypergear turbo.

Not to mention one of the key results on this forum of the 2835 Pro S is using a dyno with a friendly correction factor as shown by my tuner. Which I think is just so wrong, I dont care if you are big noting yourself but your impacting other people and what they spend their hard earned on.

Harey are u reffering to Dave's result on the mainline dyno i use?

I like Hypergear turbo's, i have installed an ss1.5 on a customers car with a 3inch metal intake, then tuned it on the same dyno as i did Dave's.

The car made 259kw which is down a bit on what it made on Tao's car, but it drives great and sounds awesome.

The power was a little inconsistent but i am putting in a new clutch tonight which may have been an issue.

I hve been in Sarge RX8's car after i tuned it to 244kw and it was fairly responsive an pulled hard.

Dave's car with 2835 does reach full boost at 3200rpm and fry's the semi slicks on high boost, Sarge's car doesnt break traction as easily.

I can keep comparing all day but Hypergear is a great turbo with a perfectly matched price tag

I have seen numerous dynos with the 2835 Pro S making full boost ~3500rpm. I didnt think 3200rpm was possible, was that with a 9 second or 12 second ramp rate?

Pretty unfair to compare Sarge's car running 11psi to a 2835 Pro S running high boost.

The SS1.5 is a fairer comparison, how does that compare?

We tune ramp rate depending on hp of the car. Mostly 12sec or 11sec but sonetimes we try 13 just to see the difference. Very minimal.

I have never tuned on a 9 sec ramp rate. Just not needed

Wow something is majorly wrong there. No wonder your not impressed, heaps of lag and only 230rwkw up top. I know you dont want to hear it but there is a 99% chance its something to do with your setup and not the turbo.

I'm happy to check anything so fire away your ideas, just another note after 5 mins of hard driving it looses power horribly.

This is a thread specific to comparing turbochargers. If we dont care what the turbos do then whats the point of this thread!

Big difference between 260 and 300rwkw!

Full boost still does give you an idea of what the turbo is doing. To me the dyno result at 4000rpm is not the main key factor to a fun car on the street. You can have 200rwkw at 4000rpm but when you go to change lanes or accelerate from low speeds, waiting till 4000rpm to get going is too late imo. It still is a factor, but whats happening at 3000rpm and 3500rpm are very important too.

Thats exactly what Im saying, - IMO I think I will be picking the turbo that makes at least 80rwkw@3000rpm and 200rwkw@4000rpm. What happens below 3000rpms is not much important as its off boost anyway till like 2500 most of us see +ve boost? And yeah 280-300rwkw up top - 250-260rwkw is not much chop up from my current 187rwkw IMO as I havent been in one..:nyaanyaa:

Harey are u reffering to Dave's result on the mainline dyno i use?

I like Hypergear turbo's, i have installed an ss1.5 on a customers car with a 3inch metal intake, then tuned it on the same dyno as i did Dave's.

The car made 259kw which is down a bit on what it made on Tao's car, but it drives great and sounds awesome.

That car made about exact same result to what I was making based on the same boost level, this prototype SS1PU did required lots of boost, I think I was peaking about 25psi for that to make 279rwkws. The current release only require 20psi to make the same sort of power. The SS1PU would be skiting every where.

Sarge need to fix up his intake pipe, once all sorted that should be pretty awsome, how ever I don't find SS2 break traction eaily either, even when I had it on 320rwkws. the power might be too linear for it to do so.

As for a fun street car the SS1PU is a really good turbo to go for.

What are u tripping on. Sarge's car was 19psi. The ss1.5 was 19psi. In going to pick it up now to do a clutch upgrade tonight. Ill let u know how it goes

Right so kwickr33 makes 307rwkw with the SS2 and Sarge makes 244rwkw. What I am saying is Sarges setup is not doing the SS2 justice. Didnt sarge make like the same power on only 11psi?

We tune ramp rate depending on hp of the car. Mostly 12sec or 11sec but sonetimes we try 13 just to see the difference. Very minimal.

I have never tuned on a 9 sec ramp rate. Just not needed

In this very thread it is shown that the different ramp rate shifts the response around. Longer the ramp rate the better the response.

Just got back from doing clutch on Dynafit's SS1.5, this is the longest i have driven his car, 15km each way,

it builds boost very qquickly and very nicely from around 2800RPM and transient throttle and cruising around it is very responsive, but with WOT the boost builds at 2900 and is at full 21psi at around 3800RPM, this test was in 2nd and 3rd gear, in 4th it build quicker obviously,

this car has only the basics, 3inch exh, cooler, injectors, Z32 AFM and power FC, im sure with adj cam gear we could gain response,

As Tao said this is close to on par with his own results,

Sarge's car made 244kw at ADVAN performance on 11psi, then 1st run on our dyno it barely made over 200 from memory, after we had tuned it it made 244kw on 19psi, there is something holding this car back, according to Tao the intake pipe on this car is a 60kw restriction, Sarge is in the process of making a new intake pipe but has run into major issue's since doing so, looks like his car will need a full retune due to the different position of the AFM.

Harey what makes you say the dyno i use is a happy dyno? that is actually quite funny cause if it was a happy dyno than everycar i have tuned would be making unrealistic numbers which they don't. even funnier that before we started tuning Dave's car there was a comment made about atleast 1 person on SAU saying i bet its a happy dyno.

So back on topic, Tao how's things going